Forums Latest Members
  1. swanksteak Jul 1, 2018

Hi there!

I was fascinated with watches when I was younger but never had the money to finance the hobby. As a result, I drifted away and am only now coming back after 20 years. I can finally afford to start building a collection and plan to start with a new Omega for my wife and myself (Railmaster for me and Aqua Terra Ladies for her).

At the same time, we'd like to start slowly collecting some vintage Omegas. We found a listing locally for a ~1954 model. There are some good photos with the listing, some of the movement as well. It is offered at $500. Since this is our first toe dip into the pond, I was hoping the folks here that have been through this many time before take a look at what we've found and see if there are any obvious signs of a forgery or anything out of whack.

I would love to accumulate some knowledge and hopefully be able to contribute back someday

The seller says the watch was acquired secondhand and service was performed 3 months ago. The serial number (which I think is 14232281 from the photo of the movement tracks to 1954 according to this site: https://est1897.co.uk/omega-serial-numbers-how-old-is-your-omega-watch. The caliber on the movement is identified as a 420.

The logo on the dial seems a bit strange, though. The "OMEGA" text isn't quite centered under the logo. I looked at a few other "1954" Omegas online and the text is perfectly straight. The hour markers also appear extremely "new" but, then again, this is my first foray into the hobby, so…

What do you guys think? I certainly do not need to purchase this particular watch but it is local so I wanted to check it out. There is another listing that is more expensive and, thus, more likely to be legitimate that I would go with if this one is a dud.

Thanks for whatever input you have. This forum is a great resource!

$_86-1.JPG $_86-2.JPG $_86-3.JPG $_86-4.JPG $_86-5.JPG $_86-6.JPG $_86-7.JPG $_86-8.JPG $_86-9.JPG $_86.JPG
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 1, 2018

I suspect it is redialed. Like you I think there is something not quite right about the logo. I would like to see a better close up of the dial.

The examples I have been able to find show a flat top "A" in Omega. That one looks pointed.

From the Omega Museum archives:

[​IMG]

A dial variant from the salesforum (a good place to find vintage, btw) https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-2691-cal-410-creamy-patina-620.64308/

[​IMG]

3. swanksteak Jul 1, 2018

Thanks very much for the reply! After viewing your pictures, redialing is definitely a possibility. I will ask for a close up but may also just look elsewhere. Thanks for the tip on the sales forum. I'll definitely check there. Probably best to leave this one alone

Thanks!

pmontoyap likes this.