Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 18, 2012

Respectable Members

No, no and a big NO, definitely I am not buying this watch but I am just curious about the brown hands insert and also the brown hour-markers.

Are they patina or brown paint?

Thank-you.

Seamaster 300m .jpg

2. MyVintageOmega Nov 18, 2012

Have never seen a patina of this color on an SM300.........could be a multitude of factors unknown that internally caused this discolorization......regardless it is a horrible patina for an SM300. Also that date window has no border and is the -T swiss Made T- even there? The bezel seem's non-factory original also.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 18, 2012

Is it legit? I thought SM300s should have a white border around the date window

4. MyVintageOmega Nov 18, 2012

To answer specific to your question....I don't think it's brown paint. If I phathomed a guess it would be that someone has oiled or cleaned the movement with the wrong material....like a varsol or similar.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 18, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

Though I am not interested in this watch, I hope answers from enthusiasts and experts, like you, will help me to improve my little knowledge about vintage Omega diver watches.

I am sure this watch is not a fake or a franken (save for the non-factory bezel) but what is it?

Thank-you.

6. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 18, 2012

Respectable Member CanberraOmega

Apparently the window-frame is missing and also the 'T SWISS T' is absent, as per the observation of MyVintageOmega. Could it be the dial had been refinished? Surely the window-frame and the 'T SWISS T' could not have been blown-off by frankenstorm.

Thank-you.

7. MyVintageOmega Nov 18, 2012

As there is no border around the date window.....it is at best a horrible redial that has undergone a disasterous dis-service. I'am not as confident that it is not a fake or franken.......// The bezel seems to be Omega replacement......case as seen seems ok////but that dials a write off. (My opinion only)

8. flame Speedmaster Neil Nov 18, 2012

Hi

I think that's a genuine dial (you can see the top of a 'T' on the bottom right and there is a feint line below & vertical right around the date window ?

I would suggest a poor aged relume attempt....

Also , there are a few genuine 'Swiss Made' only dials out there....like this Italian supplied version:

[​IMG]

Best - Neil

9. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 18, 2012

Respectable Member flame

I thank you and all respectable forum members for their opinions about the strange-looking brown-color tritium Seamaster 300m.

Here is another one from the same people and I think, it looks more descent than the previous one. It has no big triangle and date. Should anyone be interested in it, please let me know and I shall disclose the link.

Opinions on this one please. It is not that I intend to buy. I have already got one for myself in mind and the deal is closed. I am just waiting for the day, when I can put it on my wrist. Of course, I shall share with all respectable members, when the watch is eventually mine. To the respectable forum member, who 'showed' me this classic watch, I appreciate SM 300m no date .jpg .

Thank-you.

10. MyVintageOmega Nov 18, 2012

Seems to be very tropical......too much so (moisture) IMO

11. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 18, 2012

I have seen this word 'tropical' being used quite often, to describe a watch dial. What does it actually mean?

Thank-you.

12. MyVintageOmega Nov 19, 2012

Tropical refers to a watch that has endured a hot country (high humidity). As a result the patina reflects such moisture. Exposure to the sun also can be covered by this term and is not always a bad thing as in (black dialed) watches will often take on a Chocolate coloring that is desired by many. Chocolate dialed speedmasters and seamasters for example are sought after.

13. MyVintageOmega Nov 19, 2012

Philippines.......... tropical chocolate dial.............[​IMG]

14. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 19, 2012

Your explanation is appreciated.

Thank-you.

15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 19, 2012

16. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 19, 2012

Respectable Member Alpha

Now I understand a little about tropical dial, I think your watch is attractive. Sooner or later, it will surely find a good home. Patience pays.

Thank-you.

17. Dash1 Nov 20, 2012

IMHO the dial on the first example is almost certainly genuine, but poorly relumed. The bezel is also okay, infact its such a good example you would be forgiven for thinking it was a wrong 'un. Anyway its overpriced I think.
    The second example has the rare early gilt dial which is nice. The lume could be better but looks original and its a shame about the cracked bezel insert. It's very common on these 300's. The insert is a compression fit and over the years they tend to shrink (possibly aided by exposure to sun and salt water) which causes them to split. It's a common misconception that the bezel inserts are poured resin or bakelite.
    Here's one of mine, a nice example of the breed:
    165.024.jpg

hrfg11 and seamonster like this.
  18. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 20, 2012

Respectable Member Ash

Indeed, it is an excellent piece you own. Seldom do we see such an all-correct piece like yours up for sale, nowadays. It is good to know, some of our forum members are lucky enough to own very nice examples.

I have to agree with you, in terms of beauty and originality the first example is a total write-off. Of course it is over-priced, since no enthusiast will want to put it on his wrist.

However if a watch, especially an Omega diver, is clean, honest and totally factory-original, any asking price cannot be construed as over-priced. I think some enthusiasts will pay a premium for one of a kind terrific example, irrespective of market-price, since market-price acts only as an indicator for the average condition watches, which are being traded regularly.

How many top Seamaster diver like yours or MyVintageOmega's are traded in a year? Virtually nothing. And how are we to know its market-price? Impossible.

Thank-you.

19. Dash1 Nov 20, 2012

I totally agree. There is no 'correct' price for near perfect examples as so few exist or are traded. The good news is that its not just down to price though - luck also plays a part! I am certain you will find 'your' 300 in due course.
    Cheers.

20. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 20, 2012

Respectable Member Ash

Your opinion is great. Of course luck plays an important role. Otherwise that beauty of yours would not be with you, today. God willing, I may get mine soon, though not as clean as yours but factory-original, as well.

Sometimes it is just sickening to hear average Joe, telling you 'you have overpaid for your watch'. Correct, he is comparing the price he paid for his average watch against something with a non-common denominator.

Thank-you.