Forums Latest Members
  1. Yelfel Aug 15, 2017

I became obsessed with the Omega '53 after seeing it in the window of Somlo Antiques on a recent trip to London. I didn't buy it on the spot, but couldn't get it out of my head! Something about the clean dial, robust size, and of course the RAF heritage, that really appealed to me. Quite under appreciated imho, considering where the IWC and JLC Marks are trending. After a few weeks of searching and a few disappointing mistakes later, I found a seller in the NE of England with a very pristine example, although quite dirty. Nothing a disassembly and thorough cleaning couldn't fix! So I sent it off to Mr. Andy Leftley of TimeWorldServices on a recommendation. Andy Leftley, holla atcha boy! He does fine work and is very knowledgeable. A few short (although it felt long) weeks later, this fine, quintessential pilot's watch is finally on my wrist. Thought I would share my experience =)

From Somlo's window. The watch that started this chase:
    IMG_0940.JPG
    Found the "one". Before the service:
    IMG_0982.JPG
    During the service:
    IMG_0981.JPG

Finally on my wrist, on a Hodinkee shell horween NATO strap:
    IMG_0980.JPG

TNTwatch, gminnj, TJH and 17 others like this.
  2. micampe Aug 15, 2017

I saw the one at Somlo in person a couple of weeks ago, I think yours has a better case, good find.

Yelfel and marco like this.
  3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Aug 15, 2017

Nice example. Out of curiosity, what was Somlo's price?

Yelfel likes this.
  4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 15, 2017

Here's my example. Need to source a thin arrow.
    IMG_4988.JPG

TJH, Dre, Tet and 5 others like this.
  5. Yelfel Aug 16, 2017

@gemini4 lol definitely. Will be looking for a Thin Arrow dial to swap. Might be a long search it seems.

@Joe K. asking price at Somlo was 3,900 GBP for the one I saw.

Joe K. and gemini4 like this.
  6. Yelfel Aug 16, 2017

@micampe Thank you! I'm still relatively new to the vintage game, but patience and timing pays dividends.

7. river rat Aug 16, 2017

Congrats on your Omega 53 Fat Arrow here is mine had to source a original second hand since it had a replacement and what we call the doohickey the ring that goes over the magnetic dust cover so it don't move around. Just got a remake white sticker that goes on the magnetic dust cover like they original came with that a member at the MWR forum had made up. Just thinking put it on or not.
    [​IMG]

Edited Aug 17, 2017
    gemini4, Yelfel and Joe K. like this.
  8. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Aug 17, 2017

Thanks for the information.
    About 60% over market value, IMO.

9. perks713 Aug 17, 2017

Very cool watch. I love the photo of the movement taken apart. It's always amazing to see the craftsmanship and complexity of these vintage watches.

Yelfel likes this.