Forums Latest Members

Omega 98000024 rally strap availability & pricing

1. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

After considering many straps for my speedy pro, I've settled on the OME-98000024 rally strap ("CALF BLACK PADDED W. HOLES" according to Omega). Stock photo attached:
    [​IMG]
    Ofrei has it here (second from top):
    http://www.ofrei.com/page760.html

I could certainly order it for $269 + shipping, but I've noticed that the price has gone up quite a bit since last reported as $151 a year ago. A 78% price increase is not insignificant.

Here it is for $151 back in April 2015:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150415102209/http://www.ofrei.com/page760.html

Is this strap recently discontinued (which might explain Ofrei's price increase)? I stopped by a boutique yesterday and the sales rep couldn't find it in his catalog--end of discussion. Has anyone ordered one (or attempted & failed) recently from a boutique/AD? I've been checking here/wus/ebay and haven't seen any pop up since February... :(

Edited May 3, 2016
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 3, 2016

It is still available from Omega, and Otto Frei are gouging the crap out of people with the Omega stock they have left. The list price is of this strap is no where near $269 US (it's actually way less than 1/2 of what Otto Frei is asking).

Go back to the boutique and ask them to order one for you, or have them look it up on the Omega Extranet rather than in a catalogue.

And avoid Otto Frei like the plague!

3. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

::facepalm1:: Well that's just horrible. I knew that ofrei was charging more than Omega--but not everyone has easy access to a boutique or AD (my closest AD is 40 minutes away, boutique is 60 minutes drive), so I don't mind paying 10%-20% for convenience. I don't like getting ripped off though! ::rant:

Thanks for the heads up. I should have been less concerned about hurting the guys feelings--I should have looked through the catalog myself. I even had the part number with me when I walked in. I thought it odd that he was flipping through book instead of using the computer--what is this, the 90s? :p

Hopefully others see this and use the webarchive to check past prices before placing an order on ofrei. I noticed that on the pages I referenced, a different strap was also doubled in price while the rest stayed the same (since April 2015). I'm not sure what kind of game they're playing with that arbitrary pricing!

4. uvalaw2005 May 3, 2016

Yeah, I've seen similar price gouging on bracelet parts, e.g., link screws they used to sell for $6-7 are now $18. I can understand their frustration at not being able to get Omega parts, I share that frustration, but not clear why they've decided to respond by taking advantage of their customers.

5. yinzerniner May 3, 2016

I feel your pain, but one could easily substitute Omega/Swatch for Ofrei and the sentiment would be the same. The ETA parts choke is just the beginning and will continue until the market pushes back hard.

The Swiss market has softened significantly since the great Chinese economic downfall so all manufacturers are starting the gouge and getting as much as they can while they can. The cash grab starts from the top, as it always does.

To the op @mokofoko a lot of times the sales reps know roughly 10% of the WIS's on OF and other forums. Also, the strap catalog usually only shows straps that are paired with current watches in the lineup, so straps made for older, discontinued pieces will not show up even though the straps themselves are still available and being made.

If you know the part number Omega should be able to order it for you.

mokofoko likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 3, 2016

Although I don't disagree with the sentiment expressed in your post, I will point out that Omegas pricing has not increased on these items for a year. They have certainly reduced the parts distribution from what it once was (as all other manufacturers have done over time) but they did not immediately jack up pricing to capitalize on it like Otto Frei has.

Omega usually increases prices once per year, and it's typically a pretty modest amount - few percentage points here and there unless there are other factors like exchange rates at play.

Cheers, Al

mokofoko likes this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex May 3, 2016

To echo this, my experience of buying an X-33 strap through a boutique, started with them insisting that it was no longer available... having called customer service from the store, and passed the phone to the sales rep so that they could give him the part number, he magically "found one in stock in Switzerland"...

I'd rather that they just admit to not knowing everything, and called CS themselves... there's no shame in admitting you don't know something... but quite a lot in making stuff up to hide your ignorance.

