Forums Latest Members
  1. Wils1 Apr 7, 2022

Hi guys, first time posting here. And potential first time omega owner!

I am in the market for my “first” luxury watch and I’ve whittled down the shortlist to the new speedmaster 3861 sapphire. But I wanted some on advice on whether to purchase it brand new from Omega who have offered me a slight discount, free nato strap and free first service. Or buy a 3661 watch that is 6-8 months that’s had some light wear for a really good price. I know it’s easy to get caught up in the new vs pre owned debate but as it’s my first watch and as the watch itself is very new I’m not sure which to go to. If this watch was released a few years ago it would be no question but to go with the pre owned watch.

am I being too precious about wanted a brand new watch?

thanks in advance for any advice or help!

2. justacpa Apr 7, 2022

I'm partial to new stuff, despite my inherent cheapness. The free first service would push me over the edge--despite price savings for a used one.

Wils1 likes this.
  3. Wils1 Apr 7, 2022

thanks! Even if you might not need to service the watch for 7-10 years all being well?

4. cvalue13 Apr 7, 2022

If you plan on keeping the watch, there’s no magic answer here, mate. Sometimes you gotta have the new car smell, and other times you feel more satisfied not taking the cash hit of driving it off the lot.

savka and Wils1 like this.
  5. G4_Chrono Apr 7, 2022

If you value the extra nato strap and future service cost, then subtract these costs from the price you pay and compare with the price of the used watch available to you. Does that close the gap?

If you don't value the extra strap and service, then you are down to the 'new purchase' experience. If you can afford it and enjoy it, then go for it.

Another factor is the unfortunate issues with the 3861 movement which may require a return to omega for fix. If you would prefer to do this via the AD / boutique and the support this offers, then that may also sway you to buy new.

Wils1 and Doc Olives like this.
  6. alakapla1 Apr 7, 2022

For a first purchase I recommend new. Especially if you plan to keep it. Its nice to have the experience of buying new and knowing that you're the first owner. Also I find it helps with getting into vintage collection. I bought my first watch (1861 speedmaster) new.

However since that, I have a greater appreciation of vintage watches and no longer lust for new ones. It's out of my system now so to speak

Wils1 and richiv like this.
  7. bombaywalla Apr 7, 2022

Can’t tell you what to do but my preference is to buy used. You generally get a better deal esp if the watch has been well cared for. like another poster said - you won’t need a full service for 7-10 years assuming you don’t have a mishap with the watch. So, the offer for a free 1st service is bogus to me.
    If it’s offered to you, get it in writing as SA & AD change all the time. When you go to avail of the 1st free service they might look at your strangely & wonder what you are talking about…
    Nato straps are cheap (not Omega) unless you must have an omega brand nato.
    For me it’s not much of a discount but then it’s a popular watch…

Wils1 likes this.
  8. Evitzee Apr 7, 2022

I would generally lean towards new, and how much money would be saving by going used, these watches are holding their value pretty well on the used market. A free service would put me in the NEW camp. If you go that route make sure you have the free service details all written down and agreed upon. Is it an Official Omega Service that is being offered or a third party service? Makes a big difference, especially with a co-axial based movement.

savka and Wils1 like this.
  9. Doc Olives Apr 7, 2022

G4_Chrono flagged a pretty relevant issue here. So, for the 3861 another consideration is whether the bushing fix has already been implemented. If you buy it new from an OB, it almost certainly has been addressed by Omega already. Used, depending on the production date, then maybe, maybe not. And if not, your 7-10 years before service may be 0-1 year before service and without your watch for a few weeks/months.

Wils1 likes this.
  10. Wils1 Apr 7, 2022

Thanks for all your advice.

Yes the preowned watch that I’ve been looking at was bought in July 21, so likely has not had the bushing fix.

The brand new watch is through an Omega boutique who have offered a 5% discount, a free nato strap and service.

I think as it’s a first watch I’m leaning towards new and as alakapla1 said, nice to scratch that itch even if it’s only for one time! Something quite nice about the ceremony of it all.

That being said, the preowned price is 20% less which is a big difference!

Will let you know what I do! Thanks again!

alakapla1 and Doc Olives like this.
  11. Crunchie Apr 7, 2022

If you get the free service offer in writing and it’s at an official Omega service centre, then with the NATO and discount you must be up to a thousand £/$/€ saving.

Unless you know it won’t be a “forever watch”, buying new with that deal is the obvious answer.

GrouchoM likes this.
  12. IceMan0510 Apr 7, 2022

The other thing to evaluate with a new purchase is the sales tax. When buying pre-owned most likely you don’t pay it.

Just got my first Omega a week ago. 3861 Sapphire Sandwich

mrbreen likes this.
  13. mrbreen Apr 7, 2022

This is definitely a consideration. Depending on where you’re purchasing the taxes will certainly offset the 5% discount and the cost of the strap.

As to the 3861 movement, if you go the used route make sure the watch has a valid warranty card.

Regardless of the new/used decision I think you’ll be very happy with the watch. I just purchased a 3861 and it’s just awesome.

14. Wils1 Apr 8, 2022

I’m in the UK, so sales tax is included in the stated price, so no qualms there!

Heading to the Omega boutique later today, still slightly on the fence but one last try on might push me over the edge!

Omegafanman likes this.
  15. Wils1 Apr 8, 2022

….love it

2D95B6C7-A9FD-4EFA-894B-F04E17733856.jpeg BD178F38-D2B0-4447-9D83-753BA1455A5F.jpeg
  16. alakapla1 Apr 8, 2022

Congratulations, looks great. How was the AD experience?

17. Wils1 Apr 8, 2022

Was great! And glad I did it. And as you say, scratch itched now…

The speedy really is a stunner though, can’t stop staring at it.

18. Duckie Apr 8, 2022

Your life is going down the toilet.
    Lol;)

Wils1 likes this.
  19. alakapla1 Apr 8, 2022

I can relate! It was my first luxury watch.

Enjoy it in good health. Is it a sapphire sandwich?

Wils1 likes this.
  20. Wils1 Apr 11, 2022

Yes it is. Have you got one?

Has anyone noticed that the lume on the hour hands is slightly less powerfull than the hour markers? is that the norm? Or could that be a possible flaw