Forums Latest Members

Omega 200m Pre-Bond with a strange movement. ETA replacement or something else?

1. msp1518 Mar 6, 2014

Gents (and ladies), I snagged an Omega Seamaster 200m Pre-Bond (two toned) off the Bay. The owner believed it likely had a 1438 and from the case back, that's what I'd have guessed. Well, upon bringing it to a jeweler sort of nearby (I'm currently in New Bern NC and there are ZERO Omega people dealers or reps here) and opening the case back I discovered a movement stamped 1441, but it doesn't look like the duel version I see pics of all over the net.

Here is what the very famous 1441 is known to look like. Note the two silver crystals...

[​IMG]

That movement was not used by Omega for long. It was quickly replaced with the 1438.

Now my movement does look like a 1441 posted in another thread over at Watch u seek. Here is a picture of that movement (the one posted in that forum thread):

[​IMG]

Okay, so you with me so far? Now here is the movement in MY Omega Seamaster Pro 200m...

[​IMG]

Very sorry about the terrible iPhone pic. I could not get a clear shot. So these two movements looks alike, but that OMEGA 1441 printing seems out of place. But clearly the two movements above are not the same as the 1441 posted at top.

The thing is, my movement looks like this ETA movement used in a few Longines...

[​IMG]

I'm really stumped. I paid $640 for my Omega and really love it (the seller has been terrific, I might add). The jeweler who sized it for me today believes the case, bracelet, clasp, case back, hands, face are all genuine, though he admits he doesn't come across many Omegas and has seen few 1441 movements and therefore cannot judge them. How I wish I was currently in NYC!

Anyway... I can return the Omega tomorrow for a refund, or I can keep it. My plan would to eventually have it serviced and restored. Not likely by Omega, since they will take forever, but more likely by someone like IWW (International Watch Works) since they will pay real close attention to making the watch look as though it were brand spanking new.

Advise please? Opinions? What the heck is in my Omega case?

Here are shots of the watch itself...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Mar 6, 2014

Seems correct to me. These quartz movements were used across the Swatch group collections and 1441 was designated as the OMega calibre. I'm assuming your example is a 396.1041, and in the later versions of this pre-Bond the cal 1441 was under the bonnet. I believe the 1338 was an earlier iteration in this model.

Cheers

Desmond

3. webvan Mar 7, 2014

It's fine, not the original electronic circuit probably (went faulty?) but it was replaced by a genuine ETA part and the new one is also Thermo Compensated (see the +/- 0.33 spm) adjustment terminals so you can get it to tick at +/- 2 spy unassisted (unlike RC or GPS watches) a fabulous feat when you think of it!

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 7, 2014

If you look at the movement plate in every photo you posted, they are all ETA movements mate...

Cheers, Al

5. msp1518 Mar 7, 2014

Gents, thank you so much for your help. I am certified newbie and needed to be sure of what I had. I am now stress free.

6. msp1518 Apr 2, 2014

Gents,

I have more information on the movement in my Pre-Bond. It is 100% genuine and 100% Omega. Apparently for a short while a non-thermocompensated version of the 1441 was used before Omega switched to the 1438. The movement number and case number have been checked with Omega and they have definitively stated it's A-okay. There is no doubt.

So how's that for an interesting turn of events?

If you find one in your Omega Seamaster Pre-Bond, it's meant to be there and likely the most rare of all movements used in the Pre-Bond.

7. msp1518 Sep 18, 2016

You can only find the 1441 used. I actually have two NOS 1441 movements, purchased from a Swiss dealer off of eBay. There is no modern equivalent from ETA or Omega. The 1441 was replaced with the 1438, later replaced by the 1538. Someone please correct me if I'm getting the numbers wrong.

tchipchase and webvan like this.