Forums Latest Members

Omega 504 Constellation pink 18 KT gold bought on Ebay: your opinions (this time with photos)?

1. TSTAR Oct 6, 2013

Hi,
    I bought a few days ago this Constellation pink gold calendar (item n. 251345052525): without photos of inside movement and case.
    It has various anomalies: first of all the dial, the lancets and the case seem like new.
    Looking the dial, the inscription "Cronometer" is under the one "officially certified" and the star position is too low.
    Inside the movement cal. 504 seems authentic.
    The case numbers are not stamped, but engraved ( 334954 and 2943 / 2954 SC).
    The same seller sells the same watch on Chrono 24 (with the same photos without inside photos), but at a higher fixed price.
    If i understand i bought a fake, Ican cancel the purchase and return it
    I try to attach some photos.
    So many thanks to you guys.

IMG_4936.JPG IMG_4978.JPG IMG_4947.JPG IMG_4950.JPG IMG_4996.JPG IMG_4994.JPG IMG_4995.JPG IMG_4982.JPG IMG_4990.JPG
  2. Lex4TDI4Life Oct 6, 2013

Highly polished case and a poorly executed redial. Can't speak about the rest, but the inside of the case back looks suspicious.

I would steer clear.

TSTAR likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 6, 2013

Case back markings are correct, but as noted by Lex4, the dial is poorly refinished and the case has seen a buffing wheel, the crown is also incorrect.

Get the dial refinished correctly and you didn't do too bad on the price for a wearable watch.

TSTAR likes this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 6, 2013

Too late, he already bought it.

Definitely return it for the reasons stated above. If the seller represented that dial as original, you have grounds to send it back.

TSTAR likes this.
  5. John R Smith Oct 6, 2013

Wrong handset as well.

TSTAR and hoipolloi like this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 6, 2013

Description does not state the dial is original.

TSTAR likes this.
  7. Hijak Oct 6, 2013

:( What a shame...

TSTAR likes this.
  8. TSTAR Oct 6, 2013

Yes but I read that the inside case numbers have to be stamped and not engraved like in this watch.
    And the F uncompleted of "Fit washer in back"!
    But I noticed something else thanks to your osservations about the too highly polished case: I noticed quite invisible written : "waterproof". So it is authentic at least for the case and the movement, even with the mistake on the F of FIT?
    It's like to be a Sherlock Holmes in investigation!
    So, the case was very heavy, because I have an old 353 Seamaster and the gold case is very light (maybe also too much polished...).
    So, if the dial is not a real Omega one with all the mistakes it has, do you think it's possible to find one or ask omega to sell a new one: certainly should it be so expensive! What do you think about this last observation?
    Maybe i will not return it (I paid it 1400 euros).
    Or steer clear??? This F is so strange...
    I wait other ideas: but I feel less alone with this problem and my wife that laugh me to scorn (is this way of saying good?: Thank you everybody to help an italian that dreamt so much for a pink gold Constellation...

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 6, 2013

The problem with the watch is not so much authenticity but condition. As mentioned by others, the dial has been poorly refinished - the originals are no longer available for sale and the case has been polished.

TSTAR likes this.
  10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 6, 2013

Yes, too long and no lume. There are some lume on hour markers but no lume on hands,

Cannot tell time in the dark

TSTAR likes this.
  11. TSTAR Oct 6, 2013

The question is: for this price I bought it. A much higher price would have forbidden me to buy now...
    Yes, but the imperfect F of "fit": Nobody has ideas about this? I don't think it's the polish inside. A mistake from Omega fifty years ago!? Is it possible? Is there anybody that knows another case like this?
    This too polished and bad dialed watch has somewhat mysterious: not everything is yet cleared...
    I have still many days to decide to hold it or to return it.

IMG_4936.JPG
  12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 6, 2013

This is the caseback from a 2852 Swiss Case

[​IMG]

and sometimes you can find casebacks from South America with engraved numbers and scripts

The only thing you can do is checking the color of the case and the caseback to see if they match or not, if it's original to the case, the color should match

[​IMG]

How do they look? Matching or not ? Your decision.

TSTAR likes this.
  13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 6, 2013

I don't think there is a problem with the case back, so the only issue should be can you live with the refinished dial and overall condition of the watch.

TSTAR likes this.
  14. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 6, 2013

Seems caseback mistake is normal for this
    reference:
    Here's another:
    [​IMG]

And another:
    [​IMG]

Samir and TSTAR like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2013

If it were me and the option was there to return I'd do so and buy the nicest stainless steel all original piepan I could for the same money

TSTAR and hoipolloi like this.
  16. TSTAR Oct 6, 2013

Thank you everybody,
    When I bought it I should have understand that the dial was not OK. The rest is OK even if too polished.
    I think I will keep it because I have already a steel one and to find a pink gold one is not so easy; and I will try to find with calm a dial for this. Willit be possible? If not maybe it will be time to sell it at the lower price I bought it.
    In fact, for me at least 3000 euro or more for a perfect one will remain so much...

17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 7, 2013

If you have time in your side, waiting might do well for you at the end. Search high and low for the right dial. However if possible switch the furnitures from current dial (markers, applied logos, hands) to the new ones. It is difficult to find the right dial for ref 2943 / 2954 however it is nearly impossible to find with the matched Pink Gold furnitures.
    If you do success in doing this project it might double current worth.

TSTAR likes this.
  18. TSTAR Oct 7, 2013

Yes, i will search right dial and crown: I'm not in a hurry. And the watch seems to work well.
    If somebody find a right dial... I'm here... Better "there", because I lieve in Italy!...
    Thank you everybody, in 24 hours my culture about Omega grew so quickly. Grazie, grazie!

19. TSTAR Oct 7, 2013

And I wanted to ask what means 2943, 2954 and SC: For SC I think it's Seconde Centrale ...

20. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 7, 2013

TSTAR likes this.