Forums Latest Members
  1. bokbok Mar 5, 2017

Hi All
    Just wanted to check I have the wrong chrono hand on my ed white and I seen a set that taken off a 1967 145.012 and was hoping to swap them all also think they a better match. My Ed white below and the hands I seen for sale for £500 posted . I would post a wanted for a tritium hand set for for a ed white, but do not have the privileges as yet :) thanks

Edited May 29, 2018
  2. ezinternet Mar 5, 2017

Hi - Your chrono hand is clearly the newer model with the squared off tail.

From the bright colors, and given the age of the watch, it appears that the hour and minute hands are also new service replacements. The sub-dial seconds hand appears to be a mismatch: slightly too short and straight rather than pointed.

If you want to restore the aged look then the handset in the pictures would certainly do the job. It would be a less jarring match to the aged worn lume on the dial (which is certainly appropriate for an Ed White).

Just worth mentioning that Bob Ridley of Watchmakers International, whose work on vintage Rolex is well respected, has a process for stabilizing the lume on old hands. I'd be concerned about the lume crumbling and breaking off over time. Perhaps other watchmakers can do a similar process. I would not re-lume those vintage hands.

Just my $0.02 - Good luck!

3. bokbok Mar 5, 2017

Hi
    Thanks for the reply, I know the handset I have is incorrect for the Ed white just wanted to confirm the full handset in the pictures will go on my ed white before I purchase them ;) I no intention of Re luming the hands If I purchase just want to get them put on :D

4. noiseboyuk Mar 5, 2017

Whilst I'm not an 'expert' - the replacement handset does look correct to me.
    In my opinion it would certainly be worthwhile to replace your current handset with the one pictured.
    It will make the watch look 'right'.

5. bokbok Mar 5, 2017

Cool I already messaged the chap to buy them [emoji6]

6. bokbok Mar 6, 2017

Just had a friend who would fitting the hands put a spanner in the works, that has said "the handset if I buy it may be worn hence why taken off in the 1st place!" also the tritium might crack and break when attaching to my ed white. Is this true ? seems an expensive gamble at £500

7. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 6, 2017

Has your friend seen the pictures? The pics seem to be of a fairly high resolution.

8. bokbok Mar 6, 2017

Good question will ask him now. He does servicing etc... Watch repairs ...

9. Dash1 Mar 6, 2017

You could also change your incorrect crystal for the correct one with black armour ring at the same time. Would further improve the look imo.

Taddyangle and M'Bob like this.
  10. bokbok Mar 6, 2017

The crystal is incorrect too [emoji53] what is the correct one ?

Edited Mar 6, 2017
  11. M'Bob Mar 6, 2017

Good catch. I thought the earlier one would actually look better, but somehow, it doesn't.

12. bokbok Mar 6, 2017

Earlier one ?

13. M'Bob Mar 6, 2017

My limited knowledge: there is a tension ring under the crystal. The one on your watch is silver, and is usually seen on the model before yours. The one on yours should be black. I think they call it a "rehut." The actual plastic crystal part is likely the same on both.

Dash1 likes this.
  14. bokbok Mar 6, 2017

I get you now !! Well I bought it off the original owner who purchased in 1966 for a sum of £60 and I have the box and warranty booklet plus the shop receipt. He had It on order lol doubt he had it changed as he only ever get it serviced[emoji53]

15. M'Bob Mar 6, 2017

The question is, should you bother to change it at this point. A personal choice. If it were me, I might just leave it.

16. bokbok Mar 6, 2017

Correct I agree not fussed, it is that incorrect chronohand is getting on nerves OSD kicking in :mad: but I have seen a few the same similar age with silver ring

Edited Mar 6, 2017
  17. bokbok Mar 6, 2017

On another note can anyone confirm any problems regarding using hands taken off another watch and being worn especially the chrono hand ? And placing on my ed white ? As it's a £500 gamble if purchase them[emoji53]

18. M'Bob Mar 6, 2017

You can do a search on this topic, it has come up very recently. The short answer: not a problem typically for a competent watchmaker.

19. bokbok Mar 6, 2017

Ok thanks for your help [emoji6]

20. jaguar11 Mar 6, 2017

The Raleigh Burner in that colour/ wheel combo brings back some memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy times!!!!