Omega 265

Hey so i recently bought this watch from an yard sale, always wanted to have an Omega but because of life i could never afford one. Now that i got it im thinking about getting it serviced but my Omega authoritized watchmaker said he wanted 675€ for an service which seemed very pricy but probably very fair so now in kinda conteplatin if its worth it or if the service exeedes the value of this watch? IMG20240701170945.jpg IMG20240702111226.jpg

Very expensive, you should be paying around USD 300 for a manual wind movement.
Congrats on your purchase!

Like 2
Based on the currency given, I suspect he is in the EU. Look for an independent watchmaker with good references. You should be able to get that running well for maybe €250-300 give or take. There are several cheap reliable UK options I could suggest but there are import and export complications now so it will be best if you can find a EU based service.

Much too expensive indeed ! You should be able to find a decent watchmaker for around 200€

Alright, thanks for the replies! I'l take it as it's worth the servicing.

Any advice on what types of strap/bracelet that goes well with a time piece like this?

Any brown or beige leather strap to your liking would be appropriate. If you want period correct style try pigskin with box stitching.
These are nice watches and your movement looks quite clean. Enjoy

I would not consider investing that much in that watch, especially considering the condition of the dial. Fortunately, the movement looks superficially quite clean and not tampered with. And there doesn't appear to be any corrosion or pitting on the caseback, so I have a good feeling about it.

Like 1
Over the last 30 years (with a big gap) I learned to self service my watches. It is really satisfying. Does make one appreciate the time and effort involved.

A professional will be servicing between 3 or 4 watches a day. There is also overhead to consider.

Predicting the future is problematic. 20 years ago, when my older watch collecting friends passed away I thought watch collecting was dead. My inbox was full of scams and phishing attempts. Huge lots of century old parts were being used for art projects in the steampunk world. (I moved over to pipe organs.) Now the self playing mechanical music collectors who hoarded all the good stuff are at a generational shift.

Now things have swung the other way. At the moment it is a buyers market for things like the OP's example. The information available has settled down. It has become easier to thresh the good from the bad.

I also play around with cameras. What one finds in any collectable is there are windows of opportunity. There used to be big monthly or quarterly doll shows. Same thing applies.

The other thing one finds themselves collecting is information. Be it books, ephemera or links and offline downloads of websites.

Featureless threehanders like the OPs watch do not turn up all that often in the parts assortment listings. This would hint at they are being maintained. Such are what keep the hardware store, estate consignment and mall shops open.