Forums Latest Members
  1. Vaanxii May 11, 2019

Greetings Vintage connoisseurs :)

today i present to you Omega 1979ish. My father gave it to me as a gift when i graduated from college this year, he inherited it from his father, my grandfather. Thought i don't have much information on what the type of the watch is (Seamaster maybe?) but i got pictures for you and questions.

[​IMG]
    The leather strap is NOT original.

[​IMG]
    Original crown.

[​IMG]
    Some damage on the other side.

[​IMG]
    Stainless steel back. and minor damages on the lugs.

[​IMG]
    Close up shot, face undamaged, glass is scratched.

[​IMG]
    The mark is "20 Omega mark"

The watch runs perfectly, thought it was never serviced, i'm,going to service it once i get a job :).

The "20 Omega mark" is bugging me though, should it be there? or is it engraved by someone other than Omega it self?

If anyone have information regarding the watch, im willing to learn.

Cheers :D

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 11, 2019

This means that the case is gold-plated, 20 microns thick and made by Omega.

At the end of the 1970's Omega was making dozens of different models every year. Many of them are not listed in their online database.

This is the closest one I could find:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-geneve-omega-md-166-0117

Note that the "Geneve" and "DeVille" names were used on watches in some countries and not in others.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. Vaanxii May 11, 2019

Wow thanks Gatorcpa!
    another question, do you think it's restore-able? though when i wear it the damages usually are unseen, but i would love to pass it on in the future in a perfect shape :)

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 11, 2019

Absolutely.

It will need a movement service. This can be done by any competent watchmaker who is familiar with vintage Omegas.

Other than that, I don't think there is much to restore. The watch looks to be in pretty good condition overall.
    gatorcpa

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! May 12, 2019

I had one quite like that. It’s charming but not massively valuable, it’ll be a 1020 series movement or a 1022 maybe. To be blunt, these weren’t Omega’s finest hour but it’s certainly worth putting right. Be aware that the plated case can’t really be improved but the movement certainly can. A good wipe with a cape cod cloth will help if the case is tarnished or scratched. The glass can be changed.

FYI mine was a 166.0202.12 Yes I know the case number will looks screwy to other old hands on here but the extra digits were dial specific.

Edited May 12, 2019