Forums Latest Members

Omega 9300 power reserve problem

1. BabsTheFirst Jul 30, 2016

Dear friends

I have bought my new Omega speedmaster 57 Titanium about 10 months ago from Omega Boutique in Zurich.
    While I really love the watch, I have disappointed from its power reserve.
    While I am not a very active person, I am not the one who sits all day watching TV either!
    The problem is that, when I fully wound the watch and lay it on the table face up, the power reserve is even more than 60 hours. However when I wear the watch, it seems that the power drains very rapidly. At first, I thought it is due to my sedentary lifestyle, however, in my recent travel when I was very active (walking more than 10 hours a day!) I fully wound the watch and wore it for whole 3 days but when I put off the watch, the watch stopped after 15 hours.

My question is:

Is there any problem in the rotor?

Anybody has the same problem like this?

2. ulackfocus Jul 30, 2016

Wonder if this caliber has the same issue with the secondary barrel that the 8500 occasionally has.....

@Archer - any tech bulletins from Omega about the 9300?

3. Bushido Jul 30, 2016

I was able to dig up a thread from a couple months ago in which @Archer had informed us that there was a rare problem on earlier 9300s that could cause issues with power reserve. The gist being that the barrel's DLC coating could contact the barrel arbor, cause debris to form, and potential loss of power. Full credit to @Archer for that helpful information.

Although, not sure if that would apply here. Regardless, it certainly sounds like the watch needs to be looked at to determine the malfunction.

4. ulackfocus Jul 30, 2016

Link, man! Link!

5. Bushido Jul 30, 2016

You're in luck! ;)

[​IMG]

M'Bob likes this.
  6. Bushido Jul 30, 2016

7. themarshmall0w Jul 31, 2016

The automatic system in the 9300 is completely different than the 8500. The 9300 uses traditional reversers while the 8500 uses spring loaded intermediate winding pinions. One of the big problems with reversers is the lubrication of them. If they aren't lubricated properly they will gum up and cause the heloptering effect. You can test this by winding your watch dial up and if your rotor starts catching or spinning then you have a reverser failure. I would turn it into your AD for a partial service to your automatic system.

8. BabsTheFirst Jul 31, 2016

Hi Marshmallow, Thanks for your great info. Actually, when I manually wind my watch, the rotor sometimes moves but it doesn't catch or spin around.
    In addition, I don't think the problem is in the barrels or main springs because the power reserve after manual winding is normal.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2016

Irrelevant to the problem the OP has mentioned. If the reversing wheels are gummed up and sticking, something the OP has given no indication of, the winding of the watch via the rotor still works fine. The only negative effect of having stuck reversing wheels is in the uncoupling during manual winding, not in winding via the rotor.

Bingo - although the 9300 can have the same DLC barrel issues that the 8500 and family do, since the power reserve is fine when manually wound, it has to be a problem in the automatic winding system.

Given the time you have had this watch on your wrist during the day, I would say this is not from a lack of movement, so take it back and have it looked at.

Cheers, Al

10. BabsTheFirst Jul 31, 2016

Thank you Archer for your great explanations
    Do you know any "well-known problem" in automatic winding system specific for this caliber?
    I really don't know whether to flip the watch or run through troubles of swatch group customer service!