Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 7, 2017

So....

Railmaster if you are trying to start or add to a family, and Seamaster if that's the last thing one wants. Got it!

:D

That was a great post, by the way.

pcdubc likes this.
  2. Mach Apr 7, 2017

Seamaster - Initially, I was undecided between the Speedmaster and the Seamaster. I decided to go with the Speedmaster and put a deposit down with my local AD.

My thoughts (ok . . . hopes) are that Omega will eventually offer a permanent downsized Seamaster 300 MC in their future collection (say 38 - 39mm). Perhaps, they will offer it with a count-up bezel to distinguish it from the Trilogy Tribute. Maybe, the center link will be polished or perhaps it will be entirely brushed. In addition, I'm seriously considering adding the new Rolex Explorer to my collection, which is very similar to the Railmaster.

I went with the Speedmaster because I really liked that entire configuration (SS, dial color, bracelet, etc.), which I'm sure Omega will change if they decide to "re-release" it as a regular production model. Just my 2 cents . . .

HAGWE!

Mark

3. Meme-Dweller Apr 7, 2017

Nice try. It is already scientifically proven that there are no women on teh internetz.

The Railmaster is just a generic three-hander and is the most boring of the three. Unless it has a bezel or pushers to play with, it's not a sports watch in my book. It's like a sports body kit on a FWD family sedan.

Which makes me wonder why they call the Rolex Explorer I a sports watch. It's just a DateJust with way more brushed surfaces.

Cad290 likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 7, 2017

Seamaster. Same watch but with the pretty bezel
    I have seen plenty of pictures of ladies on the Interweb, isn't that what it is primarily used for?

Anyhoo, Isn't the Explorer the original sports watch in that its existence is allegedly owed to a sport, namely climbing big tall rocks (if you believe Rolex's marketing machine). Oh and the lack of date on said Explorer suggests if it is anything it is more a brushed Oyster Perp rather than Datejust but I do like your line of thinking.

Cad290 likes this.
  5. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 7, 2017

THIS!! +1

I've got an Explorer 1 ref 214270 and if I didn't, there's no question the LE RM would be on order now. Gotta say, the LE RM, at least in photos of seen, appears to have that lovely raised and rounded crystal, giving it such an awesome side profile. I so wish the Explorer 1 had a crystal like that...

Bugster987 and sensui like this.
  6. sensui Apr 7, 2017

Interesting enough, I was completely set in my order of preference being Speedmaster, Seamaster, then Railmaster....I had never cared for the Railmaster and don't own one through its iterations.....but in the trilogy.....something about the simplicity of the piece with the vintage feel is eclipsing the Seamaster for me. Might end up being the casual piece I wear most out of the three. Time will tell.

@ Marcnorth above...interesting enough I recently picked up a 1016 and am in the hunt for a 114270/14270 set......maybe my tastes lately could explain the Railmaster fancy.

Edited Apr 7, 2017
    Pun, Meme-Dweller and marcn like this.
  7. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 7, 2017

I can - and do - admire and appreciate a wide variety of watches, but in the end, give me a three- (or two-) hander over just about anything else, and if it happens to be hand-wound, well just take my money already! ;)

I own zero vintage watches, but if and/or when I come around, a 1016 is at the very top of my "I suppose I could be persuaded" list.

sensui likes this.
  8. Kazyole Apr 7, 2017

+1

The speedy is just too nice to pass up. I doubt they'll do another that's as close to the 2915, so I'm picking this one up now. Every time I see live photos of it, my decision is re-affirmed. Great looking watch. Love the size. Can't wait to wear it. Though if they did a non LE with an all brushed case, I would potentially be tempted to swap.

For me, the seamaster is almost as nice looking as the speedy, but also very visually similar to the current SM300 Coaxial that I can pick up for around half the price...so that makes it a bit difficult. I like the LE better for sure, but idk if I like it 3 grand better. Then on top of that, any diver I want to buy has to be one I'd take in the water with me, and I'd want a count-up bezel for that. I just don't like the idea of having a modern diver that costs +6k that I wouldn't choose over my SRP777.

