Forums Latest Members

Omega 168.029 - C-Case - Is there a White Linen and Silver Linen?

1. kaplan Aug 1, 2020

Hi everyone,

I've been hunting for a worn down 168.029 watch to buy and enjoy, I want the white linen dial - I've never seen one of these in person

Recently I started wondering whether the White Linen I want, is actually the same with the Silver/Grey Linen's out there

I wonder if expert photography makes the Silver Linen dial look white, or whether there's actually 2 colors for the Linen dial, Silver and White

Silver example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexcha...1969_omega_constellation_c_linen_dial_168019/
    White example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/biy8m7/omega_constellation_168029/
    Even whiter example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexcha..._omega_constellation_day_date_ref_168029_cal/

Krohmie likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 1, 2020

Please post photos, not links.

3. janice&fred Aug 1, 2020

Oh I'm sure they made some Constellation linen dials white. I've got a '63 seamaster with a white linen dial similar in texture and hue to your 3rd example. Excuse my lousy photo skills as it's the only pic I have of it on my phone.

IMG_2222.jpg

Syrte and kaplan like this.
  4. Dedalus05 Aug 2, 2020

Good question. I have one of these. My first Omega that I almost never wear anymore. It has a white/off-white dial in some lights:

Connie1.jpg

Decidedly silver in others:

Connie2.jpg

I am looking at it now beside me, and I don't think I would ever have described the dial as white personally. There is a OF poster called Desmond who is the resident expert on these watches - with luck he'll see this thread and chime in. He has a blog here which is an absoute must read if you are on the hunt for one of these watches:

http://omega-constellation-collecto...12/constellation-c-shape-omegas-child-of.html

EDIT - Reading his blog again I am going to say there was no "white linen" dial, but rather what Omega calls "silky guilloche" and "sparkle dials". But to be honest I am not sure what the difference is between those two. Or which one I have for that matter :)

Edited Aug 2, 2020
    Zdzislaw, kaplan and Zapatta like this.
  5. wilderbeast Aug 2, 2020

I think it’s a silver dial that just catches the light differently. That makes the dial very attractive to me. Here are some snaps of my silky guilloche C-case, some of which make it look more white, some more silver:

FCEA2429-45CF-471D-A6DB-CEA52BEF0A1A.png 547BA56A-0EFC-4439-977F-C9B3ED4534F9.jpeg 21B3F676-EFA3-4040-90FA-C23B1B11047A.jpeg B092D51D-EFE4-470A-8D5A-2B62CE92EEA5.jpeg CD4380FA-AEEB-49F2-B3CD-AA54FA01FA38.jpeg

Zdzislaw, Alpha, Longbow and 5 others like this.
  6. kaplan Aug 2, 2020

Thank you so much for the replies, I stumbled onto a random auction yesterday and made the winning big today :)

I honestly wanted the cleaner hands/dial like winderbeasts's, but almost all the ones that come up on auctions had the hands like Dedalus05's - I personally need the lume, thinking of re-luming the hands (if I can justify desecrating the originality of the watch) - and the black hands can be purchased right from Ofrei for ~40 euros

Now I didn't notice this initially, I was too distracted with dial coloring, but now I wonder whether the shady lighting is to mask a potentially corroded omega logo :/

ogatomo2003-img898x1198-1596008869gtm89l14072.jpg

It's either that, or it's a reflection

I got it from a Japan auction, the seller has 100% positive feedback, and I think very highly of Japanese, he disclosed the last OH, didn't indicate any cosmetic issues rather than that one scratch on the case - so I didn't notice it initially

As far as I suspect, you can't just polish or sand these either, as the indices are bronze? Anyway, this might be a discussion for another topic - there was another auction for a perfect one with the "MEISTER" written on top of Constellation - concluded at the same price, visually flawless, so after the realisation, I'm afraid :)

Edited Aug 8, 2020
    Zdzislaw likes this.
  7. janice&fred Aug 2, 2020

I think your Omega logo is just fine and that watch looks like a great well kept example of a C case. For me I wouldn't mess with the hands and just enjoy the watch. You can pick up a cheaper modern wearer with bright lume for those times when you need it.

Dedalus05 likes this.
  8. kaplan Aug 2, 2020

Thank you, I hope so too, I think these watches are a part of history at this point, so unless it's a recovery task, I can't modify them anyway - but I bought the watch as a companion, currently have a Stowa pilot that I sleep with, the lume is great at night when you wake up in the middle of the night, but in the long run, it got me wishing for a day/date - even though it's available on all digital devices at this age, I still feel days slipping away

This one is peculiar as well, from the side view, if you zoom in, it looks corroded (if it's bronze, plated with something, than the plating has come off) Reference: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/montagne/vom-020/

Untitled.png Untitled 2.png

But on the dial close-up, it looks kinda great, I wonder if it's just a reflection, a photo touch-up, or maybe a sand/paint job - in any case, close up, it looks good, gave me more hope (the star on the other hand, is most probably corroded)

I've seen many 1000+ caliber Omega's with plating issues, yet, not with these older models, I didn't even consider it while buying, only issues I came up with were corrosion staining on the dial itself, on those watches with water damage

TL;DR: At this point I either hope it's a reflection, and if not, the omega logo is steel so it's easily restorable

9. kaplan Aug 8, 2020

Small but positive update, indeed it wasn't corrosion or oxidation

The Omega logo seems to capture reflections at indirect angles (seeing so many of them in the last weeks), as far as I see, only the top 2 lume applications might be torn, everything seems ok (I didn't receive the watch yet, but saw another photo with a direct angle)

I also want to thank Speedmasterfan88 for the photos on his sale: https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...e-ref-168-029-cal-751-serviced-c-shape.91911/ - Those are some nice angles as well :)

And once again, thanks for all the input and the photos

Yelfel likes this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2020

Very nice watch!

janice&fred likes this.
  11. Yelfel Aug 9, 2020

Adding my newly acquired C Case Constellation in white gold to the conversation. The dial is definitely a champagne in some lights and silver in others:

IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg

Zdzislaw and wilderbeast like this.
  12. Zdzislaw Nov 5, 2020

@kaplan below corroded dial visible clearly with the second photo I requested from seller. On the first one it was hidden with the lighting. The second one supposed to be straight angle ;)
    upload_2020-11-5_19-51-56.png

upload_2020-11-5_19-50-28.jpeg

kaplan likes this.