Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. janw23 Apr 16, 2019

I received a 60th Speedmaster recently. Although I'm sure it is nothing that has not been said before, I wanted to describe why I think this is probably the coolest Speedmaster for me and comment re. some issues that people have described.

- Traditional sizing (finally!) at around 38 mm is great. Sits on 6.6" wrist perfectly while the normal Speedmaster looks more jumbo sized and less elegant. Also unique in being the smallest manual-wind Speedmaster available in modern times if I am not mistaken.

- No crown guards, large pump pushers, brushed steel tachy and sides combined with polished straight lugs really exude that raw motorsport-inspired sporty and yet simultaneously industrial look - even if one is unaware of the historical pedigree of the watch. I love this look and there is no other Speedmaster that comes close to it.

- I've always found crown guards to be an annoyance when winding a manual watch. It kills the joy in it. A lack of crown guards makes winding a far more pleasant experience. It's great to have this back on a Speedmaster!

- The Hesalite crystal combined with the all steel design makes the watch wear like a much thinner watch than it really is. It's a sort of optical illusion when looking directly down on the dial the watch looks like it's 10-11mm, and as one turns the watch to the side the thickness becomes more apparent, but because of the Hesalite crystal being thick relative to the overall watch thickness the watch still appears and feels much thinner than the 14 mm it actually is on the wrist.

- The bracelet was actually designed together with the watch, rather than as an afterthought or a rushjob, as is the case for Omega in most of their lineup sadly. Nowadays they can't even be bothered to throw in bracelets for most of their LEs (Apollo, ST1, ST2 etc.). I am in the camp that feels a luxury sports watch that is sold without a bracelet is the company shortchanging the customer, as high-quality leather straps can be easily found for little money. For the Trilogy Speedy, the bracelet completes the look - again, this feels apparent even if one is unaware that the watch is an homage.

- I read some comments re. the clasp being oversized and unwieldy, but I do not feel this way. It's solid, has just the right amount on tension on the push buttons and is no bigger (or thicker, relative to the links on the bracelet) than a Glidelock system on a Rolex. The micro-adjustment span and increments are fine for me, but then I wear my watch further up on the wrist and do not switch from above/below the wristbone as some people do; I do not require large "micro" adjustments.

- The faux patina is done right on the Speedy. Personally, it matches my skin tone so I like it for that reason alone and not just because of its resemblance to a tritium dial that has aged gracefully. IMO together with the Hesalite and the thin hour markers, it gives off a far more convincing look than it does on the colder Sapphire crystal and more lume-heavy dials of the SM300 and RM. One thing I would suggest to people who think the faux patina is too brown or too dark is to see the watch in person if they can. I've found that most photographs on the web don't do it justice (probably due to camera focus or color adjustment settings), it's a very light shade of khaki more than brown.

- The luminosity of the lume isn't overdone, probably due to the effect of the patina colour. I've worn a Reduced since 2012 and the lume on that thing outshines this by a country mile, it is certainly more legible. However I can read the 60th just fine in the early morning after a night's sleep in pitch black - the broad arrow design on the lume helps with this. I think the use of a neon-bright lume, as with the Reduced, with this vintage inspired design would make it feel less authentic.

- This is an odd one, but I like that the chronograph seconds register is steel and not white like the other subdial hands. Yes, it is less legible but it blends in with the hands and thee overall look. It's also more subtle, especially if you are the kind of guy who keeps the chronograph running all the time.

- One annoyance is that the watch does not come with the engraved logo on the Hesalite lined up with the dial. For the RM and SM300 it is lined up, but for some reason Omega do not bother with the more expensive Speedmaster. However, boutiques will reset the crystal free of charge on request.

So all in all, I think this is a great watch, a rare gem from Omega's modern lineup and a keeper.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the broad arrow hands are not as legible in all lighting conditions and angles as a moon watch, though they are fine 90% of the time. Then again there is no other luxury watch with the legibility of the moon watch. Besides, if I prioritised that, I wouldn't be spending this amount of money on a watch :).

Now also seems to be a good time to pick one up, I see that the prices on the second hand market have dropped far enough to make this a (relative) steal. Cheapest I've seen in the UK is around £4400-4600 - and one of these was brand new from 2018 with the 5 year warranty. If one isn't interested in the accessories, they can probably be dumped on the market bringing the cost to well under £4000.

There seem to have been a lot of flippers who purchased this watch after the bubble craze of the cartoon dog Speedy and the Speedy Tuesdays, and their patience finally seems to be wearing thin. I do not see this depreciating much further, and if it does it's just a bigger bargain. I personally doubt that Omega will choose to reintroduce this exact design as part of their main / non-limited lineup in the foreseeable future.

Edited Apr 16, 2019
    Evitzee, frazierspa, Longbow and 6 others like this.
  2. pongster Apr 17, 2019

You only live once. Go get one.

It really is a beauty.

3. JerryB Apr 19, 2019

I tried on all three of the master trilogy , and went for the ralimaster , as this was simplest and available at good discount when I was looking . Strap too shiny though and spoils the simple look , so that has been swapped for a lizard one ..

