Forums Latest Members
  1. Searching Dec 29, 2016

Hello

Today i m wana show you my Seamaster wich i got from my Dad before he passed away in 2008.

He worn the watch about 30 years every time. So it looks a bit used. Also one time came water in it and the dial changed color.

In 2016 my own son was born and so i thaught i repair the watch and give it to him when he is grown up. So 3 weeks ago i send the watch to watchguy uk for service and for restoration and they are still working on and it looks really good.

I m missing and searching one endlink 653 and a blue dial. So if someone could help please let me know.

I m from Austria so please excuse my english.

IMG-20161128-WA0003.jpg
    media.jpg

media.jpg media (5).jpg media (6).jpg media (7).jpg

2. Maganator Dec 29, 2016

I would leave the dial as it is. It looks great to me.

However, if you are changing it and want rid of the dial in your photos I would be happy to buy it from you.

3. Vicke Dec 29, 2016

I have to agree, your dial is really cool. Keep it!

ahsposo and Searching like this.
  4. Edward53 Dec 29, 2016

There was a NOS blue dial on ebay a few weeks ago, so it's not impossible. If it were mine I would change the dial and I doubt his son will appreciate the original one, but it's all down to personal taste.

Searching likes this.
  5. Searching Dec 29, 2016

Hey... thank's for your coments. I like the deal too because it make's the watch unique. And watchguy restorated it with new lighting dots. I wana get the original dial and lay it by side for my son. So he can make all original if he wants sometime.

chronos and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  6. Maganator Dec 29, 2016

Good choice! But if you change your mind...:whistling:

Keep an eye on eBay - a NOS dial will turn up eventually.

7. Searching Dec 29, 2016

Hey Maganator, thanks. I will keep my eyes open about the dial and have a look once a day because i m also searching for one endlink 653. I m still hoping to find one sometimes :)

8. Maganator Dec 29, 2016

9. Searching Dec 29, 2016

Thank you Maganator, I know the page of ofrei.com. I like the silver dial and its on my wish list :)

10. Longbow Dec 29, 2016

Erstaunlich schönes Zifferblatt - don't swap it for a blue dial, it is really very pretty and utterly unique.

11. Searching Dec 29, 2016

Hey Longbow, schön dass es dir gefällt :) i will keep the dial like it is.

Longbow likes this.
  12. ConElPueblo Dec 29, 2016

That dial looks great! Completely knackered, but in a good way :)
    Certainly won't see one like it anytime soon...

Searching and Longbow like this.
  13. Longbow Dec 29, 2016

And if your son decides that he doesn't like that "old" thing, I'm sure you will find plenty of interest for it here at OF....especially from me ;).

Searching likes this.
  14. Searching Dec 29, 2016

I will see what my son is thinking in about 20 Years :) now he is ten months old ;)

Longbow likes this.
  15. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Dec 29, 2016

Welcome, great watch and story, thank for sharing.

Thank you for saying this. Next time I see a dealer asking $1,000 more than they should for a 176.007 or Mark III for a dial like that because it has gone "tropical" I'm going to point to this thread. Water damage does not = tropical!

That said, I'm glad you plan on keeping the original dial. Usually when they have that type of aging the black enamel comes off the hour markers and looks awful. Yours however looks very good. :)

Lou P, dialstatic and Searching like this.
  16. jimmyd13 Dec 29, 2016

Adding another voice to the ones saying keep the dial - if it's stable, don't touch it. If not, then stabilise it and keep it - this is what makes it your watch; your father's watch and your son's. Can't help with the parts, I'm afraid.

Ken G and Searching like this.
  17. Searching Dec 29, 2016

Thanks for you description. I always thought that water was the reason for changing the color. I never heard about that a dial can tropical also not of the omega dealers i visited for parts.

18. Searching Dec 29, 2016

Thank you jimmyd13. The watch is really something special for me and i hope also for my son onetime. I would never touch the dial or open the watch by my self. Mitka of Watchguy uk dit it and stabilised it for me And she made new lighting dots on. You can see in the last picture.

Dont worry about the parts. I still believe that one time i will find the missing endlink ;)

19. GuiltyBoomerang Dec 29, 2016

@Searching - very nice watch you have there! Yes to keeping the dial and getting a conservationist to preserve the condition of it.

WatchGuy do excellent services/repairs, glad you went to them for your watch!

If you are able to get in contact with the admins, you may be able to place a 'Want To Buy' thread in the sub-forums for your parts and endlinks :)

Searching likes this.
  20. Longbow Dec 29, 2016

Does anyone know what base metal was used for the dial? Brass, or gold (can't really imagine that)? I would expect brass to oxidise and turn dark, maybe even black with time, so I wonder why the dial is covered in these "golden" dots?

What does the "stabilising" process involve?

I hope we get to see a LOT more photos of this watch (before and after). I think it has patina to die for.