Edited May 3, 2016
    Rtboy10, KstateSkier, Nitzbar and 2 others like this.
  8. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. May 3, 2016

Excuse me Mokofoko, I hope you won't think I'm missing the point and I do appreciate that it may be very important to you that you only source Omega products, but my 3570.50 looks extremely fine on a Di-Modell RALLYE. In case you might think that the Omega strap would be more durable, I'd just observe that for $269 you could buy NINE Di-Modells and change it every year or so! (And you could of course you could fit an Omega buckle.) With kind regards. David MM01sm.jpg

9. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

I appreciate any and all suggestions. While I certainly like the look of that model (and I have seen it pop up before in the rally strap threads), it bothers me to no end that they aren't curved/flush with the case. I know it doesn't bother all or even most--I'm just one of those people. And sadly, it seems like most of the nice curved straps (rubber and leather) seem to not fit the speedy pro lugs quite right (being made for PO's and the like) and leaving a small gap. The 98000024 seems to be an exception, at least from the pictures I've seen. If it turned out that it was discontinued, I probably would have just bit the bullet and begrudgingly paid the $269.

I love official omega goods, but that wouldn't stop me from wearing a really nice generic strap. I was seriously considering picking up a Hirsch Leonardo (and I still might).

gostang9 likes this.
  10. yinzerniner May 3, 2016

Well, since it's been established that the actual retail price is roughly $130-140 or so I guess the OP could purchase 4 or 5 Di-Modell Rallyes in case of worrying about premature wear. However, having owned a few Di-Modell straps the quality and comfort is nowhere near that of the OEM Omega Rallye. The Omega Rallye has a much nicer stitching pattern, the leather is soft and supple, padding is generous and the ends fit flush to the case. Also I tend to prefer deploy clasps and the Omega is the most comfortable on the market IMO.

Just an FYI, the straps that fit the 42mm 2500 Planet Oceans fit very close to flush to the Speedy Pro case. The gap is only really noticeable when you tilt the ends of the strap away from the caseback at an extreme angle, so during normal wear and handling it's nigh impossible to see. If anything the gap is about the same for the PO straps vs the Rallye, if not smaller.
    The 42 8500 PO straps also fit flush, but due to the difference in case thickness the tops of those straps sit above the Speedy Pro lugs, so sourcing a 2500 is the better route.

mokofoko likes this.
  11. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

Now you've got me drooling over the 98000024 again. I called the nearest AD and was told I'll need to show up in person to get my order in. Sigh.

Thanks, checking stock 2500 photos will go on my to-do list. Should be easy enough to identify the OEM straps. I was told that PO straps in general weren't perfectly compatible, but if 2500's are close that would be worth taking a chance. It would be nice to have a few different straps to rotate in--as I've rejected all of the others I've purchased so far, aside from the generic rubber (equivalent to the 980000364). I've got like 5 as-new straps to sell now (not looking forward to that), and I'd prefer not to add to the collection.

Edited May 3, 2016
  12. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

I checked with an AD that was closer, and they said it would be no trouble to order. I'm glad that the parts issue isn't as big a deal as people have said it would be--I thought that ADs and watchmakers were getting completely shut out or seeing dramatic price increases across the board.

I guess that makes sense--that would explain why the strap wasn't pictured, yet is still in production. People were talking about the strap 5-6 years ago, so it's certainly old enough that originally paired watches may now be out of production. It's an orphan, but a popular one I'm sure.

See, that actually sounds rational. My jaw dropped when I saw the 80% increase on ofrei--no way was that a natural price increase. I wasn't sure who to be upset at--the reseller, or the source. Checking past prices using the webarchive, it's funny that 3/4 of the prices remain unchanged completely, but it looks like random parts have had their prices arbitrarily inflated. Is there a logic to it? An ofrei social experiment to see if people will still pay at any price when they're the only obvious parts vendor on the net (aside from cousins)? Maybe the intern in charge of ofrei pricing is using the data for his thesis :)

Funny, I tried putting my x-33 coramide strap on my speedy pro--resulted in that annoying gap. Fantastic looking pattern though--I'd be happy to wear that with anything.

