Forums Latest Members
  1. marsav Dec 3, 2016

Hello I am a newbie in the world of vintage watches. Having searched quite a bit I am considering purchasing an Omega 1965 Seamaster 600 ref. 136.011. The supplier is "Connoisseur Of Time" from chrono24 who also has a very good rating at eBay. The serial number seems to match the year of manufacturer and to my eyes seems a decent vintage but I am not sure. Although I read some threads I am still not able to tell if the dial of this watch is repainted or if the hands are the original or if the polish is too much/undesired. Your advise on these matters and in whatever else you think is important, is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 12.41.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 12.41.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 12.43.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 12.42.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 12.49.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 12.48.47 PM.png
  2. Vicke Dec 3, 2016

Have you even cared to read the description on the site you are referring to?

Edited Dec 3, 2016
  3. Vicke Dec 3, 2016

In my opinion any polishing/refinfishing is a no go. But if you like the look of a watch and want to wear it as is, go ahead.

4. Davidt Dec 3, 2016

Come on.

The description says the dial has been refinished.

5. Screwbacks Dec 3, 2016

it's called new vintage.;)

6. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 3, 2016

Welcome Marsav,

Not many things from 1965 show zero patina/aging as this example does. Expect to see some type of aging - If you see a dial and instantly think it's "brand new" or "new old stock" and it being sold anywhere but OF, pass. OF members know what they're looking at and will represent pieces honestly. Chrono24 is not the best place to be acquiring vintage Omega. I would suggest reading through the forums until you've seen the hundreds of examples/comparisons provided on refinished dials before diving into a purchase. Practice makes perfect, and it's definitely true with spotting a redial.

Here's a head start....

Re-dial Gallery (Scan through this every so often and see what an absolute, no questions asked, re-dial looks like)
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/worst-redials.2304/

Re-Dial Discussion (See what is being discussed about the dial mentioned, see what members are looking for in the details of the dial)
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/constellation-redial.49443/#post-592852

If you do a quick search for "Re-dial" you'll find many more helpful threads.

I am in the same boat as you my friend, re-dials have been a challenge and will continue to be a challenge until one day all of the scanning, reading, hands on exp, and purchases will give me that 15 second eye on any dial. It's a long road a head, but if you're serious about collection, you'll hang around!

Happy Hunting,

Thomas

Kathmandu! likes this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 3, 2016

Ok not to beat a dead horse here. The seller is not misrepresenting their watch. They state clearly that this is a restoration. This would appeal to a buyer looking for a cool old watch as a daily wearer and not as a collector piece. So @marsav ... please do your homework before posting. If you have researched and still need a second opinion that's when to post.

8. marsav Dec 3, 2016

Thank you for your posts and help. Being a newbie, I have just started my search and hunting in this new to me world. I apologise if I posted early at the beginning of my journey.

Maybe I should have posted my question better. I have read the description of the seller and although it clearly says that the watch has been restored and the dial has been refinished, I wasn't able to understand if it is crudely repainted or if the case is heavily polished in a way that this vintage watch is a no no.

Thank you mpwatch for the links! I now have a better understanding on re-dial and I will continue my reading.

Maybe I should have mentioned that as Larry said I am considering a vintage watch not primarily for starting a collection but as a daily wearer. I am looking for a piece that was treated with respect either from the previous owners or the professional watchmaker who restored.

Larry S likes this.