Forums Latest Members
  1. ZigZagoon Nov 4, 2019

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase this cal. 33.3 Omega Chronograph but I'm not sure what to check for regarding authenticity/frankenwatches/redials/replacements, could you advise me on what I should be looking out for and what your opinions of this watch are?

Thank you!

2b790162217f3f95dda125c351876d76_17.jpg 19d6336f611b735604db83c2c9cbecec_17.jpg 45ccd24b9c24f569678eeb47fde2c3a5_17.jpg 55a7cdc7294e357b94ccf99d085af9cf_9.jpg 76bd48fcc2e8997ed7325dad67bf6750_9.jpg a70b6082a69b90d187fdf32ae5ced743_17.jpg a63977da4f5b66829908dd61e00f8243_17.jpg d2ff6a4abdf677ad75dc389a43d8d257_17.jpg e86ae24d8eff4ba986d993d5b9fa58f9_17.jpg f2d410128b495a4e1e55599534fff8fa_17.jpg
  2. budgewink Nov 4, 2019

That's a stunner, and right up my street. Would need to be babied though. I'm no expert but think it looks superb. Good luck with how it pans out.

3. Vitezi Nov 4, 2019

I'd say you're jumping right into the deep end of the pool. :) Even the experts get fooled by frankens and redials on these late-30s chronographs. Unscrupulous dealers will swap out movements from functioning watches with knackered dials into broken watches with great dials, and no one ever knows unless you've also kept a database of movement serial numbers and their corresponding dials and cases. And, because these watches are valuable, the redialers have become crazy good at cranking out aftermarket dials.

That being said, if you're seriously contemplating this watch, let's call @mac_omega who is one of our forum experts on these watches.

For the $30,000 to $40,000 that you'll drop on that watch, it should at least come to you completely serviced and well regulated, but even from the tiny photos above you should be able to tell that your watch is out of adjustment. If you're buying from a dealer and they're telling you the watch is serviced, that should be a warning (buy the seller).

You will need much better (bigger) photos to check the movement for missing or replacement parts. It is not unheard of for levers to have been replaced by bent paper clips, for screwheads to be stripped, for column wheels to have broken teeth.

As it happens, a watch similar to yours was sold last year. Looking at pictures of that watch will allow you to compare and contrast against yours. Study them carefully. For posterity, I have included them here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note that the movement serial of the second watch is similar to your example, which suggests the movement on your example has not been swapped and is likely original to the watch. The cases are both sharp. The dial fonts and scale colors look very similar, suggesting that the dial on your example has not been tampered with. The hands are different, but both styles are correct for chronographs of that era.

chronos, Radiumpassion and ZigZagoon like this.
  4. ZigZagoon Nov 4, 2019

Thank you for your detailed analysis - it has been a great help! Out of curiosity though - how do I tell if the watch is out of adjustment? Cheers!

5. ZigZagoon Nov 4, 2019

Also may I ask what you mean by it should be a warning if the dealer tells me the watch is serviced? Thanks!

6. Vitezi Nov 4, 2019

The regulator's arm in that tiny movement photo looks like it is jammed hard to the "retard" suggesting the watch is running fast, possibly due to a bent hairspring. A serviced (regulated and timed) movement should have a centered arm. If a dealer is telling you the watch has been serviced but you can see the regulator is not centered, it should make you question everything else the dealer says...

chronos likes this.
  7. ZigZagoon Nov 4, 2019

Ah I see! Thank you! I'll be sure to take that into account

8. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 4, 2019

A few things: Dial printing silver or gold? Hands white paint or gold? Hard to see.....case has a bit much metal pitting in the back. Numbers seem fine. The Dial looks ok to me from these small pictures . I do not think, this a re -paint. But have a very close look at the Rim between 12 and 2 o' clock. The black paint is damaged and it looks like it might be flaking soon. Looks like a painted dial and not one of the early anodised ones.....the movement levers are ok. The driving wheel for the running second is either dirty or used a lot and ready for a replacement. the out of kilter adjustment could be a wrong replacement Mainspring as well. Many UK watches had that problem, watchmakers did substandard service and used a stronger Mainspring to get the performance. That killed many movements over time. Borrow a Geiger and check dial and hands radiation, the Geiger should be very agitated..... All comes down to the right price. Kind regards. Achim

chronos, Mark020, KingCrouchy and 5 others like this.
  9. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 4, 2019

Balance spring might have broken right where it was pinned, that would cause the regulator all the way slow.

Tom

Vitezi, ZigZagoon and michael e like this.
  10. mac_omega Nov 5, 2019

Good analysis Achim.

I want to add:

IMO hands are gold coloured, print is gold (not white) and faded copper (rose gold). I have checked it on a good calibrated EIZO monitor

Concerning pitting:

It is present not only on the inner side of the case back but also in some places on the outside of the case back - hard to see in the small photo.

But what concerns me much more is the heavy pitting on the side of the pushers and even more on the inner side all around the case rim (middle case part) - see markings - too much for my taste if I had to spend a lot of money for this watch

pitting.jpg

Furthermore I think the dial has been relumed - the numbers are far too uneven! See numbers 2, 6-8

There is a mark on top of the lower right lug:

PT_mark Kopie.jpg

This is not a damage but an import hallmark of Portugal. This tiny mark can help you: if you order a EoA check if the country of delivery is Portugal - if not you would have proof that it is a put together watch.

11. Romega Nov 5, 2019

WOW! Beautiful watch! And the level of expertise is simply stunning! Great info and very helpful on what to look for

12. ZigZagoon Nov 5, 2019

Wow the amount of detail is amazing thanks so much everyone!

13. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 5, 2019

Dammit ! Missed the Portuguese Hallmark. should have gone to Specsavers....... kind regards. achim

Vitezi likes this.
  14. ConElPueblo Nov 5, 2019

To add to what @watchyouwant and @mac_omega has already said, you should decide whether or not you'd be able to live with a dial that is partially degrading in front of you; looking at the dial it looks as if there is bubbling under the paint.

...Were all of this dial variety marked "Fab. Suisse"..?

15. ZigZagoon Nov 5, 2019

Thank you all for your great advice I will definitely take these into account!