Forums Latest Members
  1. JayBe Dec 11, 2017

Hi, i've been offered three 30T2 Omegas and neither of them seems legit to me without a doubt. The question is whether I am too strict, or unlucky. :)

I suspect that it would be good to have better pictures, but those are all I'm working with. They're already the "high-res" I was sent.

As to which one I would buy, I am still torn and it's also a question of price. I love the sub-seconds size and simpleness of the first, the case and center second (and probably gilt dial) on the second one and the elegance of the third one, although I don't like the case much. Most probably I would prefer number one, as it is how I expect the 30T2 to look like.

Number one:

This seems most legit to me and is in fact the one I like the most. However, the "Omega" writing just doesn't look right. Especially the "G" is super weird. The lid says 2319/11 i believe (not sure about the "9").

Untitled.jpg Untitled 2.jpg

Number two:

This is a 30T2SC. I've never seen such a case and although I love these art-deco cases, they simply turn out to be not original mostly. What would be your take?

Untitled 3.jpg

Number three:

This is lovely, but just looks too good to have survived in such a condition. I would suspect that it's a redial.
    The case also looks polished to me.

Untitled 4.jpg

Thank you all very much for your input!

2. Rman Dec 11, 2017

I guess you're lucky because no one offers me any and you've been offered 3???:rolleyes:

First things first, you have bad resolution photos and no movement shots.

Secondly, they all could be legit, it comes down to details and price. Neither are provided.

The dials on the firs two are probably authentic but in poor condition, the third is tough to tell...

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  3. JayBe Dec 11, 2017

Thank you for your comment and I am surprised to hear that you haven't stumbled upon many, they seem to be pop up quite often. In this case, I was primarily interested in the first one and have a movement and lid shot of that one, but assumed it wouldn't be relevant to the case at this point. I'll attach it to this post anyways. Should date it to around 1945. The resolution is quite good, because I didn't have to crop 90% of the picture. Who wants to see half of a tree-branch anyways...

Should I seriously consider any of the other two, i would certainly ask for a movement shot as well, but have no doubt that there would be at least the right movement in them.
    To be completely frank, the thing is, the fellow collector offered me some other watch as well, that has shifted my attention away from those 30T2. This has happened to me with two 30T2 already and I want to at least offer a "bundle price" with one of the 30T2 this time, so that I can rest that case. :)

Untitled3m.jpg

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 11, 2017

As for this one , it is a large "scarab". They come in 2 sizes and they are beautiful watches. If you do a search here for "Scarab" you will see many more images of these that are owned by members. I , unfortunately only own one.

[​IMG]

This CK2014 Medicus Scarab is mine, it is a refinished dial, but I like it none the less.

[​IMG]

JayBe and dall-houston like this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 11, 2017

Here are some more, a large
    [​IMG]

And a small,
    [​IMG]

more,
    [​IMG]

JayBe and François Pépin like this.
  6. François Pépin Dec 11, 2017

Hello,

All could be legit, but as said above, we need better pics of the dials.

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 11, 2017

I would go for #2 or #3 if it is not refinished. #2 is an uncommon piece despite the dial aging.

8. ConElPueblo Dec 11, 2017

@JayBe - I call dibs on that scarab-cased one if you pass it up!

As others have said, the first two look good while the third is most likely a redial.

9. mac_omega Dec 12, 2017

@JayBe

The second watch (scarab - one of the Medicus line) does not have a 30 T2 SC inside for sure -
    IMO it has a Cal 23.4 SC inside

I would go for it even in this condition

10. numero27 Dec 12, 2017

If you want to wear it : #3
    If you want to keep it in a box for collection : #2

Btw, Mac is right , it’s probably not a 30 mm inside the scarab case , i would have say 26,5 but i may be wrong.

11. ConElPueblo Dec 12, 2017

Well, since it's a center seconds watch, you probably are :p

12. numero27 Dec 12, 2017

oups ...::shy::
    You are right, I've seen scarab case with 26.5, but this one is definitely not !

13. JayBe Dec 12, 2017

Thank you so much for all the input, you guys rarely fail to give useful input. ;)
    However, this input has potential to eat a whole in my wallet, so I will go for number two and will call the seller right away to start negotiations. I cannot believe that I finally found an art deco case that is legit. Will keep you guys posted. I guess movement pics incoming, should he be able to open it.

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 12, 2017

And often prized.

15. JayBe Dec 12, 2017

So, we had a 3hour discussion and are in a small dilemma, as the seller regrets even offering the scarab already. He knows what it is and likes it quite alot as well. I have no problem (or even prefer) to give it some time, so we stay in contact and see how things go. It is in a different price range and not just a purchase on the side anyway, so it gives me time to save up.
    I sympathize with his situation, as i agree with all of you that it has the most character of all of them and would not be among the first pieces to go, should one ever decide to sell part of a collection.

We were discussing the third watch out of interest and he had doubts at first as well, but I have to concur that it seems legit.

Below are two higher res pictures of number two and three. I have to say, number two looks even nicer in higher res, even though I expected the opposite. It should be quite beautiful in the flesh.... *sigh*

omno.jpg omsca.jpg

16. JayBe Dec 12, 2017

The condition of the movement of number three (see below) seems to further support the assumption that its real.

omnomo.jpg

17. Edantony Dec 12, 2017

I have the exact same one as option 1, let me post it a bit later

18. fjf Dec 12, 2017

That #3 is stunning. The dial is almost too good to be true, but maybe it is. As you say, the general condition is great. Lets give the experts in this era time to give an opinion. I dare not.

19. numero27 Dec 12, 2017

Anyway you don t make a mistake if you buy #3, it s a beauty !!
    I understand the interest of #2 in a collection but i would have more pleasure to wear #3

20. ConElPueblo Dec 12, 2017

I'd be much happier seeing a minutes track on the outside of the hour markers rather than the "SWISS MADE" at the bottom... Redial.

JayBe likes this.