Forums Latest Members
  1. d13_slh May 6, 2021

Hello,

I am buying my first Omega watch, and without giving any further details on why, I've decided between two quartz Omega Constellations:

1. Constellation calibre 1532 - year 2015, 35mm, 9mm thickness;
    2. Constellation Double Eagle, calibre 1680 w/ perpetual calendar - year 2006, 35mm, 11mm thickness.

They are both in the same condition and have the same price (different sellers), both with original box and papers. They both have the same servicing price.

Apart from the minor visual differences between the two (regular vs Double Eagle, slightly different thickness), I've also noticed the movements are different in terms of number of jewels and 1680 also having a perpetual calendar.

However, the 2015 watch is much newer and I've seen Double Eagle has (at least from what I've seen) generally a lower resell value - hence I am very confused and would like some advice - which one would you choose between the two and why?

Many thanks and all the best,

2. d13_slh May 7, 2021

Hello,

Does no one have an opinion about the above?
    Even the slightest of help would be appreciated.

Thanks

3. LuckyLes May 7, 2021

My first Omega was a Cal1532. It has been and still is a great watch. I now have 5 Omegas. They are addictive.

4. LuckyLes May 7, 2021

By the way, a little intro seems to go down well amongst this group, I found out the same way.
    LuckyLes

5. d13_slh May 7, 2021

Thanks @LuckyLes :) an intro as in a story? Why would that be a requirement to someone sharing their knowledge and offering help?

Anyway, in case someone else will have the same question - I am leaning towards the 1532 as it's newer and hence my assumption is that it would need to be serviced later (but not necessarily).
    Full service by Omega here is a staggering £360. It does include quite a lot, so it is well worth, but it would be a shame if one has to pay that sooner rather than later, which might be the case with an older movement.

I was also wondering re jewels number. 1680 has more because there are more moving parts, as it has a perpetual calendar. The jewels themselves are worthless so it does not indicate a higher resell value and it does not indicate more quality.

Other than the fact that it may have to be serviced earlier, I don't know why 1680 has a lower resell value - I thought the perpetual calendar is desirable, but to be honest it doesn't mean much to me - I think I like the 2mm reduction in thickness more.

If someone else has got more insights and does not require a story to be provided (^^), I am very interested in hearing what you've got to say!

Cheers and all the best

Edited May 7, 2021