Forums Latest Members
  1. cjfouche Jul 12, 2018

Hi guys

I am brand new to these forums and also new to the vintage watch scene.
    Attached is some pictures of a watch that my wife and I got given, it was her great-grandfathers' and we would like to find out all we can about it but we have no idea where to start looking!

Inside the casing we can see the following info:
    Omega Swiss 15 Jewels
    And assuming the serial number which is 10715103.

Any help/ comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards from South Africa!

54BA7BA8-29C4-4A2C-80D8-234B11616425.JPG E4B79E8E-3469-4F7B-BC0F-5139A3F59306.JPG IMG_9438.jpg IMG_9439.jpg

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  2. tikkathree Jul 12, 2018

What a pretty thing! Someone who knows will be along shortly.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  3. Canuck Jul 12, 2018

Looks like Omega 38.5 LT1. Case looks like nickel silver (no silver content). Vitreous enamel dial. Glass crystal broken. Unable to read imprints on the cuvette (inner case back), but such markings rarely describe the particular watch. These markings often tout awards the maker has won at competitions. Great grandfather’s watch? My guess is somewhere in the mid 1940s. Depending on the era in which your wife, your wife’s parents, and your wife’s great grandfather were born, you’d need to decide if it could have been his watch.

4. cjfouche Jul 12, 2018

The imprints on the back is the name of her great grandfather, the date 1/10/1948 and at the bottom it says from Nauwpoort Staff, he was a loading master on the railway station and this watch was given to him as a gift by the staff there.

Is there any way we can use the code on the inside of the watch (10715103) to find more info in some sort of database or something or are we too hopeful?

5. Canuck Jul 12, 2018

I wonder if Omega would be able to provide an extract for that. And I wonder just how much information would be on an extract that would add anything useful.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 12, 2018

That is the serial number. You can call the nearest omega boutique and order an extract of the archives. You can find the location of them on the Omega website. An authorized dealer cannot assist you. Do not have omega service the watch. What other info are you looking for?

That being said little point in this case to get an extract. You know it’s real and it’s been family owned with inscription from day one. If you give us your location I’m sure someone here can recommend a good watch maker to service it and replace the crystal.

It’s a beautiful piece that is most likely worth more as a family heirloom then being resold.