Forums Latest Members
  1. SERP May 17, 2020

Dear Sirs,
    Could you help me by your opinions..?
    Some time ago I bought an interesting Omega at cal. 283.
    I will try to attribute it and if I'll be wrong in some points, I will ask you for correction.
    So, the serial says that these watch been made in 1954.
    Body, the sealed cap and the shape of the crown tells me that this is a Pre-Seamaster.
    Crown has no logo, but to me it looks authentic.

My opinion is that the watch is completely genuine.
    I suppose that it's rather rare variation of the 2792 Omega.

Another question about the price - how much should it cost?
    It wasn't a cheap purchase, so I'd like to understand, should I be a little sad or happy from the purchase I made..

Thanks in advance!
    Regards, Serge.

IMG_20200517_104124.jpg IMG_20200517_104137.jpg IMG_20200517_104115.jpg IMG_20200517_104037.jpg IMG_20200517_104041.jpg

2. ZIELSZIEK May 17, 2020

I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    This is not a rare watch at all.
    A quick google search yielded another couple of similar ones. Same happened when searching the forum.
    The dial is bad. I personally like patina but this one is not exactly my cup of tea.
    The omega logo also looks off(size/thickness/execution), pointing to a most likely redialed watch. That crooked "E" raises a red flag. I doubt I'm wrong about this but I'd be happy to be proven so.
    The case condition is not stellar, to say the least, when compared a similar watch on the forum that is in very good shape.
    The luminous plots appear to be mostly gone from the dial, judging by the provided picture. This also confirms my suspicion of a redial.
    What do you mean by "not a cheap purchase" ? I honestly hope you can work something out with the seller and send it back.
    Can't comment on the crown being the proper one but at this point I doubt it matters at all.
    Hope this helps.
    Edit: There was a very nice one in the "For Sale" section, if you'd like to have a reference as to what yours should like

Edited May 17, 2020
    SERP likes this.
  3. SERP May 17, 2020

Edited May 17, 2020
  4. SERP May 17, 2020

I still suppose that all correct for 4SC variation, include the dial.
    Watches is in condition I got em, nothing been cleaned or restored. Glass has some wear-out traces, scratched, that's the reason of "dancing letters". If needed I'll make separate picture of the dial.

Edited May 17, 2020
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 17, 2020

Dial looks original, however it has been irreparably damaged by a failed cleaning attempt.

SERP and ZIELSZIEK like this.
  6. SERP May 17, 2020

That's the reason of this cracquelure on painted surface?
    But this cleaning attempt, shouldn't it damaged also lettering? It needs to make couple pictures more.. :)

7. ZIELSZIEK May 17, 2020

I'm glad your dial proved to be original.
    What you are seeing there is patina, caused by a couple of factors, including particles of dust that acidified the area and UV exposure over the years, to name a few. There are a lot of contributing factors that act differently, hence the different coloration.

SERP likes this.
  8. SERP May 17, 2020

Here they are: IMG_20200517_211118.jpg IMG_20200517_211128.jpg

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 17, 2020

Looks "better" without the crystal, but still looks like the outer circle may have been cleaned.

DaveK and ZIELSZIEK like this.
  10. SERP May 17, 2020

Perhaps original paint wasn't to good enough to hold "time pressure" - to me all on the dial, even small gold dots on circle looks original.
    Please, give me a favor; if someone could send an link on the same combination of body and dial as I showed, I would appreciate it much..
    I couldn't find similar 4SC.

11. SERP May 19, 2020

Ok, if anyone but me interested in answers: I spent some time on info searching and found-out that such paint "behavior" is quite common for genuine dials of Omega ref.2792, especially for two-toned dials.
    Just find in the Net shots of genuine two toned dials of Omega 2792-2SC as samples - a lot of them got similar paint issues, so it's quite common situation.
    I have no doubts that Omega in my topic is in absolutely genuine condition, paint of the dial is absolutely authentic and what we see is the view of natural aging (without solvents or any other cleaning substances affecting on it).

4SC variety of ref 2792 - it's rare combination of waterproof gold plated stainless steel case, two toned dial (with gold plated hands and hours indexes) and crown with no logo. It's early-produced Omega ref. 2792, 4SC, aka Pre-Seamaster.

In real life it's more yellow, than on photos - as dandelion flower. :)

ZIELSZIEK,
    X350 XJR - thanks guys for your involvement and your opinions.

Edited May 19, 2020
  12. Dan S May 19, 2020

The case appears to be gold-cap to me, not plated.

SERP and ZIELSZIEK like this.
  13. SERP May 19, 2020

Gold foil on outher case surfaces, same on winding crown. It's clearly seen from case back side and on the edge of the crown.

14. Dan S May 19, 2020

Correct. With Omega watches, that is known as gold-cap or gold-capped, and the underlying metal is stainless steel. It is superior to gold-plated or gold-filled.

SERP likes this.
  15. SERP May 19, 2020

Ok, clear. Thank you!

ZIELSZIEK and Dan S like this.