Forums Latest Members
  1. jgillming Aug 9, 2018

Hell0 Omega Forums,

I am new to the Forum and Omega watches. I started collecting watches about 6 months ago and was fortunate to stumble across this beautiful watch and bought it for less than $20. I don't know much about Omega but this is what I think I have learned. I would appreciate the opportunity to learn from all of you and am excited to have been bit by the watch hobby bug. IMG_1009.jpg
    What I learned is that watches are increadably difficult to photograph. I Think this is a 1940's Omega 30T2. Please enlighten me on details and feel free to correct my errors as I am thrilled to learn as much as I can
    IMG_1008.jpg
    It's a manual wind mechanical that is in need of service. Any advice on what that should involve would be appreciated. I do not beleive the strap is original to the watch but I think the watch movement, hands and dial are original. IMG_1011.jpg
    You can not see in the picture but the numbers are 2390/5 which I think is known as the Reference number or caliber. What that really means I have no idea.
    IMG_1007.jpg
    Here is another attempt at photographing the watch. Not very good. Any suggestions on how to take better photos or resources I can learn from would be great. I think this is an amazing watch. I'd like tp hear any thoughts on how to take care of this watch, what are do's and don't, and getting as much correct information about the watch is my priority.
    Of course additional comments are welcomed, and ballpark thoughts on value are nice too.

Thank you all for creating such a great place for people like myself to learn about this great hobby.

2. Nathan1967 Aug 9, 2018

Hi @jgillming

Looks like you got yourself a bargain!
    To take a better photograph give yourself a bit more distance between your phone/camera and the watch, so that the autofocus can operate properly- then crop the photo to size afterwards.

Once you’ve got yourself a decent photo, repost in your thread, we’d love to see it in these too

https://omegaforums.net/threads/lets-see-some-30mm-manual-wind-omegas.1546/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learning-how-to-fish-the-under-50-collection.67807/

There are many other great resources on this forum - just search and “wander around”. I’d particularly recommend this one

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/page-6#post-1016926

30mm Omega movements are great and under rated watches in my opinion.

If you let us know where you are based we may be able to recommend someone suitable for servicing.

Welcome to OF

Nathan

Mossback and Dan S like this.
  3. Dan S Aug 9, 2018

Welcome to OF. The 30T2 is a classic movement and a great entry into vintage Omega IMO. Good advice about photos from @Nathan1967, but you are going to need to practice, practice, practice, to take better photos. Try different distances, different settings, different types of lighting. And honestly, don't post out-of-focus photos, just delete the bad ones and keep trying until you get good ones. :)

Your movement seems to be the 30T2 PC, which is the shock-protected variant. The two arrows below point to the caliber number (you can see an upside-down "2" under the balance) and the shock protection device.

IMG_1008.jpg

4. Dgercp Aug 9, 2018

Welcome to the forum. Whatever you did for the movement shot, that is what you want to do for the dial.
    This is a mid 40s model, Ref is 2390 and movement serial number seems correct for this watch. As said, it is a great movement. For 20$ you did very well. I suggest a routine service ASAP and looking forward to better dial pics. Congrats!

5. kaisiang098 Aug 9, 2018

Hi there, watch collecting, especially vintage watch, is a really addictive hobby.
    Seems like you have pretty nice piece there.
    Try giving some distance between your camera and the watch then zoom in to get a better focus. Also try taking photos with natural lighting.

6. jgillming Aug 9, 2018

41FF1D18-6E8E-4149-AC69-B75D5A58A1EE.jpeg
    Thank you all for the input. Your help on photo's especially. I have taken your suggestions and hope these photos prove that your time has not been wasted. I am so sorry for previously posting such poor photos.

A few more questions arose. I measured the case and it is 33mm wide 35mm including the crown. So I think this proves it is not the 30T2. Is this correct? If so what model is this?
    711FECAB-4236-40C1-AEF0-968D3239A7A1.jpeg
    Here is a better picture of the inside back cover
    98E1C29D-AA76-4961-81B3-9D0EF8B765F6.jpeg
    Looking at the back of the case the wear would suggest that the original strap was some type of Military strap that ran across the back. It is my understanding that Omega provided watches to the Military during WWII. Could this be one of those watches?

I'm in the Sacramento California area. The watch currently runs but I am afraid it really needs servicing but also want to make sure I don't damage it by trying to service the watch. Any suggestions or contacts out here?

Nathan1967 likes this.
  7. Dan S Aug 9, 2018

Your new photos are much better. Please read the posts above, you have already been given information about the movement (30T2 PC) and the reference (2390, 5th variation). The 30T2 PC movement is 30mm in diameter, and obviously the case must be wider in order to fit the movement. Take some time to do research by reading the other threads provided for you. Also, google Omega 2390 to see other examples of this reference with different dial and hands configurations. Try to find others that look like yours; that's a typical way to research a given model. Do some research on the Omega 30mm series of movements. It is not a military issued watch.

Edited Aug 9, 2018
  8. jgillming Aug 9, 2018

Thank you for the clarification. I will do more research in the areas provided.

Dan S likes this.
  9. Nathan1967 Aug 10, 2018

Searches on the Forum say Pauls in Sacramento or Nesbitt’s in Seattle are good bets For Vintage servicing close to you.

The photos look good! :thumbsup:

10. jgillming Aug 10, 2018

Thank you! I couldn't have done it without the great advice from OF. I hope to be a quicker study in regards to the Omega watches and will be doing my best to do research. I am certain this is but the beginning.