Railmaster looks good as well, but If I want a simple 3 hander I'd probably buy a classic 1016, and the price differential between the new railmaster and a 1016 isn't that crazy high anyway. Plus with my eventual plan to maybe pick up a seamaster, they're just too close to justify all three.

speedolex likes this.
  9. pcdubc Apr 7, 2017

@Meme-Dweller It was indeed the first time that my wife felt compelled to express herself on these forums, given your previous sexist but more-or-less harmless metaphor.

But as a husband and a father of a beautiful girl, the above piece of alternative fact offended me. And for the first time in my short tenure here on watch forums, I feel compelled to call someone out, albeit against my wife's better judgement.

It's not so much the severity of the comment, but the ease in which you dish them out. We are about watches, not gender. Tone your male superiority down.

cc'ing mods

@STANDY @MSNWatch @gatorcpa @adam78

Bill Sohne likes this.
  10. TMas Apr 7, 2017

You guys all know this forum has a PM function, right?

drhex, BLAUGRANA, sensui and 4 others like this.
  11. munichblue Apr 7, 2017

Don't get me wrong but I think you're overreacting a bit.

drhex, padders and Meme-Dweller like this.
  12. ReturnOfUltraman Apr 7, 2017

He was being sarcastic about how you can't trust anyone on the internet. All in good fun, and nothing too harmful in my opinion. Tone is hard to tell through text sometimes.

Meme-Dweller and adi4 like this.
  13. jfmiii Apr 7, 2017

calm down dude.

Meme-Dweller likes this.
  14. Meme-Dweller Apr 7, 2017

No one gets memes anymore, even the non-spicy ones.

Sorry for triggering you but you took me seriously when I claimed there's scientific evidence that there are no women on the Internet? Why are people offended by everything and anything these days, even things that can't get past basic logic?

Edited Apr 7, 2017
    ReturnOfUltraman likes this.
  15. Meanjohnbrown Apr 7, 2017

16. Meanjohnbrown Apr 7, 2017

There is no logic in this world. We just voted for Brexit - or watches are now 15% more expensive......

Sorry no politics . But frustrating for a watch lover

17. speedolex Apr 7, 2017

[​IMG]

Feel free to create a thread called "Why I Hate speedolex" and I'll be happy to participate to discuss your petty issues in a place that doesn't disturb everyone else.

Until then, I'm focused on this ^

hansmaulwurf and gbh76 like this.
  18. Meanjohnbrown Apr 7, 2017

I am a newbie from a Heuer loving background (the cheaper 70s numbers - can't stretch to early days autavia....) but always loved Omega tool watches.

I am disappointed by the "ballooned" basel2017 autavia. I wanted a like for like recreation.

You guys got that true beautiful recreation with the trilogy (sans dial rubbish). Would any of u guys have preferred a "modern twist"with the trilogy? Mr Biver tried to sell that line to heuer lovers but I don't see it.

Omega lovers hit a home run this year - no?

Cad290 likes this.
  19. Kazyole Apr 7, 2017

I mean he has to try to sell that line, given what Heuer did with the Autavia. I don't buy his logic that direct re-issues destroys the vintage collectors market though, nor do I really buy the idea that a brand like Tag or Omega would really care about that anyway, since they never see any of that money.

1. The 60th speedy doesn't compete with a 2915. One is 7k. One is +150k. It's an entirely different scope of collecting. No one is out there trying to decide if they want to drop 150k on an original, or spend 7 to get the re-issue. They're probably just buying both if they're in that position anyway. With the other two the difference in price isn't quite as drastic, but I think the point stands. If anything, I'd say that these re-issues would get a new generation of enthusiasts excited about the 1957 models, and maybe push the prices for the original railmasters and sm300s up a bit.

2. When you spend 150k on a 2915, omega doesn't get any of that. Even if selling these dropped the values of originals (again, not convinced), why would omega care? Assuming this LE sells out, they're making ~23 million on each individual LE (3557 x 6.5k (ish)), and another ~11 million on the boxed sets (20k x 557). So that's around 80 million dollars for omega, vs your 2915 depreciating slightly. Easy decision to make from their perspective.

20. MCG555 Apr 7, 2017

I see it the same way!
    Of course, JCB has to sell the new Autavia with the constraints of having a new movement that needs to go into a case - and it should look pretty. Probably they couldn't do it closer to the original in respect to proportions. Its a pity - I would have bought the Autavia, but its a bit to bulky for me...
    Now I ordered the ST and the 60. LE... ;)