Forums Latest Members

Omega 5th Avenue - another positive

1. duc Dec 15, 2016

My son was in NYC this week, doing some sight seeing with his girlfriend. They took time out to visit the Omega Boutique, mostly to tease me about it. He said the crew was fabulous. They came up immediately sensing a sale. When he told them he was there to look and see, and seeking education as a relative pauper, they took him under their collective wings and spent a lot time with him showing him around and providing invaluable education.

See, I've told him I'm close to gifting him a watch or two. For years I thought he would be interested in my Sub. However, once I opened his eyes to the history and beauty of Speedmaster's, he has only eyes for my Speedy. Like a guy who thinks he knows everything; I told him he would have to pass a test (an oral exam administered by me) about the history of the Speedmaster before I would entrust my Speedy to him. Of course I didn't expect he would be able to pass a test anytime soon. Little did I know that he would go to the University of Omega.

Back to 5th Avenue. The team in the showroom heard his tale of woe. They immediately recognized a case not so lost. My son said that for a couple of hours they took turns showing him different watches and telling him about the history of Omega and the various timepieces. He came away a lot smarter than I wanted him to be at this point. I may have to deliver sooner than I intended.

In the meantime, no story is complete without a pic. This one is the teaser. He knows I have my eyes on an X-33.

OMB3.png

Edited Dec 15, 2016
  2. meganfox17 Dec 15, 2016

An Awesome Day , Your Son was given a rare tour, they shared with him a treasure-trove of knowledge while looking at each timepiece individually mind you ! Now we are witnessing the budding an Omega apprentice !
    Hey ! What about his gf ? Was she quiet all the while or had an interest in any of the Omega ladies collection ?
    I wish I could say the same about my local OB. Somehow I always end up educating the boutique sales assistants on their current & latest timepieces[emoji36].
    I keep telling them to browse the OF website & read the threads but they seem more preoccupied with social gossips & facebook updates.....

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 16, 2016

Did your son run into @Superdoc while at the Boutique ? I understand he keeps a small apartment in the back. :D

aasuper.jpg

Jwit, watchknut, adam78 and 7 others like this.
  4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 16, 2016

Made my day ... :D

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 16, 2016

Well done....a true enabler.

Last week my son was poking around in my watch box, he too knows he will be gifted a watch or two. He went right to the skyfall. I had already picked out the skyfall for this son and a yet to be determined speedmaster to gift him. He is still too young to appreciate a fine watch and I very much look forward to the day I can gift him my skyfall.

6. duc Dec 17, 2016

When I spoke to him about this, I was at work. He works nights so we have to coordinate to yak. I'll get more details, and hopefully more photos about his trip and who he ran into.

I like the fact that he has seen the light regarding Omega. If you think about it all though, it was inevitable.

7. duc Dec 28, 2016

At long last I am back and have an update.

Jake's GF was very happy to visit the OB and really enjoyed herself.

My son told me he was literally walking out the door when he spotted the book below and the idea for a gift came to him. He really made my Christmas with this. More to the point though, he is learning at a rapid rate. I fear I may have to gift him a Speedy a lot sooner than originally anticipated.

OJ2.JPG

Jwit, abrod520, meganfox17 and 2 others like this.
  8. duc Jan 9, 2017

As I mentioned in one of the other threads, I have a work trip in DC this week. The really good part is that my son also lives and works here, so its never all work.

I finally got to meet the lovely and enchanting Mariah, who confirmed that she completely enjoyed the extended visit at the Omega Boutique. On this trip, I brought the Omega history book with me. While carefully studying it, she proclaimed distress that the watch industry in general does not show enough interest in the style and functionality of women's watches. She was positively impressed with the Speedmaster, and it was touch and go who would wind up the custodian.

Without much ado, my son and I executed a formal Change of Command ceremony for the family Speedmaster. He is now the rightful caretaker of our Speedmaster. A photo as proof (the X-33 where it belongs on my wrist, and the Speedy on his, and some leftover Mediterranean cuisine in the background):

Twin pieces.jpg

Bushido, Rodmar, Jwit and 1 other person like this.