Forums Latest Members
  1. pamjack Nov 28, 2014

hi
    I am new to this forum and don't know much about watches, I have inherited an omega speed master 105012-66 with no strap its serial number is 25448*** and has a 321 movement. a local watch maker gave me this information and he thought the watch might be an original moon watch and have some value, it has been serviced by an omega agent and is fully working and he gave me a guarantee, I would like to sell it as I have no use for it but I am at a loss how much to ask. the watchmaker told me it was in original condition but he fitted a new glass and seals, I have looked on ebay but can not find the same model, can anyone help

2. speedyfan Nov 28, 2014

Can you post some pictures?

3. Georgieboy58 Nov 28, 2014

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. JohnSteed Nov 28, 2014

Post on eBay with 0.99 cent start price and watch wot happens. One view

Post pics here if you'd like some help.

If you're clear you do want to sell....

5. repoman Nov 28, 2014

Hi Pamjack, you've come to the right place. Many of the members here joined because they inherited a Speedmaster and they want to find out more about it, sometimes to sell, sometimes to keep, and sometimes they end up changing their plans once they find out more. The good news is your watchmaker gave you some good information to start with, the bad news is, if you are interested in selling the piece, condition and originality are a major factor in determining value, and for that you will need to post pictures for us to evaluate. I would like to start off by suggesting you find out everything you can about the watch first, then, with all the information, decide if you want to sell or keep (not before).

Based on the information provided, a 105.012-66 Omega Speedmaster Professional is a very collectable watch. The Speedmaster is a chronograph watch, meaning it has a stopwatch function. The Omega Speedmaster is probably the most iconic wrist-watch chronograph in existence, partly because it was the watch selected by NASA for all manned space missions, most famously, the Apollo program. This particular reference was made between 1964 - 1968, it is the same reference worn by Neil Armstrong on the Apollo 11 flight, and the first reference to use the "Professional" designation. Your serial # puts your watch as one of the very last in this reference, and most 105.012-66 case stamps were actually made in 1967 or 1968. (parts are stamped well before actual assembly in the factory). Assuming it was your relative who purchased the watch new, he or she had very good taste. The watch certainly has value in any condition, but the better conditions the better the value. Also, one of the members here has put together a pretty good pricing guide which is a place to start, take a look at http://speedmaster101.com There you can lookup your reference for more info, and consult the pricing guide as a starting point If you post pictures here, please post high quality photos of the following:

1. top view of the watch showing the entire dial and hands.
    2. side views from the right and left side of the case, the right side having the crown and pushers (this is where a lot of wear-and-tear happens)
    3. picture of the case back

It would be REALLY nice to see a photo of the internal movement with the caseback removed as well, if possible for you.

Last, consider keeping the piece in the family, and handing it down. If it is all original in good condition, value will keep going up, plus, this watch has a family connection that can't be replaced. Nothing wrong with selling it of course, you just don't want to regret it later.

Edited Nov 28, 2014
  6. mozambique Nov 28, 2014

Welcome to the forum!
    Sounds like you have a gem in your hands (plus '66 was a great year!)

7. pamjack Nov 29, 2014

It was difficult getting photos and unfortunately I cant get photos of the movement but here goes

PB290009.JPG PB290010.JPG PB290011.JPG PB290012.JPG PB290013.JPG
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 29, 2014

Its a Central Boites case by the look of the facet lines on the lugs.

My first impression was the hands were new, but the last picture does show a little aging. The subdial hands do look too new.

The dial plots look a little blobby to me, not necessarily re lumed but less attractive than some.

The bezel is later than one that was originally fitted but this really should only affect the price.

I think it is a good watch. Case unpolished, original dial. Correct size pushers.

The things to bear in mind, if buying, would be a service obviously, find a period correct bezel, and check those hands.

On an auction this will sell very strongly, given the history which the appearance of the watch supports

9. pamjack Nov 29, 2014

thank you, is that what the CB stands for after the model number i didnt mention it originaly i wasnt sure i had read the watch makers writing correctly, sorry for my ignorance, but what are the dial plots and does it make much difference that the hour markers are stained ?

