Forums Latest Members

Omega 8 day clock. Swedish military issued. Fairly rare I reckon

1. Gstp Apr 21, 2015

It seems I did something wrong in my first first post on this fine forum, or that could be misunderstood. So I try a new first post.

As a newbie here I would like to share a Omega 8 day ships clock with you, and I sincerly hope there isn't a clock sub-forum I have missed.

Anyway this a not just a average, ordinary, moderate, run-of-the-mill, common-or-garden clock, but a genuine Swedish Navy clock from the late 40s.

It is marked with the symbol for "tre kronor" in the form the navy used. Or so I've been told.

Im not quite sure of the calibre but I think it's a 59-8d

And my guess that there is not too many of these around, or am I wrong ....

omega 6.jpg Omega 7.jpg

2. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 21, 2015

Thats a beauty, I have had a few of these 8 day clocks, including a very early brass cased deck clock, they are wonderful timekeeping machines. Sadly all of mine have moved on to new homes, the deck clock is on display at STS and I have to make do with an electroquartz and Marine Chronometer desk clocks now ;) Its a hard hard life

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 21, 2015

Quite uncommon in my experience, and yours is quite a fine example!

4. Gstp Apr 22, 2015

Thanks guys. Have some of you any idea how bid the swedish navy was in the 40s? Sort of trying to get an idea how many that could have been issued - which I know might be a long stretch. However there is quite a a few other swedish military watches floating around ; Lemania TG195 and Viggen are not uncommon , and I've seen some "three crowns" pocket watches too.

But maybe this is more a question for military forums than an Omega place :)

5. tdn-dk Apr 22, 2015

I have seen several from the navy on Kaplans and Tradera, they were used as wall clock's on the Swedish navy wessels.
    I have a non army similar model also from Sweden, proberly have been sitting in a bus or truck

Ref. MA 300, Caliber 59 8-D, 1947

Here is one typical Navy from Kaplans, i think yours is different than they normaly looks like.
    http://www.kaplans.se/en/auktioner/2746/vara/1076254

[​IMG]

Gstp likes this.
  6. Gstp Apr 22, 2015

That's great Tdn-dk. The extract from the archives says that it's a car clock sold to sweden around 47 like yours (this is just fro memory). It has then become a military clock in sweden it seems.

7. tdn-dk Apr 22, 2015

The ones I have seen fore sale has the 3 crowns as shown on the pictures from the Kaplans watch. I have never seen the 3 crowns looks like yours, but i am no expert on this area.

8. Mothra Apr 22, 2015

full credit to you gstp for having another crack. I suspect id play my first post differently given the chance too..... I didn't realize at the time that this was going to become my online home....

9. rolexfantastic Apr 22, 2015

Nice clocks... indeed 59-8D. They came with either 7 or 15 jewels movements, both crown or key wind.

They were used also in aircrafts. Besides those in AJTT, i have seen a couple specimens, one including power reserve but i don't have a picture of it. It was probably an Askania version.
    There are also a few cal. 39" CHRO of this size for army use.

The AJTT mentions Norway (Navy) among Omega's official clients for such pieces.
    But i'm sure the rest of Scandinavian imports went through other sources, as i've seen a number of them marked Scania, etc.

Also mentions France (Air Force, MOD and Navy) as a client.

Here mine, a late 1927 specimen, French export, with a 6.7Mill serial and original mounting. It has seen better days but i'm planning to bring it back to it's glory.
    The 7 jewels cal. 59-8D with key set and wind was only made between 1926-1927 with a total production of 9000 pcs.

59-8D1.jpg
    59-8D2.jpg
    59-8D3.jpg
    59-8D4.jpg
    59-8D5.jpg
    59-8D6.jpg
    As for the scandinavian military presence, here's my goggles... they are still waiting for the clock :D

IMG_7114X.jpg
    IMG_7118X.jpg
    IMG_7119X.jpg

IMG_7123X.jpg

IMG_7125X.jpg

IMG_7117X.jpg
    Edited Apr 22, 2015
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 22, 2015

Nice clock Florian, what is the size?

Small dashboard or desk size or bigger like a wall clock?

I like the goggles too, do you have the lamp at all?

rolexfantastic likes this.
  11. rolexfantastic Apr 22, 2015

It's a dashboard with a case diameter of 84/85mm. There are dials and cases for the cal. 30", 59" etc. of well over 100mm but this is not one.

12. rogart ray it again, Ram. Apr 22, 2015

I don't think that stamp is a swedish .It should look more like this . From a Lemania tg195 . That is Tre kronor mark .

Lemania_Tg195_24.jpg

13. tdn-dk Apr 22, 2015

I agree, the ones I have seen looks like this one. And i would think the Swedish goverment/military would have an account and buy direct from Omega, remember they bought large numbers of Omega Officer to the military and also the Suverän in the 1940's

[​IMG]

rogart likes this.
  14. Gstp Apr 22, 2015

Don't be sceptic guys :) Mine is military marked with what the swedes call "Flottans kattfot/Cats foot" - which is in reality Neptuns fork - I in my first post wrote was the navy's "tre kronor - three crowns". "Kattfoten" was probably first in use in the navy around 1850 and was in use until the 1940s. It can be found on a lot of objects all issued to the navy. You can of course find the three crowns on some navy stuff and even watches from a later period. And I have extract from the archives and they tell me that mine came not directly to the navy but through a Swedish dealer at that time

I guarantee you this is issued.
    like this : http://precisensan.com/antikforum/showthread.php?25190-Flottans-hölster-till

To rolexfanstastic - great post - I certainly would love to find one of these issued to the Royal Norwegian Navy, but I have never seen one......

Nice goggles - I served in HV for many years ;)

15. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 22, 2015

Sharing som Swedish military secretes... My treat.

[​IMG]

And for those not properly educated in the Kings Swedish:

[​IMG]

16. rogart ray it again, Ram. Apr 22, 2015

I am still sceptic . That logo the flottan kattfot was used in the late 1800 according to the what i found on the net . And to find that in a Omega clock from the 40s is strange . And the gun holster ? It doesn't say it's Swedish . The OP asked if it could be for a Swedish gun model m/18 or m/71 .

17. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 22, 2015

It is definitely a Swedish navy Neptuns fork or "kattfot" (cats foot). Used at least up to WWII. The font of the numbers are correct for military material of the time.

Gstp and watchyouwant like this.
  18. Gstp Apr 22, 2015

When I say it still was in use in the 40s it was.
    I am not making this up. And I would take the clock as strong evidence of the same if I were you.

If you need more proof and are able to read Swedish you can check the description of this from 1943, from the military museum of Sweden,check "Beskrivning" : http://digitaltmuseum.se/011024371400/?query=flottans kattfot&pos=3&count=7

19. Gstp Apr 22, 2015

Thanks for the confirmation. Your list was very interesting, the one I have- is this model on the list you posted?

20. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 22, 2015

I would not think so. Very unlikely. The M-number markings started in the late 50-ies or early sixties. There are examples of older material that has been given M-numbers afterwards but a clock.... I would not think so. Weapons - yes.

edit - but I cannot be certain.

Gstp likes this.