Forums Latest Members
  1. michael e Still learning. Mar 8, 2014

Hi all.
    I have just bought this lovely 18k 33.3, it was quite a long wait but it has arrived at last. The watch is a stunner considering it is around 75 years old. Shame it didn't work when I got it, the seller told me I should wind it up first to get it to run ::deadhorse::
    He has been pretty unresponsive since I told him I knew that it needed to be wound in order to make it run. Maybe a weekend thing.
    Anyway the watch is now running perfectly after some unexpected tinkering, the screw for the chrono bridge was loose so that was tightened then I had to oil a couple of jewels so no big problem.
    The watch was sold and described as having a restored dial where the wording tachymeter, 15 pulsations and base 1000 is, I have seen this before on a few dials and wondered if this was done at the factory? if so I wonder why? or is it restoration?
    I have also noticed the R just before the wording "15 pulsations" which is left over from the wording "gradue pour" I have also seen this on other 33.3 dials.
    I think the dial is as it was when it came out of the factory, what do you think?
    Here is the watch I have>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The movement is in great condition. I have now fitted a nicer looking crown and centered the regulator which did not need to be way over there for a reason.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a watch with the same dial, note the "R" and the paint with the tachymeter, 15 pulsations and base 1000 wording on the top. Also note the "R" on both dials is not on the paint but on the dial itself.
    [​IMG]
    And another one, but without the "R" still with painted area under the wording.
    [​IMG]
    Another 33.3 with the left over "R"
    [​IMG]
    Another dial with paint.
    [​IMG]

Sorry if this post is a bit dull, I just wanted to know what you guys think regarding the dial and the areas I mention.
    Here are some speedmasters to make things a tad more interesting :)
    [​IMG]

simon likes this.
  2. bupdyke Mar 8, 2014

Michael, I see that as original. It is consistent with the whole dial. What a beautiful timepiece!:thumbsup:

Oh, and that’s entirely naughty to show us all those beautiful Moonwatches!:whipped:

Darlinboy likes this.
  3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 8, 2014

4. michael e Still learning. Mar 8, 2014

Thanks Bruce, I thought the dial might be original but could not figure out the need for the paint.

I like to look at the picture of some of my old speedmasters, I also like to use it on forums sometimes just to pretend and make people think I still own them, sad but true :)

5. michael e Still learning. Mar 8, 2014

Hi Mike.
    This is from your side of the pond, I just need a nicer strap now, nice, good quality open ended straps seem pretty hard to find.
    Thanks for the link, I would love to know why Omega had to do this with the dials, any ideas?
    Thanks Mick

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 8, 2014

Perhaps to enhance those words in some way? I also have a 321 with a similar dial with those same "highlighted words."

michael e likes this.