Forums Latest Members

Omega 550 series - if the barrel/mainspring is rough, is there a significant risk of damage?

1. kaplan Feb 7, 2023

Hi everyone,

When winding I can distinctly feel the mainspring scrape the barrel when the mainspring is fully wind, the grease inside is probably dry

What's the worst case scenario in this situation, is the stress point in the auto winding assembly?

Can you think of a test to assess when the situation is safe and when it's not, for example if the auto weight moves easily when the spring is fully wind, can we say that the watch will be safe to use?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 7, 2023

The mainspring shouldn't be "scraping" the barrel. If it is, then there is not enough end shake, or the mainspring is out of flat. The spring should cause any wear on the barrel drum or cover from contact - that will cause loss of power.

Not sure how you would be able to feel this when winding though...

kaplan likes this.
  3. SkunkPrince Feb 7, 2023

I suggest the rotor is scraping the case and it's moving when he winds.

4. kaplan Feb 13, 2023

It's a small crown 166.003, a hard watch to wind manually. Only possible by gripping the tiny crown with fingernails. When the mainspring is assumably fully wound, it becomes even harder to keep on winding and there was a scraping feeling.

The weight isn't moving when winding, and it could move unobstructed and freely when the barrel is fully wind, so I hoped there won't be a major issue and decided to postpone looking into it until the next time I open the watch. After 1-2 days of use, the scraping feeling was gone too and it feels like healthy slipping.

I'll try to update once disassembled, but it'll hopefully be after a long time

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2023

Yes, the bridle slips inside the barrel, but this shouldn't really make any noise or have any real feeling. If it gets significantly harder, then there's clearly something not been done right.

6. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 13, 2023

I have a couple of 165.003s, also with the recessed crown.

I use a watch crown winder (but bear in mind they come in different sizes)

FAC5E68F-5661-4E38-8CD1-606B553B5851.jpeg

7. kaplan Feb 13, 2023

Wow @Spruce I had no idea you were a .003'er also, we have so many interests in common :D I can't wear my C-Case's as I care about them too much, yet enjoy this 166.003 immensely, pictures don't really do it justice, the lugs ...

Luckily 550 Auto's are pretty performant, even just wearing this thing a couple of minutes gets it wind, so going to ignore the issue, but thanks for the suggestion, had no idea such a tool existed, I might get one for smaller tanks

It's a learning experience for me, up to know I removed auto winding mechanisms from watches while wearing to preserve the parts, this is the first watch for me that made sense as an auto

8. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 13, 2023

Yep.

These are my boys :) I was so pleased with them but they now take a back seat compared to the various C cases (Connies, Admirals & others) that I’m currently hooked on.

B80EC4B0-28A3-4049-BFCE-7912FD5D0E89.jpeg

rhetoric and kaplan like this.
  9. tinkercompanies Mar 11, 2023

If the mainspring is rough, it can lead to increased friction, wear, and potential damage to the barrel and mainspring. Over time, the mainspring may break or become damaged, which can cause damage to other parts of the watch movement.

In terms of testing if the watch is safe to use, one method would be to check the amplitude and rate of the watch when fully wound. If the amplitude and rate are within acceptable levels, then it may be safe to use. However, it's important to note that this is not a definitive test and a watchmaker should inspect the movement to determine if any damage has occurred. It's always best to have a professional watchmaker service the watch if you suspect there may be an issue with the mainspring or any other part of the movement.

10. RonP Mar 12, 2023

New barrel and mainspring are coming these days with a quite hefty parts price (186 euro together, current Omega parts price). So If it was mine I would have it checked, maybe a clean and proper greasing of the wall en oiling the barel arbor wil save money in the near feature.