Forums Latest Members
  1. teabee Nov 28, 2014

Hello Omega Forum Members,

I am ( a noob ) looking for a vintage Omega for occasional use.

I came across the following 40's model. The seller has disclosed the following:
    1. The dial has been refinished
    2. The crown is unmarked
    3. The crystal has been replaced (acrylic)
    4. Original 351 cal 2421-1 bumper auto movement has been serviced and runs well

Seller is asking US$750.

Did the model originally come with a signed crown ? (seller did not know the answer for this watch)
    Did this model originally have radium lume ? (seller did not know the answer for this watch)
    Do you think it is a good buy for the intended use ?

If purchased, I do not intend to sell it. It will be for my occasional use, and I am ok with a refinished dial and moderate amounts of case wear.

Thank you for your time !

Regards,

TB

omega351.jpg
  2. John R Smith Nov 28, 2014

Hello TB

In answer to your questions -

The unsigned "bowler-hat" crown is correct. Yes, the lume would have been radium on this watch. The seller is asking too much for this reference with a refinished dial, so no, IMO this is not a good buy.

Best wishes, John

teabee likes this.
  3. marturx Nov 28, 2014

That watch should house Omega's first automatic movement from 1943, the 28.10 RA.PC, or possibly the 30.10 RA.PC. If it's a cal 351 in it, it's a Franken watch, besides the redial and the polished case

SpikiSpikester and teabee like this.
  4. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 28, 2014

Case looks very much like my (original) cal 351 ref 2480/2584. USD 750 would be within shooting distance of mine if I was in the market for selling it (I am not).;)
    The one you are being offered looks to be made up with bits from different drawers and may be functional as such, but not worth more than its parts value. Walk away! There are just so many nicer and more correct (not hard) ones out there!
    IMG_3003-kopi.jpg

bardamu and teabee like this.
  5. teabee Nov 28, 2014

Thank you all for responding. I did some research after posting my question, and thought I would post the links for future reference.

Previously, marturx informed this watch came with 28.10 RA. This is also supported by the information here: http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/25...odel-24211-bumper-automatic-mens-watch-c1946/

However, a search for 28.10 led me to some information from Omega's vintage lookup that says Cal 351 was formerly called 28.10 T1 RA SC, and the dial looks like what northernman has posted above. http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=20757.

I also noticed that cal 351 movement dates to 1949-50, whereas the dial in the watch in question appears to be from 1946 or so.
    As advised, I will be taking a pass on this watch.