Forums Latest Members

omega 145.012 ebay scam from Peru ebay user: jewellwatcheseirl

1. Juan Mar 30, 2018

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Spee...027257?hash=item441a6b79b9:g:wTAAAOSwRCNauo-RPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network . this seller is using the photos of an old ebay publication, that watch is for sale now in ebay # 273096946662, sure will cheat someone, very common in Peru users in the valuable Omega publications, look at their other articles. I do not know how to advertise on Ebay, if someone can do it, it will do the buyer a favor. Sure all the posts of that user Peru are scam

larryganz likes this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 30, 2018

Juan likes this.
  3. larryganz The cable guy Mar 30, 2018

When you say "old ebay publication" do you mean an old eBay sale or old eBay advertisement? Or do you mean a publication like an article or book?

Without being to prove to eBay that these are recycled or reused photos from a previous sale, and that the current seller does indeed not have this same watch in his possession to sell, then I don't know what we can do to report this. We'd need more proof or they will ignore reports. Then the buyer will have to hope that eBay buyer protection kicks in if it's a scam.

4. Juan Mar 30, 2018

Hi Larry : the watch that the Peruvian is offering is the same that is in this ebay publication # 273096946662, the photos of the Peruvian are from a previous publication of the same user who has it for sale at $ 12000.

5. bloomy Mar 30, 2018

So how does this work? Someone pays paypal and gets tracking and when they open the package there is a lime? Then the buyer opens a paypal chargeback and files a police report, then the seller and buyer keep their money?

6. khanmu Mar 30, 2018

Or the second and third parts of the scam happen (or variations of it):

- “there’s a problem with my PayPal account, could you put the money in my mother’s/brother’s/spouse account”, or

- “ I’m happy to send the watch on approval and you pay when you get it, but could you send me the cost of insured and tracked shipping, $40/70/100 as PayPal FF”

Obviously enough people fall for it and hence they keep doing it...

bloomy likes this.
  7. Juan Mar 30, 2018

I honestly do not know how it works. I imagine that the scammer withdraws the thousands of dollars from his paypal account and then closes the account. When the dispute is opened, the money is no longer there. There are many cases like that. Or they return an empty box.

8. cimo Mar 30, 2018

Due diligence would suggest against buying watches on eBay from sellers in Peru.

Personally, I avoid all of South America and Eastern Europe too. Fakes out of Poland and Romania are prolific.

felsby likes this.
  9. morningtundra Mar 30, 2018

10. morningtundra Mar 30, 2018

You’d think PayPal and the Card company would be able to identify the receiving bank, account number and owner to black list them... or at least maintain a “high risk watch list”...

It really bothers me that I’m this day and age of electronic audit trails there’s no recourse for fraud like this. We know the Buyer Protection Guarantee isn’t worth