Forums Latest Members
  1. chipsotoole Jun 27, 2018

Hello Omegoids,
    So I got a bit of bad news from my watch guy today. The Omega Stingray/Cobra I bought for mega cheap a few months back has a shot movement. As he puts it The balance spring is shot and quite a few parts of the winding group are defective beyond reasonable repair. He said a repair would be more costly than a replacement movement.
    So technically replacing the entire like for like movement would still technically constitute a Franken yes?
    The thing is, as Tissot 2481 is essentially the exact same movement and seriously cheaper than a cal 1481.... So I bought a cheap recently serviced (apparently! ;)) cal 2481 Tissot Seastar for 85 Euros .
    seastar.jpg tissot1481.jpg This is the Omega movement
    s-l1600-1.jpg I now have a number of choices:
    1) Simply drop the entire Tissot movement into the Cobra and drop the Omega movement into the Seastar, clean it up and sell it for parts/restoration (with full disclosure)

2) Cannibalise the parts I need from the 2481 and effectively rebuild the Omega movement and sell the leftovers on as spares repairs.

3) Swap out the Omega and Tissot marked plate and make a true Franken...this option is the least attractive as the metal colours are clearly different and if I really wanted to do a Franken number on it, I'd have to swap out the 2481 plate at the bottom too. This would also probably be about as much hassle as rebuilding the 1481.

I don't plan to sell the completed watch anytime in the next few years, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on what is an item with very limited market appeal. That may change in the future. I'm trying to keep overall costs under 450 USD.

I have seem to have a weakness for 70's designs (though even I draw the like at Mk III's and 125's :)).I plan to wear it in rotation with my other watches. If and when it does get sold I'd like it to be as much of an Omega as possible (again with full disclosure)...
    Now I'm about to post and re reading what I've written here, I think it might possibly always bug me slightly if I simply do option 1 even though it's an identical movement to all intents and purposes...I guess I must have become an Omega snob along the way.
    Out of interest , what would others do....
    I'm counting on a sassy reply from Troll squirrel.::facepalm1::

2. airansun In the shuffling madness Jun 27, 2018

Number 2, the clear choice.

Spruce likes this.