Forums Latest Members
  1. chipsotoole Jan 7, 2020

Hi Omegoids,
    This project has taken 18 months to come back from my friendly neighbourhood watch guy. It's a jumbo 38mm 30T2 movement with what I believe a dial to be from the ref 2325 series. Some folk refer to these as the "Scientific series" because of the inner ring (rather like the later Seamaster 600 technical dials of the 60's). Others suggest there were 7 different versions of the dial though I haven't seen this particular style before.
    I'm making guesses here as I picked up the movement and dial together on a whim as I liked the centre second aspect, and then spent AGES looking for a case. I'm supposing the original may have been gold and melted down. My watch guy actually had the movement repaired some months ago, but sourcing a case proved almost impossible for him too. He did source what he thought were a couple of suitable ones, but then the watch would inexplicably stop as the caseback pressed on the movement. Given this issue I haven't been tempted to pop open the back and check if it is actually an Omega case, but the crown certainly is.
    Despite the lack of complete originality, I LOVE the size and the look. I don't believe the dial has been messed with and the case looks to my eyes fabulous. This is one for sure that will be a keeper. If anyone can tell me more about these so called "scientific series" (if indeed they were called that at all) I'd appreciate it.
    IMG_4310.jpeg

2. mac_omega Jan 7, 2020

Sorry, but I don´t think the dial is in its original state - looks more like a re-dial to me

3. chipsotoole Jan 7, 2020

You think?...where do you see issues?

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 7, 2020

Omega logo, print quality, infill on the numerals...

watchyouwant likes this.
  5. bubba48 Jan 7, 2020

Logo's font looks strange and I see many imperfections in the seconds track

Clipboard01.jpg

6. chipsotoole Jan 8, 2020

That's a great comparison pic. I thought I'd done enough due diligence and looked online at so many versions of this particular logo. The tiny centre seconds track imperfections I didn't pick up on.I thought the blemishes on the edge around 7/8 and evidence of cleaning at 3 o'lock were more indicative of a correct dial for the era. Oh well, with case and repair I've not put very much cash into it..maybe 300 USD or so. As the case isn't original either I'll just enjoy it as it is..Thanks for your input.

7. new_heuer Jan 8, 2020

Shouldn't the minute track also reach the markers?