Forums Latest Members
  1. Castro Silva Sep 24, 2014

Hi everybody! I am from Portugal, and I've just arrived to this forum. First of all, my compliments to all of you. It's an honour to make part of such a great community, and share at least one interest in common: the passion for watches, and specially Omega watches.
    My father died 4 years ago, and he had two Omega watches - a wrist watch and a pocket watch (about the pocket watch I will talk another day). The wrist watch has been given to him by my grandfather (who is also my godfather). I can remember the time when my father used the wrist watch. I was a kid of 9 or 10 years old. Since then he used other watches, and the wrist watch was kept in a drawer (for about 30 years). I really don't know why. A few weeks ago I decided to take a serious look at the watch and took some pictures here attached. I was petrified when I realize the watch was still moving! Of course he stopped in a few hours, 12 hours I would say. This watch has a great sentimental value for me, as you can understand. So I decided to look for a watchmaker, and the watch is for servicing since one month ago. As soon as I receive it, I will post some pictures. You will see a polished case, a new cristal, a new strap... and the same dial, but looking like new... I hope, and I believe so. I prefered not to accept a new, but different dial, but keep the same. After all, the dial is the "soul of the watch". And I really want to wear the watch that belonged to may father and to my grandfather! The dial, as you can see from the picture, is in very bad conditions (specially in the 10 to 11h30 space, and around the center). What I know from this watch: has a 30 T2 mouvement from 1941, according to Omega database; the back of the case is not the original one (no characters in the inside or outside); don't know if the crown is original; a dial exactly like this one can not be found in the internet, at least I didn't; needs oil and some care, but is still working after 74 years! Anyway, I would like to share with you this little story, and hear your comments about the watch, a machine that has been in the war in Angola between 1967 and 1970. I wish I still could have here my father and grandfather to tell me more, but unfortunately I don't. Thank you very much for your time, and sorry for my poor english...

2014-08-18 12.07.37.jpg 2014-08-18 12.11.34.jpg 2014-08-18 12.11.58.jpg

Dan S and Rochete like this.
  2. skipper Sep 24, 2014

A great story, and one I can relate to, being the current custodian of my grandfather's old c.1944 30T2, his 1968 SM De Ville, and my father's 1964 Speedmaster. I really love the old 40's Omega watches, and I still wear the 30T2 regularly, now it's been serviced. Like you I retained the original dial, even though it does have some marks, and the original hands. The crown / stem etc, crystal were done during service, as well as a repair to the balance and hairspring. It now keeps respectable time for a 70 yr old piece.

Be sure to post some pics up of it on its return from service.

Castro Silva likes this.
  3. Wongo Sep 24, 2014

I was suspecting this dial had been redone long long time ago.

4. Castro Silva Sep 24, 2014

A redial?! Humm... I don't think so. I know that the picture is bad, but i can say that i'm pretty sure that the dial has the original shape and "paint". I knew my father and grandfather, and they would not do such a thing. They didn't care so much with things. Their cars, for example, were not to be "serviced", but to serve, which means: a scratch?! Who cares!

5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 24, 2014

The dial was repainted badly by an amateur in the past.

Look at the unevenness of the minute markers.

Castro Silva likes this.
  6. Castro Silva Sep 24, 2014

Hoipolloi, I think I understand what you are saying... and it seems you're right. The space between the minute markers is not always the same. For example, between "12 and 1", and between "8 and 9". Hope it can be "fixed" with this service... Thank you.

7. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Sep 24, 2014

how is a service going to fix the bad redial on this one?

8. Castro Silva Sep 24, 2014

Well, good question, Lessismore. Another redial? I really don't know... Maybe painting the minute markers again... Of course I'd like to have this watch loyal to the original conditions, but that is already impossible. But I will not throw it away! I want to wear it as I said. Just hope a reasonable service.

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 24, 2014

Castro,
    Based on what you stated, I think you will be happy and it would be cool to wear the watch just as they did.....a tribute to who they were and the times they lived in!
    You'll never get it back to an Omega museum piece, so make it a piece of your father's and grandfather's museum.

Many watchmakers repainted dials as part of general service, so your father and grandfather probably didn't give it much thought.
    Even though a new repaint would look pretty and shiny, it would destroy the connection with your heritage.
    If you want pretty and shiny, get a different watch or a different dial for this one and save the legacy in case you change your mind about what is truly important.

I think it's cool.

murph, Rochete, JimInOz and 7 others like this.
  10. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Sep 24, 2014

Very well said Uncle Buck

11. Castro Silva Sep 24, 2014

Thank you UncleBuck for your words.

UncleBuck likes this.
  12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 24, 2014

Castro,
    A movement cleaning, oiling, adjusting, crystal and strap is considered normal maintenance just like an oil change, brakes and wiper blades on a car.
    Please don't take my words as meaning that you shouldn't do these things, they are necessary to make this "roadworthy".
    I would save all the old parts as keepsakes, part of the "museum" exhibit!. They take up little room and will stoke fond memories every time you come across them.

Now, let's see that pocket watch!

pippy and Castro Silva like this.
  13. Castro Silva Sep 25, 2014

Thanks UncleBuck. Regarding the pocket watch, I will take some pictures and post. This will be the next one to go servicing. I'll explain why this will be a serious task...

14. Castro Silva Sep 25, 2014

And what about the crown? What come to your minds when you look at it? Don't you think it is too "large" compared to other 30 T2 we have seen around here?

15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 25, 2014

It's too thick,
    Should be thin like this with no logo on it

7100768415_a473d9e174_z.jpg

16. Castro Silva Sep 25, 2014

Thank you, Hoipolloi.

17. Castro Silva Sep 26, 2014

Started a new thread about my pocket watch.

18. Castro Silva Nov 11, 2014

Now it's show time! As I promised above, here I am sharing with you the pictures of my 30 T2 recently serviced. Arrived yesterday after 3 months in the "hospital". I can say i'm very glad with my "new" watch.

IMG_2703.JPG IMG_2713.JPG IMG_2715.JPG
    pippy and WYO_Watch like this.
  19. mac_omega Nov 11, 2014

Looks much better now - but please swap this awful crown - it is a total mismatch.

SpikiSpikester and Castro Silva like this.
  20. Castro Silva Oct 19, 2017

Hello. Old post... but a new crown! Followed your advice, as well Hoipolloi's advice. The watch seems more elegant now... Hope you like it. I do. Thanks.

IMG_6049.JPG IMG_6048.JPG
    jumpingsecond, Rochete, pippy and 5 others like this.