Forums Latest Members

SOLD OMEGA 2545-1 Super Jumbo 39mm Cal 283 1948

1. MikeMan2727 Feb 2, 2018

Hello all. In the next few weeks I will be listing a few watches from the collection. It is tough to see them go but I have a new car purchase coming up and need to free up some cash.

First up is a quite uncommon (some would say rare) Omega reference 2545. The 11.6 million serial number dates this watch to around 1948. The 39 mm case size combine with center sweep seconds makes this watch very unusual for the era. My favorite feature about this watch is the beautiful and even patina that has developed on the dial. Some may call it tropical, but I think it looks nice a nice suntan :)

Case: Thick 80 micron rose gold plated (rolled gold). Overall, the case appears unpolished with sharp lines throughout. Lugs are nice and thick. There are tiny superficial nicks and scratches, commensurate with age. Case measures an impressive 39 mm without crown and 45 mm lug to lug. Lug width is 20 mm.

Crown: Unmarked crown. The plating has worn off of the crown and I am unsure if it original. For the sake of this listing, let’s assume it was replace.

Caseback: Snap down caseback. Inside is marked 2545-1. “Plaque Or L 80 microns.” “Central Watch Case Co.” Numerous watchmakers service marks are seen. There is some wear to the caseback where it has been opened (See 9 o clock side photo).

Movement: Clean cal 283 movement, which is a 30mm movement. This watch was obviously serviced in the past given all the marks on the inside caseback. It was not serviced in my possession because it has been winding and running smoothly. No noticeable gain or loss of time in 24 hours. I do, however, suggest a service if you intend to wear it as your daily watch.

Dial: Original unrestored dial in excellent overall condition. It has developed a beautiful even “sun tan / tropical patina.” There is a small central clearing in the patina, likely due to the gold content of the hands. Applied gold numerals. Unusual seconds track surrounding the hour markers. “Swiss Made” under the 30 seconds mark.

Hands: Original hands in excellent condition. Blued seconds hand, which pops in certain light setting.

Crystal: Unmarked crystal, which may possible be original.

Strap: Thick 20mm alligator embossed brown leather strap with unsigned stainless steel buckle.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

For this watch, I am asking $1500 which will include shipping in the USA. Happy to accept bank wire, Venmo, Paypal Friends and Family. International deals will ship at cost to buyer. TransferWise works nicely for international deals.

Returns if watch is grossly misrepresented. I have had transactions on this forum with reviews posted in the Seller Profile section.

7.jpg
    cosmofox, Syrte, Paedipod and 12 others like this.
  2. bigsom Feb 2, 2018

Oh wow, I've only seen one of these before. Too many incoming, must resist!

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 3, 2018

WOW!! ::love::

I don't buy gold, but this one would most definitely be the exception!

... and now OHPF. Grats to both!

MikeMan2727 likes this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 4, 2018

beautiful dial.