Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. Longbow Nov 19, 2017

You might be right but the execution is rather odd. The text orientation on the spine is typically German (both versions) but is in English. Mine is not marked with any regional indications and although I picked it up in Hamburg it’s all in English rather than German.

If they are intended to be regional specific I wonder why they didn’t have local languages rather than just English, after all, the content is different inside.

I rather like @DIV version as that shows all three Trilogy pieces, whereas mine just shows the Speedmaster.

Would be interest to know if there any other versions of this book.

2. Speedy 60th Nov 19, 2017

Hmm . . . that is an interesting observation. I have not ever thought about the orientation of the spine text on different books. Are you certain that that is the 'English' way? It is just that several books in front of me at the moment, Ian Rankin's Rebus novels and the British Museum publication of the Sycthian exhibition are all in fact the other way round to these Omega books, which matches the way the UK Omega catalogue I have, also marked with the UK designation.

As it is printed in Switzerland, I wonder if it is more likely to be the 'German' or 'Continental' way?

So it looks like all Omega publications have the same spine text orientation regardless of where they are destined for.

2017-11-19 11.02.20.jpg
    Longbow likes this.
  3. Speedy 60th Nov 19, 2017

Apologies Longbow, I misread your declaration that the orientation is the German way already! That's the problem of replying after just a quick, incorrect read!

Longbow likes this.
  4. Longbow Nov 19, 2017

I’m not so sure about that. Omega seem to be all over the place, sometimes the English way sometimes European.
    Most (all?) catalogues from the other Swiss and German manufacturers that I have use the European system.

I prefer the English way as the spine text is still easily readable for books stacked cover up on a table, not so easy with the continental approach. I suppose there must be a good explanation somewhere for the logic behind the reversed spine text.
    Interestingly, the International Wristwatch magazine started with the European way and the switched to English for the second edition and all subsequent ones.

Here’s a nice photo comparing & contrasting the spine text.
    8B7742E7-4E45-415C-B371-70F72B6B5ED5.jpeg

munichblue and Theognosis like this.
  5. Speedy 60th Nov 19, 2017

I too prefer 'our' way, but then it is because I am rather biased :)

As you mentioned, it is easier to read when the books are laid flat on the table. However the 'continental' way actually makes sense when the books are placed vertically on the shelf.

So there is no real 'right' way, just like lots of things in life! I am happy that Omega has produced an interesting looking book. What are your thoughts about the contents of your copy?

6. Theognosis Nov 19, 2017

Congratulations on that SM300LE! You can't get any better than that for your first mechanical piece. I predict that it's going to take a very long time before you purchase your next one as you will find it difficult to find a sexier diver or watch in general.

Pun, Longbow and munichblue like this.
  7. frazierspa Nov 19, 2017

Congratulations, Rob! Love it! Welcome!

8. RobEBobbie Nov 19, 2017

Thanks ! I'm loving the watch and yes, this will keep me satisfied for a long time, and hopefully for the sake of my wallet I will be a one watch guy (though I couldn't stop eyeing the Speedmaster Pro as I was buying this one).

Pun, solesman and Theognosis like this.
  9. RobEBobbie Nov 19, 2017

Thank you !

10. bazderome Nov 19, 2017

Bought this stunner not knowing the watch number... I noticed after the purchase ::love::
    IMG_2824 2.JPG

IMG_6952.JPG

IMG_4823.JPG

11. Ott69 Nov 19, 2017

thogi likes this.
  12. bazderome Nov 19, 2017

Thanks mate :D got super lucky on this one !

thogi likes this.
  13. rohnin Nov 19, 2017

14. bazderome Nov 19, 2017

United Arab Emirates :) and it's the only one that will be sold here !

thogi, frazierspa and rohnin like this.
  15. Speedy 60th Nov 19, 2017

Congratulations on getting the very best edition number for these 60th Anniversary watches! And it being the Speedmaster makes it the cherry on the cake.

When I got my watch, I was very nicely surprised with the edition number I got - but mine is very minor to yours. Here's to huge enjoyment with your extra special watch :)

Mine says Hi!

L1190649_1 cr.jpg
    Saysay, lustrousaurus, thogi and 6 others like this.
  16. rohnin Nov 19, 2017

Well I posted this when United flew its last 747 to Hawaii earlier this month

A325FA27-BA72-41F2-A261-96D0C83E22A4.jpeg
    thogi, Pun, Toishome and 7 others like this.
  17. frazierspa Nov 19, 2017

No way! You were the one who got it! How cool is that?! I reserved this number but another number came up months ago so I jumped on it. Congratulations!

18. bazderome Nov 20, 2017

Thanks Speedy 60th ! Nice strap btw ;)

19. bazderome Nov 20, 2017

As an airline pilot myself this is a very cool number too !! I nearly bought a 145.0022 Apollo XI with the same number not long ago!

rohnin likes this.
  20. bazderome Nov 20, 2017

Well I'm glad you picked up the other one instead :whistling: