OMEGA 266 CASE

Afternoon Everyone I am a Newbie,

I have a complete Omega 9ct gold watch case stamped 266, photos attached.

Please can anyone tell me what Omega movements will fit this case?

Thank you in advance.

The "266" is just the last 3 digits of the case serial number. This was used at the factory in the UK to match the pieces to each other.

There is also a case reference number of 121(.)5400. When you Google that reference, these turn up:

https://www.blackbough.co.uk/produc...ld-vintage-wristwatch-hallmarked-1964-wwomgw/

https://www.blackbough.co.uk/produc...ld-vintage-wristwatch-hallmarked-1963-wwogw3/

So this watch should have a caliber 269 movement from the early 1960's. Here it is in an old Omega UK catalog:

p52.jpg
http://www.old-omegas.com/catuk63.html

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

Like 3
The "266" is just the last 3 digits of the case serial number. This was used at the factory in the UK to match the pieces to each other.

There is also a case reference number of 121(.)5400. When you Google that reference, these turn up:

https://www.blackbough.co.uk/produc...ld-vintage-wristwatch-hallmarked-1964-wwomgw/

https://www.blackbough.co.uk/produc...ld-vintage-wristwatch-hallmarked-1963-wwogw3/

So this watch should have a caliber 269 movement from the early 1960's. Here it is in an old Omega UK catalog:

p52.jpg
http://www.old-omegas.com/catuk63.html

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm looking to see if any other Omega movement other than a 268 or 269 movement will fit in it.

Should be able to fit any 30 mm movement with small seconds.

however. The dial will be the harder part. Certain dials are designed for certain cases. Flat, lightly domed or more domed.

Wrong dial will prevent the bezel from being snapped down, but that would be one that’s too domed. Try to find something near flat.

Quoted member DON
Should be able to fit any 30 mm movement with small seconds.

well that is not exactly true , there is subtle shape difference between those models , and the movement and case stem hole may not be aligned if you don’t take the correct reference.

Like 1
well that is not exactly true , there is subtle shape difference between those models , and the movement and case stem hole may not be aligned if you don’t take the correct reference.

shape in what way? Why would Omega change the shape of the main plate. It’s costly to retool dies for different movements of the same calibre family . No different than the bumper movements. Changing shapes requires new tooling for cases also

I measured 3 different plates and no difference. I could probably add in 30t movement plates and would probably be the same.

265, 266 and 283. Radom and all the same lip width and same just below the lip.

you change the shape. All bridges would need to be resized to match the diameters

Only change in a sweep is the pinion jewel for the 3rd wheel and bridge, but main plate is the same.

maybe you can measure your spare main plates and let me know your findings

dials actually move the position of the stem hole which is why I mentioned to find a correct dial for the case

If you look closely they don’t have the same profile . I haven’t noticed a difference between a 30t2 and a 265 but the 267 is different . I had a case made for a 30T2 and It was ok with a 267 until I tried to put the stem in and it could t go in .

If you look closely they don’t have the same profile . I haven’t noticed a difference between a 30t2 and a 265 but the 267 is different . I had a case made for a 30T2 and It was ok with a 267 until I tried to put the stem in and it could t go in .

Top or bottom load? Tried with the same dial?

I took out the 3 main plates and 2 other 30T2 plates. Placed on a table. All the edges matched up. Measured thickness. All came in at 2.2 mm

Top loading. Stem holes should all be in the same place. Bottom load. If using the same dial. Should also fit, but not if using a different case as dials are designed for use with one particular case design in mind

I don't have a 267 to compare. Sold off all my movements years ago when my watchmaker passed and only have what I have.

You could measure your 267 plate, but can't see how it would be any different than a 265 or 266

Just to add.

Went through my web images and found an old caliber 267 and 269. Top profile is different, but without actually being able to compare against the other plates. Not sure if the slight top change affects anything. it only appears to be a secondary bevel before the main one

Possibly to allow for maybe a more curved dial

Set bridge also change to conform to the added bevel

269.jpg

rancho.jpg

265 to compare
265omega.jpg

Like 1
omega30T2SCPC_movement_2_a0104475-1dc5-48d7-b4c1-02718d9ca43e_1296x.jpg
You can’t really see the difference from here,
You have to compare the sides , and I don’t have picture of that , the thing you can notice is the little square hollow on the plate near the stem on your pictures while it is not here on this 30t2

You don't have an Omega case at all in fact. You have an English 9K case made in Handsworth Birmingham. The numbers in the back are not Omega numbers they are Dennison numbers. I can't read them but you can, so that is where you need to research. It is probably made for the 30T2/26X movement but then it may not be since Dennison made hundreds of different cases for Omega movements, some in steel some in gold, some for manual wind, some for autos. They made for Rolex too and many others.