10. Buck2466 Nov 29, 2014

The CB case Speedy's are highly sought after because of their unique case (lugs). The hour markers were originally white in color, over time they will age and develop a patina. As mentioned above, originality is everything to a watch's value and to a collector. Heed the advice above and you will have no problem getting it sold for a nice amount of money. I would bet there are several members on here with their eye on it.;)

11. mozambique Nov 29, 2014

Very nice watch. Often the facet lines on the CB cases are absent because of over-polishing during watch servicing. Pretty attractive to a vintage Speedmaster collector.

12. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 29, 2014

Thats a lovely example, as spacefruit has covered off everything I will just go as far as to say IMHO these watches are on the cusp of really flying in value

13. Davidt Nov 29, 2014

As above really. Looks a nice honest example that a lot of folk on here would be interested in. Very nice.

14. repoman Nov 29, 2014

Thanks for posting the pictures pamjack, I'm with the crowd here, I think the watch is overall a very good example of a 105.012-66 Speedmaster. The best parts about this watch are the unpolished CB case, the dial and caseback look to be original, and what looks to me like original pushers. The watch was serviced at some point in its history, and unfortunately, the hands were replaced with newer ones, correct for the period though so not altogether that bad. The crown also looks like a replacement to me (pic is a little fuzzy), and as others said, the bezel (i.e. the black aluminum tachymetre ring) was replaced with a newer type and that probably has the biggest impact on value, as Speedmaster collectors really really like the original bezels (it may seem like a silly thing, but having a bezel with a dot completely over the the top of the "90" and a dot diagonally beneath and to the right of the 70 are a big deal to collectors).

You asked about "dial plots". Dial plots are the longish brown rectangular objects at the 5 minute markers on the dial. Those markers were originally painted with a Tritium coating (yes, radioactive) material so they would glow in the dark. Tritium decays and degrades into this darker color over time. The hour, minute, and chronograph hands are also coated with Tritium and will discolor in the same manner. Collectors look to see if the discoloration is even, and matching between hands and dial. You asked if it makes a difference that the dial plots are "stained"... I would say the uneven coloration, and the color differences between the hands and dial will affect price, but only a minor amount and certainly not enough to worry about.

You own a very nice vintage Speedmaster. I know you said you have no use for it... but, at least consider putting a strap on it, wearing it, and hanging around here with the rest of us Speedmaster junkies... you may be surprised how quickly you can become attached. If not, look no further than your private messages here on Omega Forums, no doubt you will receive a few offers from respected members. If you've not sold a watch "online" before, it can be a bit tricky - trust between buyer and seller is everything. There is a sale forum here, but you would need to contact the moderators and ask if you can post in that forum (there is a requirement you need 200 or more posts on this forum before you can post in the for sale section, but they are willing to make exceptions - you will need to decide what you are willing to sell it for as a value is required. Ebay is another option of course, downside being shady buyers on ebay and fees.

I'm tempted to send you a PM myself, but, I've WAY WAY WAY exhausted my Speedmaster budget this year, and I'm sure my friends and family expect Christmas gifts, which would be in jeopardy if I buy another watch :D

Edited Nov 29, 2014
  15. mozambique Nov 29, 2014

Funny, but '66's seem thin on the ground (my birth year). See '65's and '67's, but not that many '66's recently

16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 30, 2014

The thing is, many of those sold in 66 will have been models from prior years - so you can still have a birth year watch confirmed as sold in 66 by an Extract of Archives, which is a -64, -65, etc reference.

This isn't just down to slow moving stock at dealers. Catalogues from 66 & 67 clearly show straight lug 105.003 models for sale alongside the twisted lug models we associate as "correct" for those years. There are members here who bought-65 refs brand new in 1967, for example.

I will try to post a pic from my 1966 catalogue a bit later today.

JohnSteed likes this.
  17. Davidt Nov 30, 2014

If you are thinking of selling, it may help to know what part of the world you're in. As mentioned above, trust when selling is everything so ebay or a face to face deal may be preferable

18. pamjack Nov 30, 2014

19. pamjack Nov 30, 2014

I am in the UK , I was not expecting so much interest, I might take your advise and mull it over what to do but your comments have been really interesting, who knew how complicated it could be? !! I feel I have a responsibility to the watch now, does that make sense

20. mozambique Nov 30, 2014

Perfectly!
    It is an historical piece, plus an inheritance