Forums Latest Members
  1. omega-me Aug 18, 2016

Hello,
    I've found an old Omega 14389 (Seamaster) watch that belongs to my father (1959-1962 period). I want to repair it because the glass is broken and the dial is yellow.
    In a jewelery they ask me about 20€ for the glass, 160/180 € for the new ceramic dial and 60€ for the revision of the watch. Total: about 250€.

I can't find how much this watch worth. Do you think that I should repair it? You would spend 250€ to repair this watch? I'm not an expert and I would like to know if it worth 250€. Repair or not repair it? this is the question :)

You can find a photo of the watch here: http://www.poshtime.com/watches/3024.151f.jpg (this is NOT my whatch, just an image of the model)

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 18, 2016

How bad is the dial? Can you provide a picture?

3. omega-me Aug 18, 2016

Hi, thak you for your reply.
    I don't have the watch at the moment but I'll try to post a photo if possibile. Do you know how much the watch can worth? I find prices from 250 to 3000 $ online and I can't understand the medium value...

4. omega-me Aug 18, 2016

Sorry for the double post.

The jewelery kindly sent me a photo. The the attached image.

img.jpg
  5. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 18, 2016

Is that patina or water damage? Looks pretty streaky.

6. ConElPueblo Aug 18, 2016

A few issues here...

The question is not about repairing it because it needs repairing, it's...

...Whether the watch will have a monetary value that is €250 higher after the repair. If it's about sentimental value, it's a completely different game.

I don't think the watch will gain much value from servicing, but I'm pretty sure that it may well lose value from

First off, the dial isn't ceramic, it's lacquered. Secondly, the shop will most likely NOT replace the dial with an identical, new dial - they (or someone they farm out the job to) will get the dial cleaned and refinished, which is likely to make the watch look different from what it did when new - have a look at some of the examples of how bad THAT can go here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/worst-redials.2304/

At the very least, insist on having them explain the procedure for you and seeing some examples of their finished work. Collectors would probably shy away from redialing (even though the dial is pretty heavily "patinated") and for them it will make the watch lose value, not gain. Others might find it adds value - just don't blindly say yes to getting it restored.

Waltesefalcon and Dr No like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 18, 2016

Value tends to be in the case and original dial condition hence the variance in price and the need for s picture.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  8. omega-me Aug 18, 2016

I don't know if the watch has ever been used. I think that the yellow color is due to a patina and not to water but I really can't be sure about it.

I asked if they use original spare parts and they said YES. They also said me that the CERAMIC of the dial will be reworked from the original one. After your message I understand that I may have misunderstood what they wrote and they will do a sort of CLEANING of the original one. But they really wrote that the CERAMIC will be re-made.

So are you suggesting me to do not re-dial it?

P.S. I can't believe that the "worst redial" watches are made from professional people. They must be amateurial re-dials

Edited Aug 18, 2016
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 18, 2016

I'm going to call water damage. The worst is near the crown. Redialing will lower the value of the watch. What you need to balance is at what cost is a sympathetic restoration going to run vs the value of the watch to you or at resale.

10. omega-me Aug 18, 2016

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will not do nothing with this watch. I like it and it would be great if it could be repaired as new, but if I need to spend 250€ for "destroy" the watch's value I won't do it. I read on other forums that a rework of the dial will likely halve the value of the watch also if it's done well. I could do it if I want to use the watch, but the value will be far lower.
    You definitely convinced me that is not a good idea. I'll keep it as reminder of my family history but I'll not repair it. The game doesn't worth the candle.

Thank you! You saved me to spend 250€ for a bad idea.

11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 18, 2016

In my opinion keeping it, unless you simply want to consign it to a drawer, take it out from time to time to look at it, then put it away again, may not be the best answer. What you have at the moment is a non-functional object that cannot do what it is intended to do - that is to be worn and to keep time (reasonably accurately. As such, it's only value is sentimental.

If you have it refurbished, you may find you have something that you can wear every day and will have utility beyond the purely sentimental. Yes, the cost may be more than the watch is worth if you sold it in its present condition, but you have already said you have decided to keep it.

A while ago, I had three of my late fathers non-running watches refurbished. In two of the cases, I'd guess that the costs outweighed the value of the watches, but now my two brothers and I have functioning watches that can be worn rather than left in a corner of a sock drawer.

I would go down the restoration road, but the watch is yours, and of course, so is the final decision.

12. omega-me Aug 19, 2016

This is a good point of view and I would repair it for a lower price... but 250€ is a too high price if it is not balanced by the watch worth. For the same price (or lower) I may buy a new watch. Not good as an Omega, but good.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 19, 2016

The shop can say what they want. The dial is not ceramic and even a replacement will not be ceramic.
    Dials on 1950's Omega watches were generally some sort of lacquered paint over a base metal. This was usually brass, but sometimes precious metals like silver or gold were used.

I suspect something is being lost in translation here.
    gatorcpa

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  14. omega-me Aug 19, 2016

The translation is correct.
    ceramica.png

Maybe the jewelery shop is not so expert... anyway, I decided to not repair/redial the watch :)

15. François Pépin Aug 20, 2016

The dial is one thing - and I agree you should not have it redone or "ceramiced"! But the service is another thing and your watch needs one. It has likely suffered a water damage at some point. Probably too late to prevent the damages but a service will deal with them.

By the way, 60E for a service... Well you cannot have a correct work done that cheap! I would spend the 250E - maybe a little bit less, but probably more if parts needed - for the service alone!

Edited Aug 20, 2016
  16. omega-me Aug 21, 2016

My father and I went to a shop which repairs watches just to know how much it asks. He confirmed a 50-60€ price for the service. He said the internal movement, the balancer, is perfect and don't need a lot of work (let me know if the translation is not clear because I'm not sure how to translate the technical terms). He disassemble the watch's internal parts, clean these parts and reassemble them testing that everything work fine. He also provide a certificate (or warranty) of the work.
    I think the watch is perfectly working as I used it for almost a day and it worked fine.

17. tamura Aug 21, 2016

Same dial (no ceramic:)), other reference.
    strap9.jpg

Waltesefalcon and TNTwatch like this.
  18. omega-me Aug 21, 2016

Beautiful!

Have you done any rework on it?

19. François Pépin Aug 21, 2016

Well, if it happens to be true, you absolutly should have your watch serviced! If it had not have one for years, it is a good idea even if you think the watch is working fine.

I am surprised by the service cost. I know that there were old watchmakers charging that sort of money in France (not in Paris!) till a few years ago. But they tend to retire and, actually, cannot anymore charge you 60 euros for a full service and pay taxes, equipement, the rent, and eat.

Maybe it is different in Italy (if that is were you live). But if it is a full service, even on a rather simple and perfectly working movement, it is about a 2-3 hours work. Do the maths!

There is a watchmaker on the main French speaking watchmaking forum that used to say that when you pay cheap service you should except cheap service (not sure of my translation, but you get the idea!).

But I would certainly have a try with this watchmaker! Could be the goose that lay golden eggs!

20. omega-me Aug 21, 2016

Yes, we have chosen to do the service. He is a watchmaker like the ones you were talking about. It's the last watchmaker in my city (the last I know), a 60+ old man which opened the shop in 1984. I think he will retire soon. The shop always has a "back soon" message on the door... you need to call him on his phone and he comes out from the house next door and opens the shop! But he is a professional and passionate watchmaker and he does his work very well. I think he is near to retire... :)
    anyway, he suggested to NOT rework the dial, too