You don't have an Omega case at all in fact.
Respectfully disagree. Vintage Omega watch cases were made by contractors in various countries, including Switzerland.

So either all cases with the Omega trademark are “Omega” cases or none of them are.

All depends on how you define it.
gatorcpa

Respectfully disagree. Vintage Omega watch cases were made by contractors in various countries, including Switzerland.

So either all cases with the Omega trademark are “Omega” cases or none of them are.

All depends on how you define it.
gatorcpa
Good point in general, it's a legit Omega case. But I assumed that @padders may have been trying to make the point that the nationally made case probably doesn't have an Omega reference number, which is relevant for the OP's research.

But I assumed that @padders may have been trying to make the point that the nationally made case probably doesn't have an Omega reference number, which is relevant for the OP's research.
I’ve shown it in a UK catalog, and found the same UK reference twice from a UK seller with the same caliber 269. I’m not sure how much more research on this case is required.

The OP is going to need to match a dial to the case. It is possible that only UK export dials will fit this case. No way to know without detailed measurements from many angles.
gatorcpa

Like 1
I’ve shown it in a UK catalog, and found the same UK reference twice from a UK seller with the same caliber 269. I’m not sure how much more research on this case is required.

The OP is going to need to match a dial to the case. It is possible that only UK export dials will fit this case. No way to know without detailed measurements from many angles.
gatorcpa
Totally agree, and the dial will definitely be the hard part.

gatorcpa
Fair enough You have the advantage on me there. As I mentioned, I couldn’t read the numbers stamped in the caseback on my phone clearly and perhaps didn’t pay enough attention to the detail you provided which does seem comprehensive. My excuse is that I drive for 6 hours through the rains of storm Babet today and am a little zombiefied as a result.

I would question whether a local case is always regarded as fully factory though. They are often (and often wrongly) considered somehow inferior by some. Omega used cases made in Italy, France, UK etc etc for those markets but did treat them differently and the assembly was usually local so there is a difference. The 5 in the case number for instance is a UK specific thing, more usually seen on later Shackman made stuff. It is rare to see an Omega number in a Dennison case, it must be a late one.
Edited:

Fair enough You have the advantage on me there. As I mentioned, I couldn’t read the numbers stamped in the caseback on my phone clearly and perhaps didn’t pay enough attention to the detail you provided which does seem comprehensive. My excuse is that I drive for 6 hours through the rains of storm Babet today and am a little zombiefied as a result.

I would question whether a local case is always regarded as fully factory though. They are often (and often wrongly) considered somehow inferior by some. Omega used cases made in Italy, France, UK etc etc for those markets but did treat them differently and the assembly was usually local so there is a difference. The 5 in the case number for instance is a UK specific thing, more usually seen on later Shackman made stuff. It is rare to see an Omega number in a Dennison case, it must be a late one.

Omega refers to these as "National production" and in the diagnostic vintage handbook they give some background on these...

"The "National Productions" are, in most cases, gold, massive or plated watches, the movements of which have always been dressed by a distributor (Such as Brandt Frères Paris, OWC London, or SCR Buenos Aires) or a general agent (e.g. De Marchi Turin, Norman Morris Corp. New York or Gameo Lausanne). They developed during a very long period, going from the end of the 19th century (mostly in North America) to the mid-1980s. There were several reasons these collections came into existence:

• Economic and Political: Prohibitive tariffs and/or other prohibitive taxes; shortage of deviations; quotas; import restrictions to protect the national/local industry, etc.

• Industrial: Impossibility or refusal by the factory to supply the products required by the markets, due to inadequacies in their collection (especially gold ladies watches) with the needs of the latter or the limited capacities of the suppliers of cases and, consequently, failure to keep delivery times, e.g. before the end of year celebrations.

• Marketing: National production was necessary in order to remain competitive against other watch companies, and to offer a comprehensive collection to clientele in the widest possible range of prices.

In 1985, OMEGA stopped all national productions in order to create a single international collection of Swiss origin."

Like 4