Forums Latest Members
  1. Samnidhi Jun 25, 2019

This is the description:
    Circa early 1940's. Gold metal case, stamped 14k. Numbered 10100019. Signed manual wind movement,
    numbered 9133813. Copper dial with alternating Roman numeral and square hour markers, subsidiary seconds dial to six. Fitted to Gay Frères gold metal expandable bracelet with folding clasp. 23mm. 58gms.
    It was my mother's and I inherited it. She got it from my father who died in 1957.
    I want to sell this - should I go to auction or sell it privately? I had it assessed recently and this is what I was told.
    Movement is currently functioning.
    Movement has scratches, marks and tarnishing commensurate with general wear visible to the naked eye.
    Dial appears to be in a generally good condition with no marks visible when viewed under a 4x loupe.
    Hands appear to be in a generally good condition.
    Glass has some scratches and marks when viewed under a 4x loupe.
    Case shows some scratches, marks and dints. Visible dints to case back and side.
    Crown has light scratches when viewed under a 4x loupe.
    Bracelet has light scratches and some signs of light stretching to links.
    Expandable riveted bracelet is made by Gay Frères.
    Clasp is currently functioning and shows light scratches and marks.
    Bracelet measures approximately 18.5cm including case.
    This watch does not come with box or papers.

omega.jpg omega 2.jpg
  2. cristos71 Jun 25, 2019

This is now the third time you are here asking the same questions about value and selling avenues......starts to look a little like you are maybe trying to sell it here?

AveConscientia likes this.
  3. Samnidhi Jun 25, 2019

No. I would like to have feedback as to whether to sell it by auction or privately and, if anyone is knowledgeable enough, to give me a steer on sales value.
    Last time I was criticised for not having enough information. So I went and paid for an assessment.
    If this is a problem for you, let me know

4. cristos71 Jun 25, 2019

Well I estimate the watch to have not much collector value as it is small, oblong, looks like it has the wrong hands and crown, so overall not in great shape, I'd say maybe €250-€400 max.

The bracelet is more interesting, is it an 18mm or 16mm lug fitting? That will make a difference in value. Also the size of wrist it will fit will also have a significant effect on value. Is the bracelet alone 58gr? If so the 18kt scrap value is your starting point, and you can add some € for 18mm lug fitting, total length, GF, etc

Samnidhi and Vitezi like this.
  5. Vitezi Jun 25, 2019

To obtain the maximum market value in the shortest amount of time, consider using an auction format with the largest possible audience. Most folks use eBay for this but there are many other options, some of which may be more local to you. Since value is determined by the buyer, use a no reserve auction to encourage bidding and provide a long viewing time for your audience, such as a 10-day listing.

Most importantly, provide plenty of well-lit, close-up, in-focus pictures of the watch and bracelet from all angles, including the watch movement and inside caseback. As mentioned above, the GF bracelet is probably the highlight so be sure to describe it well, especially all of the dimensions. Best of luck with your sale!

Samnidhi likes this.