Forums Latest Members
  1. panopticonison Apr 4, 2016

Hello new friends! I've recently developed in interest in Horology and vintage watches specifically. I found this posting on Chrono24.com. The seller is a Chrono24 trusted seller out of Germany. Currently asking around $700 for this watch ....

Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What I Know:

From the Seller:
    "Produced between 1916 and 1923.
    Chrome plated brass case.
    White dial with black enamel and indexes.
    blued hand.
    Small seconds at 6 o'clock.
    mineral crystal.
    Case diameter: 34 mm (without crown).
    New neutral brown leather strap.
    Neutral pin buckle in steel.

Good clean condition.
    All functions properly. "

That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

What I Need Help With:
    I don't know enough to understand if this is a good price, too good a price, etc. I don't know how to accurately judge if this is a wise purchase. Aesthetically I like the watch a lot. Though I know it's quite inexpensive by quality watch standards, $700 is unfortunately not a small outlay for me.

Owned or Being Considered:
    Being considered. I have made an offer, which was accepted, but have not purchased.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 4, 2016

Run away.

Non-Omega case for sure. This may have been a small pocketwatch in another lifetime.

Dial has some value to the right person, as does the movement.

So the point is that any value this watch has is as a parts donor, nothing more.

Not worth anywhere close to $700, IMO.
    gatorcpa

panopticonison likes this.
  3. Odyssey Apr 5, 2016

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2016

All functions do not work properly if the regulator is jammed over to slow instead of somewhere in the centre, this indicates a movement in need of service and possible replacement of mainspring etc.

In addition, it has been pointed out that this may be a "marriage" watch. These are barely acceptable even when disclosed and have no value to a collector. In this case disclosure is missing.

There will be other watches.

5. Kwijibo Apr 5, 2016

The dial and hands are nice but it's definitly not an original omega case. Agree with JiminOz, the position of the regulator is bad. I wouls skip. For 700 euros you can have a much better watch.

6. panopticonison Apr 5, 2016

Thank you everyone for your advice! Really appreciate you all saving me from a regrettable first foray into vintage horology :)