Forums Latest Members
  1. MacBrag Mar 28, 2020

Hello good fellows,

I am thinking of buying my first Omega and join the vintage watch family. I have read a lot about the mine field on vintage and am inclined to strike a considered deal.

What am I eyeing:
    IMG-20200327-WA0035.jpg

This vintage Omega got offered to me. I like chronographs and gold so it ticks some boxes. The buyer could meet in real life so I get the chance to thorougly inspect it but want to be prepared.

What do I see?
    The case does look nice and correct. However I see some polishing on the lugs.

Dial:
    The dial looks Nice but what worries me in the lack of arrow in the tachymeter, however some models do not seem to have it. Also, the printing on the subdials look too far of the edge, and the 3-6-9 and 6 o' clock look too fat. Not sure how right I am there. Also, I cannot find watches with a flat topped A in 'Omega'.

image-27-03-2020_16-03-47-18.jpg

I would appreciate someone checking my first experience with an authenticity check, also to see if I am any good at it.

Cheers guys, let me know.

Passover likes this.
  2. Passover Mar 28, 2020

I'm no expert on those but:

the case is totally overpolished, the lugs nearly "melt away" compare it to this one:

[​IMG]

(crown is also wrong)

Hard pass IMO

As you already mentioned, dial looks like it is repainted

OMEGuy and MacBrag like this.
  3. MacBrag Mar 28, 2020

Is that an original specimen? :)

4. Passover Mar 28, 2020

I don't know :)

After 60 years you won't find too many examples which are still in exactely that condition they were produced.

Check the forum and the internet for other examples and compare all the details.

I'm shure you will get an experts opinion from a forum member...

MacBrag likes this.
  5. JerryB Mar 28, 2020

These are quite a bit smaller than a speedy in real life . Get a speedy as much more aesthetically pleasing than the watch you are considering , in my opinion ..

6. Passover Mar 28, 2020

Where do you know that the OP wants a big watch like a Speedy? ;)

7. Dan S Mar 28, 2020

Aside from the over-polished case, I am concerned that the tick marks don't extend to the edges of the sub-dials. I haven't checked other examples, but it just looks funny at first glance, so perhaps more research is in order. Before buying a watch like this, you should do thorough research by identifying and creating a photo archive of correct examples for comparison.

8. MacBrag Mar 28, 2020

I am not looking for a Speedy, true!
    AM with you on the tick marks! Advantage would be I could trade one of my other watches in the deal, but for me its too risky. Think ill let it pass.

IMG-20200328-WA0001.jpg
  9. OMEGuy Mar 28, 2020

It is clearly a redial.

MacBrag and Passover like this.
  10. JerryB Mar 29, 2020

Having seen these online , I was surprised how small they were when seen in the flesh . So definitely one to see with your own eyes , before agreeing any thing .

MacBrag likes this.
  11. MacBrag Mar 29, 2020

Thanks all! Will let it slip.