Edited May 3, 2016
  13. yinzerniner May 3, 2016

I had a 2500 PO strap with the white stitching mounted on my Speedy Pro, and it fit darn near perfectly. However, with my 3572 Tritium I just didn't think the white stitching and flush lug fit matched the watch. On my custom modded Mitsukoshi I would definitely get it again.
    [​IMG]

frazierspa, KstateSkier and mokofoko like this.
  14. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

Yes, that's one of the strap numbers I had written down to check for! I was told it wouldn't line up properly due to being for a PO. It's a bit difficult to see how flush it is in that photo--I'll take your word for it.

15. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

I called my boutique now that I know the rally strap isn't discontinued--the gent I spoke with yesterday pulled it right up on the extranet. Doh. Maybe it's my fault for not asking to go that route yesterday. In any case they didn't have any, so it'll need to be ordered--wouldn't have mattered if they pulled up the info yesterday, so trip not wasted. Should only take a week though, and unlike the AD they didn't demand I be present and put a downpayment for the order to go through. They're asking less than ofrei was charging a year ago. Fantastic. This has really changed my impression of boutiques.

A big thank you to everyone who chimed in and helped. I'm really glad I asked.

Archer likes this.
  16. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock May 3, 2016

I had this one and it looks awesome. Here are some of my old pics. I ended up selling this watch and strap, but have since picked up another Speedy and am also looking for a new strap option for it.
    Good luck on your hunt.

120888-69fd0399347f65694ffa7982ca0be952.jpg 120889-ea922896f8104baf8f8ae2c54bada0e4.jpg 120890-c6746b744560744a6faddc3cc79a0d55.jpg
  17. z1109r May 4, 2016

Have you checked these:

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/collections/hirsch-leonardo-curved-ended-watch-straps

I got a Hirsch Medici my SMPcc and it really fits tightly. There is also a 4-way adjustement gizmo in the lug end to adjust the fit to the watch. There are also deploeayments (darn, spelled it wrong again..........) to choose from...Omega style 40€ and Omega OEM for 320€ (insane :eek:) Gonna get the "style" depl....nt when they get it in stock again. SMPcc Hirsch.jpg

JoRiHa and mokofoko like this.
  18. yinzerniner May 4, 2016

Hirsch makes great straps, and I believe they also have a custom-order Leonardo or Medici with curved ends that's also sized for the Omega clasp - you have to contact and order from them directly but it's available as an off the menu item.

€320 is insane - direct from the boutique is less than that. One thing to keep in mind is that the vast majority of "Omega-Style" deploy clasps are cheap replicas with awful fit and finish and near unusable. You'd be better off holding out for purchasing a real one used for $200-250 than spending $40 on something that goes directly into the junk drawer.

mokofoko likes this.
  19. mokofoko One sad panda May 5, 2016

Why not get another rally strap? Seems cheaper than most omega strap offerings, and looks oh so good. One of the few curved end straps I've found that fit the lugs properly.
    Yes indeedy. They actually have an ebay store, and the leonardo/medici models go for about $60, but the long shipping time is a bit of a bummer. I've been planning to buy one, but they've been out of the 20mm version I wanted :(
    Is it custom order? I know that watchobsession has them instock for shipping--at least on ebay. I assumed they were just part of the regular lineup of hirsch offerings.

Frunkinator likes this.
  20. yinzerniner May 5, 2016

Watchobsession has their own "Omega Style" strapsPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network, and they have Hirsch Curved EndedPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network, but the Hirsch Curved Ended Omega Style are special orders.

mokofoko likes this.