4. clemenscito Apr 21, 2019

Great Summary, as I am reading through all kinds of articles and opinions I am more and more inclined in purchasing this wonderful Speedmaster. The offers are rich which is the only thing that worries me a bit. Not that I would by this watch as an investment opportunity but if I have the choice I'd definitely rather take a watch that rather increases in value than decreases.
    While I couldn't find offers for less than 5,000 GBP it is still much lower than original retail. With this watch I am surprised how many are available on the market. Any idea why? So much speculation?

5. Stevedssd Apr 22, 2019

I agree that is a great summary. With 3557 pieces plus the 557 Trilogy sets, the 60th is less limited than many Omega LE's, hence there isn't much of a supply issue. That said prices have remained fairly stable around or a little below MRSP, which is perhaps an indicator that they won't be subject to significant further depreciation. I think the 60th is overshadowed by the Speedy Tuesdays and the CK2998's to some extent and of course with the bracelet included it cost quite a bit more at MRSP. The 60th is a lovely Speedmaster, with so much attention to detail and is one of my favourites. I prefer mine on a cordovan vintage strap rather than the bracelet but it is a really versatile watch on straps, Nato or the OEM bracelet

frazierspa, T3F, Pun and 4 others like this.
  6. FlyingSnoopy Apr 22, 2019

Enjoy it!

clemenscito likes this.
  7. clemenscito Apr 27, 2019

How does the quality of the Omega watches in general appear to Omega lovers? I've recently heard from a very large jewelry store that they stopped selling Omega due to their poor quality? This is hard to believe for me but as I am about to sign the contract for the wonderful Speedmaster Trilogy I want to remove any doubt.

Any thoughts?

8. AntonisCy Apr 27, 2019

Bought a Seamaster a couple months ago and although its a nice watch with a very accurate movement, Omega's quality control must be very bad because the lume color on some components is wrong and not as advertised!

clemenscito likes this.
  9. Mach Apr 27, 2019

I haven’t had any issues with my Trilogy Speedy or SMP 300. Like anything, I’m sure there may be a few pieces that may get past their quality control. I would say go for it if it sings to you!
    E5C66B27-B4BC-448E-80A0-D472D9D30694.jpeg

10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 27, 2019

No issues whatsoever with my trilogy set. Nor with any of the other Omegas I have bought new the past few years.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2019

This sort of statement from a "former" AD always get some skepticism from me. To me a more likely scenario is that the store was dropped by Omega for some reason. It could be the space wasn't up to par and they didn't want to invest in any store upgrades, or that they were caught dealing watches out the back door to the grey market, or maybe they didn't pay their bills on time.

Despite issues with bezel pips, generally speaking Omegas are good. The fact is all brands make mistakes...

12. stevec14 Apr 27, 2019

Never had an issue. In fact my CK2998 is on a par with the Rolexes I have owned and in many ways better. But it’s like anything, there will always be the odd issue for some.

A jewellery store would not stop selling omega - likely omega stopped them selling their products.

frazierspa likes this.
  13. FlyingSnoopy Apr 27, 2019

I consider omega quality greater than the price asked for
    Cheers

savio.79 likes this.
  14. FlyingSnoopy Apr 28, 2019

Well said!

15. orlis Apr 29, 2019

Reporting in: If someone is looking for a brand new 1957 speedy, there is one sitting in OB in Prague, Czech Republic.

frazierspa and jankymutt like this.
  16. clemenscito May 4, 2019

Hi there, texting again in my inability to make a final decision. If you guys can choose between a speedy '57 Trilogy with a few small fine scratches on the back but with warranty card filled out AND original receipt from the AD vs. one with no scratches at all, filled out warranty card but no receipt which one would you go for?

Both watches are with legit resellers original box, full set, .....

I wonder if the receipt is a major argument even if the warranty card is properly filled out?
    Not buying this watch for speculation but still want to preserve the value as well as possible.

Thanks for your help!

17. drhex May 4, 2019

@clemenscito I don’t mind the receipt if the warranty card is there and legibly filled.

18. orlis May 4, 2019

Buy the one in better condition. International warranty is honoured without a receipt.

Pun likes this.
  19. clemenscito May 7, 2019

Right on time for Tuesday. I received my new beauty! Thank you all for your advice and helping me spend a big chunk of money.

Since this is my first Speedmaster and certainly one I don't want to unnecessarily scratch I need your help on how I adjust the bracelet? Do I use the pin tool that came with it like a screw driver? Seems odd since the pin tool has not the greatest shape to put torque on the screw I would think.

Would love your advice! :)

Thanks again!

Speedy.jpg
    Seaborg, frazierspa, Om3ga321 and 5 others like this.
  20. Jantar May 7, 2019

Take it to an AD for adjustment. The bracelet screws are pretty tight and you are liable to mess up the head of a screw trying to get them loose if you've not done this before. I ask me how I know...

Pun and Longbow like this.