Forums Latest Members

Omega 321 overhaul/service question. Original parts?

1. Francis_Assisi Oct 19, 2015

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm very excited indeed!

I have an Omega Speedmaster 321 from 1967 that i bought on eBay. I was lucky because I came across a genuine seller who assured me that the watch was completely original, movement parts and all! I am a novice but when i completed the purchase I had no idea as of the risks I was taking. I took the watch to my esteemed watchmaker in Perth, Western Australia to confirm the original parts and watch. And as it turned out it was dial and all! even the crystal is original.. However there was one aspect of the watch that caused a bit of concern and that was the pushers on the chronograph were not the same. I thought this was odd and told my watchmaker about it. Indeed they were different but the big concern was that the case was modified for the 'new' pusher which would really do damage in my opinion on the watches originality. I spoke to the watchmaker just now and he came back with good news that the watch was not modified and that an original pusher may be source for the reference. This made me happy and I will probably keep the watch because of this news.

My question is... the watch needs a service and overhaul. This includes this like the mainspring, crown, pushers etc and other parts within the movement to be replaced. I was assured that the watch parts will be original Omega correct for the reference so keeping the watch with original parts. I am happy for the parts on the movement to be fixes how ever the bezel can be replaced with an original. Right now the bezel has gone through the mill and has damage on it. My question, should I go through with the overhaul and replacement of bezel or keep them as they are? I want to service the watch and get original parts to keep it working but what about the bezel?

I need expert advice for this problem. I am a novice but I learn everyday. Thanks for taking time to read my question and I hope to hear from forum members soon. I will post a picture of the watch as soon as I get it back from the watchmaker.

Also what are the thoughts of these Omega's? Are they worth the money? There are a lot of watches that seem to have new parts on them and are not original. It seems a rare thing to find one completely untouched. Should I keep the watch? Did I find a gem? What are the forums thoughts on these watches indeed the original ones? Thanks, James.

2. PatrickJ Oct 19, 2015

Please show us detailed pictures of the dial, pushers, movement and case.

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 19, 2015

Without pictures, the only advice I can give you is this.
    Do not, under any circumstances, send it off to Omega for a service.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 19, 2015

Photos

5. photo500 Oct 19, 2015

The only watchmaker here in Perth that can be trusted with a 321 Speedie is Glenn Brown from Watch Wise up the top end of London Court. I found this out the hard way. If you have taken it somewhere else send me a private message and I'll help you out.

Welcome to the forum too :)

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. Francis_Assisi Oct 19, 2015

Here you go fellas. These are some of the pictures of the Speedy Pro I took the movement pictures with my Samsung Galaxy because the other camera did not have a macro lens for close ups. Hope these give a better picture. I was also selling the watch at one stage ( in between selling and keeping now. Although probably keeping) and one guy pointed out so many things about the watch especially on the dial. As I have limited experience I just went with what my watchmaker said. I still don't know buy input is appreciated. Here they are. These are all I have at the moment. When I get the watch back I'll get better pics of what people have ask for. Cheers

20150929_131110.jpg 20150929_131158.jpg IMG_0748.JPG IMG_0751.JPG
  7. Eric_navi Oct 19, 2015

Can you some photos of the inner and outer caseback, as well as the "Swiss Made" at the bottom of the dial? Then we can know 100% everything is OK....

Your watch appears to be a 105.012 which had short pushers ... Don't change them! This reference is nice and rare and is the only confirmed "moon watch". Enjoy

Edit: after reviewing his additional photos it appears watch is not a 105.012, but a 145.012 with short pushers

Edited Oct 29, 2015
  8. Francis_Assisi Oct 24, 2015

Here are some more pics :)

20151024_152429.jpg 20151024_152611.jpg 20150929_131450.jpg IMG_0756.JPG
  9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 24, 2015

Hoping experts will chime in to confirm...the pushers look short because they are not "SP" or "Special Poussoirs?" But then, wouldn't it say "ST" after -67? Man, I'm about to get off my lazy ass and consult the Moonwatch Only book I paid for to answer such questions!

10. Francis_Assisi Oct 28, 2015

G'day!! Has this dial been ever relumed or refinished? Can be hard to tell. Thanks.

11. lando Oct 28, 2015

My opinion is: original dial and original lume, but i have seen lume that has more beautifully aged to my eye.

12. daswunschkind Oct 28, 2015

First, congrats for this very fine watch!
    Looks all good to me.
    The dial isn't a relume. It is the original dial with nice patina and "T's".
    The serial number fits into the scheme.
    The right bezel DoN (quite worn out but still fine for me).
    The hands fit in (lumen completely gone, the hands are hollow, but which I find also nice)
    Even the pushers seem to be correct.

Enjoy your watch!

By the way, I think to remember that "-ST" added to the model number means steel bracelet. Correct?

Francis_Assisi likes this.
  13. Francis_Assisi Oct 29, 2015

Hello! Im a perfectionist and everything must be right. I bought this watch not knowing anything about the cal. 321 Speedmaster. But I chose right in the end. My question is should I sell this watch and find a perfectly patina all original watch? Or keep it. Keeping in mind the price. How much would a nice patina watch cost? 8K? I paid 4K for this one. Not sure if I should keep and buy another nice watch- Jaeger etc... Or if I should up grade maybe even to box and papers? Thank you.

14. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 29, 2015

Is anyone tracking how many members with fewer than 200 posts are "dangling carrots" on the Vintage Omega forum?
    [​IMG]
    Or am I just being paranoid?

15. Davidt Oct 29, 2015

I never understand it when people ask whether they should keep a watch. Do you like it? If you do, keep it, if you don't or you need the money, sell it.
    No one is better placed than you to decide how much you like a watch.

For a 145.012 I'd expect the larger pushers. That aside, everything looks correct and its a nice example but it's clearly not perfect.

Tritium likes this.
  16. watchlovr Oct 29, 2015

Looks like you think it's your job.

luzer likes this.
  17. Francis_Assisi Oct 29, 2015

Thanks People, its nice to get some feedback especially on my watch. This was my first vintage. When I look at the watch I'm memorised by it. I think these Speedy's are great! Im getting a few straps I bought from Hodinkee. They are exorbitant though so hope I can find some craftsmen some that can make me some hand made ones. Any suggestions would be awesome. But I'll also hunt them down. I spoke to my watchmaker today and he told me, in what I had read in Watch Time magazine, that Swatch group are not supplying their watches with parts buy the end of the year. I think this has massive ramifications. So that hurries me up to get my watch serviced by the end of the year. I know these are noob questions so thank you for your patience in the meantime I wish that you wear your Omegas in good health! Cheers!

18. intrance Oct 30, 2015

Can I ask why that is? From what I heard Omega is holding back on spare parts for those caliber making it difficult to get a service anywhere else. Hope to stand corrected :)

19. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 30, 2015

Because it would come back looking like this. Omega-Speedmaster-Professional-Special-Presentation-Box-12.jpg

20. intrance Oct 30, 2015

Fascinating and sad at once :-( So we are basically stranded completely for our 321s. Even though I would hope that Omega would accept customer requests on what should be done and what shouldn't.