Forums Latest Members
  1. CodeFour Jan 25, 2018

Hi Members!
    I have been reading the forum for some time and joined recently. I have acquired my first vintage Omega and I would love to read any thoughts, information, impressions, or anything at all you have to say about it. I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but I have appreciated the advice and knowledge of forum members particularly in the "fakes" areas of the forum, because I believe (I hope, I hope, I hope) I've properly evaluated this watch to be genuine and in fantastic shape (maybe a redial, I'm not certain on this, thoughts?). So here's the story:
    Last week I popped into a clock and watch shop I had never visited before. It is the kind of place you couldn't purchase a new luxury watch but, for guys like us, was filled with character and nostalgia. A very kind lady asked me if she could help me with anything and I thanked her and told her I was just getting acquainted with the shop. She asked me if there was anything in particular I was interested in. Making small talk and expecting to leave the shop in a couple minutes, I told her I love vintage Omega Seamaster watches, but that I had never actually handled one in person. To my surprise she responded, "Oh, you mean like this one?" The owner of the shop got in touch with me later and we had a great conversation. He made me a good deal since he could see how excited I was about it and he was happy that I wasn't just trying to turn it around and make a quick buck. I'm still learning about the watch, but the case back shows reference number 165007 and the movement is a caliber 710. It keeps great time. The shop owner told me that he bought it from a friend who is an avid collector. The things that make me believe it is genuine are the markings on the case back, the quality/appearance/markings on the movement, and the style of the dial and case corresponding to the 21XXXXXX series serial number on the movement. The things that make me a little wary (but not enough not to love it) are the unusually outstanding condition of the entire timepiece, the printed rather than applied Omega symbol, and the fact that so far I'm having trouble finding a picture online of this exact model looking exactly like this. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the story and the images, and I'd love to read your replies. Cheers.

wrist.jpg caseback.jpg box.jpg movement.jpg
  2. doog Jan 26, 2018

I don't think you’ve got any worries about your new purchase being fake, and an added bonus to get such a great looking box with it. The 710 calibre is interesting in that it’s an extra slim movement specifically for jewellery according to the Omega calibre list, and its the first I’ve seen. The list has this calibre dated to 1966, and a 21m serial would put the movement around 1964 so it’s within the ballpark. Enjoy.

CodeFour likes this.
  3. Edward53 Jan 26, 2018

I can't find any fault with it. Great first purchase.

CodeFour likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Jan 26, 2018

That is one funky watch case - I would guess it is somewhat earlier than the watch? Both looks good, but is the bezel flat of does it slope downwards? From your picture it looks to me that the bezel could be missing; hope this isn't the case! :)

CodeFour likes this.
  5. fjf Jan 26, 2018

CodeFour likes this.
  6. 77deluxe Jan 26, 2018

I think it looks great. Congrats.

CodeFour likes this.
  7. Vanallard Jan 26, 2018

Welcome to the Omega club, that is a fantastic find. I'll add that the case is solid 18k gold, in the unlikely event that you were not aware :)

CodeFour likes this.
  8. CodeFour Jan 26, 2018

Edit:
    Comparing to the closest matches online I can find, and looking very closely, I think you’re right. I think I’m missing a bezel. That is unfortunate, but I still enjoy it very much. How would one go about replacing it (other than the obvious searching online until I go blind)? What about having one made by a jeweler?

Edited Jan 26, 2018
  9. kkt Jan 26, 2018

Great box! And very nice watch too.

CodeFour likes this.
  10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 26, 2018

Very nice first Omega. Welcome.:thumbsup:

CodeFour likes this.
  11. ConElPueblo Jan 26, 2018

Having one made would be... Expensive. To say the least. I am afraid that finding one will be next to impossible :(

CodeFour likes this.
  12. doog Jan 26, 2018

It does look possible that it’s missing a very slim bezel, none of the photos I can see on the ‘net are conclusive either way. Somebody with access to an Omega parts list for this reference may be able to shed some light, but 18k versions of this may not be either common or standard in manufacture. That said, it’s still a cracking looking watch and the bezel issue really doesn’t detract from that at all.

CodeFour likes this.
  13. CodeFour Jan 26, 2018

A complete stab in the dark, but this YouTube video shows a gold Seamaster DeVille which appears to be from the same era if not the same year as mine, appears to have the same case, and the dial looks very similar. Of course this is not an apples-to-apples comparison, but it is gold and without a bezel, like mine. I’m going to treat this as “proof” that mine is complete and designed without a bezel...the same way I treat the fact that there are Olympic athletes my age as proof that I could be an Olympic athlete :)
    But seriously, thank you all for the kind welcome and helpful information.

Edited Jan 26, 2018
  14. Sherbie Jan 27, 2018

Nice pick up

The box could have been sold with the watch, but i think its actually from the 1950s, based on what i have seen previously.

Please see below ( not my watch or box, but this looks completely genuine)

264B3DA1-6AF3-4340-B1F4-8075B8A73709.png 2A684D67-D78D-4FC5-BFAE-93469D5298C6.png

CodeFour likes this.