Forums Latest Members
  1. Chad Elmore Apr 13, 2012

Of all the photos of Omega Seamaster chronographs 321I have seen this is the only one I have seen with this type of dial at 3 0clock. It has three larger tick marks at 3,6,9 seconds. Anyone have any idea about this? Also the 9 0clock dial is a sweeping second hand and the 6 0clock starts at 12 and has a half tick mark and then a 2 so on and so fourth. Is this real or odd?

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

2. ulackfocus Apr 13, 2012

Those markings had something to do with the amount of time on the phone. Back then your calls were billed in 3 minute increments I think. I've seen that on a lot of different brands.

3. Chad Elmore Apr 13, 2012

So you feel its real? if so is it any more rare than the other models of 321s?
    Thanks so much for the fast reply, this is a great site I've been surfing on it for 3 hours now.

Matty01 likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Apr 14, 2012

If your asking about authenticity we'll need MUCH better pictures than that. The quality and appearance of the fonts are vital, and if you can get a shot of the movement and inside of the caseback clear enough to read the numbers we can give you our opinions.

Oh, and welcome!

5. Chad Elmore Apr 14, 2012

I am not sure how to take the back off but here is the best photo I can take. Thanks again. IMG_0210.jpg

6. ulackfocus Apr 14, 2012

The dial was refinished.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 14, 2012

Thats a bit of a shame, but as a cool, very wearable and solid vintage chronograph, its still not bad.

8. Chad Elmore Apr 16, 2012

what clues do you look for on a refinished dial? Also how hard or involved is it to reset the hour counter to zero or the 12 O'clock position? IMG_0205.jpg

9. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2012

The fonts are the key. After a while you just know what is and isn't correct. Another indicator is the position and spacing of SWISS MADE. It's usually very low, below the minute track and close together - although some chronograph dials, plus some late 60's and 70's models are exceptions. Your watch is a popular and sought after model. The guys here have seen hundreds and probably owned one or two (dozen sometimes ;) ) of the various incarnations of those calibers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one of the late 60's exceptions I mentioned:

[​IMG]

10. Chad Elmore Apr 17, 2012

Would you recommend trying to find a original dial and if I did would it improve the watch value or collect ability? And is the even possible?

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2012

The Calibre 321 movement while being very highly regarded has one rather common issue in that you can have hour registers not resetting to zero correctly or in some cases creeping forward out of turn, I think... it also happens sometimes on Cal 861/1861 but I've heard of it much more on Cal 321s. The long and short of it is that the movement needs to be professionally serviced to correct that fault and it will effect resale value until its done.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2012

If you're intending to sell on ebay or the like, the cost and effort involved in actually finding an original dial will likely exceed any benefit to the sale price. It does need servicing though if its not resetting, and a collector is going to see the chronograph hours hand not at 0 and assume its in need of at least a service and possibly some more serious work.

That doesn't mean they won't buy it, people love project watches, it just means it will factor into your sale price.

13. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 17, 2012

Hey Dennis :) On a somewhat related note, do you happen to know much about the type history of Omega? Is their current logo a commercial font, or simply an evolution of the older text they've used (which would be set and/or designed by hand).

cgothic.png

14. ulackfocus Apr 17, 2012

No, never looked into the history or reasons they used the fonts they did. My only interest in them is as a tool for determining the originality of watches from the era I collect - early 50's into the early 70's.

And damn, that does look like Century Gothic. I think the M is a little wider though.