Forums Latest Members
  1. AaronLynch Feb 14, 2019

Hey friends,
    I'm new to the forum and new to vintage watch collecting in general (so be as nice as you can). A little backstory... my grandfather used to wear an Omega that was to be our family's heirloom piece. Long story short, that watch is no longer in the family and I've been wanting to track one down for a long time now. I've spent a while researching the Omega military watches that were made during the 40's and 50's as that is what we know my grandfather wore. I haven't been blessed with a model number or any decent pictures of him wearing the watch but I stumbled on an offer on Chrono24 and I'm positive that I have finally found the right watch.
    It's only listed as a reference 2505 and is fitted with a cal 266 movement. Here are a few pictures from the listing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The seller lists the case at 37mm and the year of manufacture at 1960. Serial number: 14,385,XXX

I was hoping I could use the wealth of knowledge from this forum to figure out a few things...

First and foremost, I would love to find out if this watch is authentic. I've been searching for reference material but haven't been able to find anything that helps me verify this specific watch.

Next is the price.... they are asking just shy of $3,000 USD and that seems steep to me. But then again, I haven't seen an offering like this is my searches.

Any insight you might have for me would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if I have missed a previous post on this site with the info I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
    Aaron

Edited Feb 14, 2019
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 14, 2019

Hello and welcome to OF.

That watch has a repainted dial and overpriced about 10 times it should be ( maybe 9).
    One thing I am pretty sure is your grandpa did not have something like that on his wrist in the 40's and 50's. Maybe a 35 mm with lume and waterproof.
    Try to search for 2179 and you will have an idea what I like to recommend .
    Regards.
    Hoi.

wsfarrell likes this.
  3. AaronLynch Feb 14, 2019

Thank you so much for the info! The price seemed way out of the park for the model but I wasn't sure if this was some rare configuration. I'm not sure when my grandfather received the watch so the 40's to 50's estimate was just that. From all the information my family has gathered, the larger 37/38mm version is what he wore. If anything, I'm happy to gather some more information and use this as a jumping off point.

Cheers

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 14, 2019

My advice to you at this time is not buying anything, you should find the meaning of redial, frankened, overpolished etc....first.
    Take your time and read more about Omega 30 mm movements and case references going with it then decide from there.
    Good luck and hope you have a good time here.

AaronLynch likes this.
  5. AaronLynch Feb 14, 2019

I definitely agree. Thanks again for your advice. I'll definitely have a blast continuing with the research.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 14, 2019

7. AaronLynch Feb 14, 2019

8. jimmyd13 Feb 14, 2019

Welcome @AaronLynch - it's an absolute pleasure to read such a well thought out introduction. I wish mine had been as good.

I'm not going to comment on the watch you've offered up as it's outside my area of knowledge. What I will ask instead is:
    1) where and in what branch of the services did your grandfather serve?
    2) was the watch white faced?
    3) can you possibly recall if there was a subdial at the 6 o clock position (a subsidiary seconds)?
    4) do you know if the watch was issued to him or if he simply bought it while in the services?

Depending on your answers, we might be able to narrow down your search significantly.

AaronLynch likes this.
  9. OMEGuy Feb 14, 2019

I wish you will find your grandfather's watch. :) And so I'm posting here, trying to help, while I'm not an expert on these 2505 at all.

I think the watch you are looking for might be a ref. 2505-12 from the late 40's.

I have seen this 2505-12 a couple of times before, but never owned one. For sure there are experts around here who can give better advice.

Anyway, here is what I had in mind reading your thread (please note the numerals on this dial are raised/applied):

[​IMG]

Reading your information and looking at your pictures, these are my thoughts:

The dial does not look correct. I believe it's a redial and the hands are wrong as well. I would expect a cal. 265 movement for this ref. with earlier serial number. The case is polished down.

That said I believe that the watch you are showing here is most likely a franken watch (with mixed up and refinished parts).

And yeah - the price...:eek:

So think it over and try to find the real thing! :)

Edited Feb 14, 2019
    AaronLynch likes this.
  10. Dan S Feb 14, 2019

There were several jumbo references from that era. Ref 2609 also comes to mind.

11. OMEGuy Feb 14, 2019

I am with you. The trouble is, that those days they had more variations on dials and cases than today... And that's really hard to believe. :D

Can you post a picture of a watch you're thinking of for ref. 2609?

12. AaronLynch Feb 14, 2019

Thank you for the kind words!
    My grandfather served with the USAF and was stationed in Japan for the most part. From my research, it doesn't seem like he would have been officially issued an Omega. He did eventually start delivering post for the military and looking at the other collectibles he has left behind, I'm convinced he must have traded with another soldier for the Omega (perhaps using a Hamilton or Bulova that he might have actually been issued).

I realize that leaves the trail cold but I do remember the dial. From what we've gathered so far, the 2505-12 or 2505-08 dial looks spot on.
    The white dial and subdial at 6 o'clock is correct.

Thanks again for all of your help. I'm blown away by the support. Admittedly, I haven't always had an interest in horology but man... the search for this watch has got me hooked.

Edited Feb 14, 2019
    jimmyd13 and OMEGuy like this.
  13. Dan S Feb 14, 2019

14. jimmyd13 Feb 15, 2019

If you'd said he was British, I'd have instantly guessed at the HS-x that were issued by the RN. That you say he was based in Japan and may have traded with other forces, then perhaps it could still be something like the HS8?
    https://www.poshtime.com/473.004/Omega-Fleet-Air-Arm-HS8-c.-1943.php

15. Chris75 Feb 1, 2020

Hello,
    I am sorry to reopen an old post.

I was offered from a well known dealer and collector with a very good reputation a watch that was originally purchased from the same London dealer of the one of the opener.

As far as I know VWCLTD is also a very reputable dealer and, among others, is also kind of specialized in these oversized Omega.

https://www.vwcltd.com/portfolio-item/the-omega-oversize-collection-by-jatucka/

Are you sure the one of the opener is repainted?

I don't know if I am allowed to post the one was offered me, but since conditions are very similar and provenance was kind of a guarantee I would like to understand better.

16. Dan S Feb 1, 2020

Please start a new thread and post photos. Your link does not refer to a particular watch, but in any case, photos are preferred to links.