Forums Latest Members
  1. bonerp May 4, 2018

Hi I went to get this out today but the minute hand continues to run even after releasing it. Is there a fix?

thanks

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 4, 2018

Not without photos.

3. bonerp May 4, 2018

Photos won't show the minute hand moving and now can't show movie as started taking it apart. I am following the crazy watches guide but can't get these buggers out as don't have a driver small enough! Also can I buy replacement screws easily?

The minute hand was rotating and to stop it had to slightly pull the crown.
    Following this guide
    http://www.crazywatches.pl/omega-1611-chrono-quartz-montreal-albatros-1975
    I think its this bit:
    "If minute setting does not work the first thing is to verify if a gilded pin (protruding from the electronic module) is aligned correctly as shown to the right. In some cases the pin might be broken but it only requires slight adjustment so that it does not connect with the mechanical movement when crown is in neutral position. When the crown-button is pushed the setting lever connects with the gilded pin and closes a circuit on the electronic module and thus advancing the minute hand as long as the crown remains pushed."
    Looks like the pin isn't disengaging correctly.

Thx

Screenshot_20180504-123828_Gallery.jpg
    Edited May 4, 2018
  4. bonerp May 4, 2018

OK so anyone know where this spacer with teeth fell from? Anyone know where I can get a parts/watchmaker manual?

thanks

15254360981566419281807910925513.jpg
    Edited May 4, 2018
    Koen likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 4, 2018

LOL! I charge triple when the watch comes in bag in pieces! ;)

That's the sliding pinion. Please take this watch to someone who knows what they are doing...

chipsotoole, rogart, Baz9614 and 4 others like this.
  6. ChrisN May 4, 2018

I was just typing, "quit while you're behind" and get it to a watchmaker...

chipsotoole, Baz9614 and Fritz like this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 4, 2018

I only take a watch apart if I can afford to scrap it

chipsotoole and JimInOz like this.
  8. bonerp May 4, 2018

thanks for your help :thumbsdown:

Hardly going to learn that way am i?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 4, 2018

[​IMG]

Fritz likes this.
  10. bonerp May 4, 2018

So the sliding pinion sits in here. I'm not sure whether it drops in and refit crown pin when ready.
    I will ask my local jeweller.

15254465955953979254015568308474.jpg
  11. ChrisN May 4, 2018

This is not an easy thing to learn and particularly not in this way. It does look like a sliding pinion, as Al said. It slides inwards and outwards on the stem (to which the crown is attached) in order to do different things. From the crazy website you're using, you'll see that it is usually reached from the dial side as it's where the red circle is below.

sliding.png

I have never seen this calibre but also from the website, here it is:
    omega1611chronoquartz18.jpg

You run a big risk here of damaging delicate parts and I really wouldn't go any further if I were you as you'll need to re-engage it with its mating parts. On the other hand, it's your watch.

Regards, Chris

JimInOz likes this.
  12. bonerp May 4, 2018

Thanks yes thats where I got to. Fair enough though thanks Chris. I don't have the lens for this so will seek assistance. I've learned a lot in 30 mins :)

13. ChrisN May 4, 2018

Well, you hardly started with something simple:eek:. These are fairly complicated looking at those pictures and everything is so small... You get used to it after a while but to start with, the parts are difficult to see and hold with tweezers. You don't want a jeweller either, find a watchmaker in your country and get him to look at it.

Cheers, Chris

JimInOz likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 5, 2018

If you really want to learn watch repair, this is not the way to go about it. If you just start taking apart whatever watch is in front of you with no prior experience, you will learn a lesson, but it won't be the one you want. Even the web site you are using says this:

"The 1611 has not been designed for repairs but you might try your luck."

"Trying your luck" as a rank beginner on a watch that is not easily repaired, and one that parts are scarce for, is not a recipe for success. One slip can damage the electronic module, and that is a discontinued item, as are several other key parts. So this is most certainly not an ideal situation for someone to learn repair techniques, as the risk is far too great for inexperienced hands. You are far more likely to brick this movement than to fix it.

There is a reason that watchmaking schools start students off slowly, with large movements taking things step by step, and fully understanding one thing before moving to another. That is pretty much the opposite of what you are doing here.

I'm all for people learning, and am willing to go above and beyond to assist people who are serious about learning how to repair watches, but I gave you the best advice for your situation - find a watchmaker who knows what they are doing before you damage something.

Cheers, Al

15. bonerp May 8, 2018

thanks I realised when the sliding pinion was unexpectedly on the worktop. It is no larger than a spec of dust (seriously) and I don't have the steady hand to refit that - needing to remove the dial etc. Looking at the state of the teeth on it I suspect it is this that is the cause of the crown no disengaging correctly?
    Anyway my friendly jeweller has 3 trained omega watchmakers in house so popped all the bits to them. Hopefully they can source the part and reconstruct it. cheers! I've bought a cheap pocket watch to to myself a bit more about watch movements!

16. bonerp May 10, 2018

The local shop with trained omega staff say they can't do the work due to the digital assembly. They are sending it to Omega. I'm just about to go in to have a kidney removed.....offers? Its in really good condition!
    Are they likely to renew it to within an inch of its life?

Edited May 10, 2018
  17. palatine Jun 27, 2018

@bonerp have you had your quote from Omega yet ?

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 27, 2018

Here is the current price sheet for Omega repairs:

Pages from Service-guide-u-s.jpg

Since the cal. 1611 is a "special caliber", the cost starts at $1,000. To me, that means anywhere from $1,000 to infinity.

That seems like a awful lot for the repair on that watch vs. any collector value.
    gatorcpa

19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 27, 2018

Closer to infinity than $1000.00.

Lucasssssss likes this.
  20. crazywatches Apr 29, 2019

Hi All,
    I just signed up today and would like to thank you guys for the appreciation of my reference website. It proves that the effort in putting all the information together was worth it and serves a great purpose to bring old junk back to life :)