Forums Latest Members

Omega 30t2rg Crystal Update/Crown/case brushed finish

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 7, 2016

Hello
    I have this 30t2rg at the watchmaker for overhaul. It appears that the watchmaker is having issues finding a correct omega crystal for this watch. The watch is overhauled and he is waiting on a crystal however it is going on almost three weeks for a omega crystal Can anyone help cross a part number for a genuine omega crystal for this watch? Here is a couple pictures The crystal that is in the watch now is a non omega crystal it does not have the omega logo horseshoe in the center of the crystal so I assume that the crystal is a non omega crystal Is it possible to cross the case back numbers to a crystal part number?
    Thanks
    Jim

ao2.jpg ao.jpg
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 7, 2016

In those days, there was no omega logo on crystal either.

OMGRLX, SpikiSpikester, Dr No and 3 others like this.
  3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 7, 2016

Thanks
    I will have the watchmaker put the crystal back in the case The crystal that is in the watch will polish up very nice so I will live with it as is
    Thank You
    Jim

OMGRLX and hoipolloi like this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 16, 2016

Dibs

5. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 16, 2016

I added this one to my collection. The watch is in good shape. When I purchased th watch it was in need of a good service. I managed to locate a Omega cal 262 nos ratchet wheel for the watch. That was changed during the service. I wanted the ratchet wheel changed for cosmetic reasons.
    The original ratchet wheel has some very minor corrosion darkening around the brushed finish on the ratchet wheel that bugged me. Later I will take a picture of the overhauled movement I do not want to open the watch for awhile. Just in case I may need to go back to the watchmaker so far so good.
    The watch is in original condition which is great. A lot of these have dials redone and the list can go on and on. The crown has been replaced the watch came to me with the wrong type crown. In my travels I will search for a better crown for this watch.
    I may luck out and find a 14k crown or at least a gold filled one. The crown that is on the watch is gold plated not a good match IMHO. Easy enough to fix that minor issue. So far this is day 2 wearing the watch giving her some wrist time. The pictures are taken with a smart phone jus point and shoot. I need to break out my camera and take a few good detailed pictures of the watch

o1.jpg 59255bd4-b77b-4a35-af2f-28f751ea627e_zpswbrvgzft.jpg
    OMGRLX, JimInOz, Dr No and 2 others like this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 16, 2016

My same model and dial with patina

1.jpg

7. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 16, 2016

Great patina
    Looks fantastic

8. Dr No Jun 16, 2016

Aarghh!

:)

9. Dr No Jun 16, 2016

Is the case fully polished?

If so, try to get the horizontal brushing re-applied to the case.

IMG_0010 3.JPG

The watchmaker who initially worked on mine polished it in spite of my repeated requests to leave it alone. The brushing had to be reapplied by a goldsmith (who, fortunately, knew what he was doing).

Cordially,

Art

OMGRLX, smish, voere and 2 others like this.
  10. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 16, 2016

Art
    Your watch is awesome. On the one I have I did not do anything major to the case. Other than clean it with a mild hand polishing. I used jewelers rouge and did not remove barely any gold. The cloth was pretty clean barely a sign of black which is the gold off the case. All I did was clean it. On the wrist the watch looks very good
    . The complete case is polished that was the condition as purchased. In the future I may have a goldsmith go over the case. The case looks great under the naked eye. However if I look at the case under using 4x loupe you can see very fine marks almost like very tiny pin picks those are use and handling marks.
    One good thing about the watchmaker that serviced the watch his attitude is an old watch should look old and show her age. I had to tell him three times to be sure to clean the indices and hands normally he will leave them alone. The person I purchased the watch from mentioned he had a jeweler clean the dial. Which I am sure that is why the dial has a very fine scratch on it.
    However for a watch that is almost 70 years old she is a survivor. Here is a smart phone picture of the side and case back. IMHO the crown the watchmaker installed is a tad to large in diameter. I refer to the crown as my steering wheel it is a large crown which makes it easy to set and wind the watch but cosmetics are the only issue with me.

d1bcb0cb-8e2b-4f18-a703-12b31108eccf_zpsvblo4wkz.jpg
    Edited Jun 17, 2016
  11. Dr No Jun 17, 2016

The flanks of the case and lugs should be horizontally brushed, including between the lugs. The bezel, case back, and upper/lower portions of the lugs should be polished. Find a goldsmith who's experienced with brushing. Also, these cases are fairly thin, and require deft handling to avoid damage.

Btw, the crown your watchmaker selected is aesthetically close to the original, albeit slightly larger. Mine is signed, which is definitely not original. I'm not sweating that detail; to own a chronomètre that's entirely intact save for the crown is no small blessing. (The balance staff is also not original, but at least it's an original rg part, courtesy Bill Sohne.)

Art

PS - the movement number of my OJ2364 is 10646705!

IMG_0679.JPG

OMGRLX likes this.
  12. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 17, 2016

Hi Art
    Thanks for the information.
    The goldsmith that I used for many years for all case work is no longer on the green side of the grass. The gentleman was a true artisan. I will have to hunt around for a good goldsmith. The watchmaker will know of a good goldsmith. Plus local to me are a several major repair houses where all the big jewelers farm out their repair work. Our movements are probably from the same run pretty close in serial #'s
    Here is the original ratchet wheel. Not in bad shape the finish on the cal 262 wheels approach a jewelry level of finishing. And when they sparkle these wheels really look great on the cal.262
    Thank You
    Jim

95702866-dfa6-4e19-9ffc-c27a647dd7f4_zpsoezjdtmg.jpg
    Edited Jun 17, 2016
  13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 17, 2016

10646225 here
    mine.jpg

OMGRLX, micampe, Dr No and 1 other person like this.
  14. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 23, 2016

So far this morning has been going great. I located and ordered a nos Omega crown case ref 2364 cal 262. Not sure what will show up but I am hoping for the best..

cicindela likes this.
  15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 23, 2016

Hopefully close enough - the vintage originals have long been unavailable.

16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 23, 2016

This morning I stopped in a supply house and picked up some Omega parts(hands). I asked the counter person if they may have a crown for the 30t2rg I was wearing. The counter person mentioned they need the case back number.
    I told them this one has no case number. I mentioned the numbers on this case back appear to be serial numbers for the case. Well we removed the case back the counter tried to cross the crown by the 30t2rg stamped on the movement No go. They pulled out some old catalogs.
    The person said no 30t2rg. I asked them to let me look at the catalog. Sure enough under case ref#2364 cal. 262 it listed a crown. No joy out of stock. The counter person made a couple phone calls came back to the counter.
    Said to me he located a Omega part nos crown for the 2364 from his supplier quoted $45 bucks. I told him I'll take it. I have NO idea what crown may show up. I can only hope it's a legit crown. This supply house in the past has pulled out some old uncommon stuff for me.

17. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 23, 2016

These originally weren't signed as well.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 23, 2016

The crown may or may not be NOS, as Omega has a modern replacement that goes for the same price. If it is the modern one, it may be better than a generic crown.

rose.jpg

OMGRLX and voere like this.
  19. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 23, 2016

Should be plain without logo, I think.
    Rg005.jpg

TNTwatch, OMGRLX, voere and 1 other person like this.
  20. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 24, 2016

With my luck the 8100/1179P will probably be the crown that shows up. However it's better than the crown that the watch is wearing now.
    Thanks
    Jim

kyle L likes this.