Forums Latest Members
  1. LAdyver Nov 14, 2014

I originally wanted to post in the "wanted to buy" section, but as a new member I have insufficient posting privileges, so I hope it's ok if I post my questions here!

My dad bought a 1955 stainless Seamaster when he was in Europe back then. It was stolen a few years ago and he has been wanting the same year and style ever since. I don't want to get scammed, and am not sure who is or isn't a reputable dealer, or even what to look for or what to ask when I do find one. Any pointers or leads would be very much appreciated. It was a simple watch, all stainless, numbers at 12, 3, 6, and 9, no date, no crosshairs. It looked like the one in the attached picture, and according to my dad it's the same one.

image.jpg
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 14, 2014

Could be something like a Seamaster 2846. These came in many different dials and in stainless, gold and gold cap. There are some similar earlier models as well.
    You could check the sale ads here and eBay is one place to look . If you find any on eBay you can bring it back here for vetting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Buck2466 Nov 14, 2014

It looks like a 2846 case and shouldn't be too hard to find one especially in stainless. Your best bet is to look in the sales forum here, which is your best bet for reputable sellers, or search for them on ebay and let us critique them on their originality for you BEFORE you purchase! Good luck in your search and hope your Dad finds a great watch replacement!

4. LAdyver Nov 14, 2014

I'm sure it's the one in the top picture, thank you so much for taking the time to do that! My dad was 17 when he bought the watch, and doesn't know where to start looking for another one like it. I'm hoping to surprise him with one for Christmas, but if I don't find the right one by then, I'll just give it to him when I do find it. Thank you for the info and for offering to critique a watch before I buy! I have expertise in many different areas, this certainly isn't one of them, so I appreciate having your knowledge available here! The watch doesn't have to be mint condition since his has 60+ years of wear and was reconditioned once, but it should be wearable and in no need of repair.

5. Buck2466 Nov 14, 2014

With any watch from that era, expect to at least have it serviced before giving it to your dad. Most will not know the service history of the watch they are selling, so it is a good idea to have this figured into your budget. Good thing is these are easily serviceable by a competent watchmaker.

6. bh151182 Nov 14, 2014

7. bh151182 Nov 14, 2014

But is the one you're looking for I think.

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 14, 2014

Refinished dial, ridiculous price, more like a $400 US watch, IF you can deal with a refinished dial.

9. TNTwatch Nov 14, 2014

More likely a 2577 as the 2846 was introduced in 1956. The lugs of the 2846 have a notch near the bezel and look different from the one the the Omega ad. The 2577 has a bumper movement so it would have a distinctive bumping feel on the wrist or in the hand, whereas the 2846's movement has a full and smooth feeling rotor. Maybe your dad still remembers this feeling?

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 14, 2014

Or a 2767?

[​IMG]

11. LAdyver Nov 14, 2014

No problem with it being refinished, I think my dad had his refinished at one point because he wore it practically every day since 1955 and it probably needed it. The one on ebay is nice, but the numbers are gold and in a different font than what he had (thanks for the link)! His was stainless, no gold accents. I don't want to stray away from what he had....he still has the original bill of sale, which unfortunately isn't very descriptive. He was VERY attached to that watch...and he's not materialistic at all! I'll ask him about the bumper movement.....I'm trying to remember what it felt like, I spent lots of time playing with it as a toddler...lol.

12. LAdyver Nov 14, 2014

OK.....just talked to dad....the purchase date was July 15, 1955 from a watch dealer (Ahrens, out of business, I'm sure) in Lucerne, Switzerland.

This part will hopefully make sense to you, but it's Greek to me and hopefully I wrote it down right: It had 180 degree wind, the channel for the winder was on the outer edge. It was NOT a 360 degree wind, you could feel it "flopping" from side to side.

13. LAdyver Nov 14, 2014

Just for kicks, here's another watch that was purchased at the same time my dad bought his in 1955. This one has never been worked on or serviced (to my knowledge....Grandma kept it boxed), and it keeps time like a champ.

IMG_7151.JPG
  14. Sherbie Nov 14, 2014

the 180 degree wind means it was a bumper watch - ie the (automatic winding mechanism )rotor only turns 180 degrees and then bumps onto springs which send it back in the opposite direction

15. TNTwatch Nov 14, 2014

Your dad knows his watch! Definitely not the 2846 then. The 2767 also has the notch on the lugs like the 2846 and different from the ad. The 2767 has snap on back, the 2577 has screw on back, they look similar and about the same in size. Either of them is appropriate. Both are very nice. Look for one in good condition with the correct 351 or 354 movement, get it serviced and it will last a long time.