Forums Latest Members

Olongapo Bands/Bracelets: An Interesting History Continues

1. pseikotick Apr 17, 2020

I first saw an "Olongapo Band" while stationed at Clark Air Base, Philippines in the 80s. On one of several trips to Subic Bay Naval Base in Olongapo, Philippines, I saw one on the wrist of an anchor clanker shopping at uniform sales. He explained that he'd had it made by a shop off base. I filed that info for future use.
    olong2.jpg
    Unfortunately, like the Daytona I passed on for 650 usd about that same time, I never ordered an Olongapo band. I think I feared they would wear uncomfortably. Since, I have learned that is not the case if the fit is correct. Unlike the Daytona error, which would now cost 50 to 75k to fix, a custom Olongapo can still be had for 100 and change, and is made by the same guy who was making them in the 80s...maybe even into the 70s.
    olong1.jpg
    The bands go back to at least the Vietnam War era and were popular with USN personnel and others who might visit TDY to pick up some other "necessities" in the area near Subic Bay. I never saw them for sale near Clark where I was stationed, so it is not common to see USAF insignia on them. They can be made to fit any watch and are extremely sturdy. I am waiting for two I ordered and were delayed by the pandemic, but I have worn a few others over the years.

If any of you owns one of these unique pieces, please share, and if there is a story, even better. I'll post mine when they arrive. One is bare steel, and the other has two USAF insignia like the navy band above. And if you're interested in ordering one, you can find the maker on Facebook if you search "Olongapo Bands." He has been making them for about 40 years, so I think he has all of the kinks worked out by now.

MoclovFlop and Mad Dog like this.
  2. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Apr 17, 2020

Good info...thanks, dude. I didn’t get one of the “Olongapo Bands” either when I was in the PI in the late 1980s and the early 1990s. Now I’m wishing I did. I did get a belt buckle, however...

825D42BC-DAB6-4CC5-A1EE-BDC41BCE71B9.jpeg

Also, I believe OF member @river rat has one or two of the those bands...or maybe it’s someone else here at OF...not sure.

In addition, please stop saying “anchor clanker”...it really upsets me. :D

0uss likes this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 17, 2020

I'm upset he left off the "wanker".
    Sp4 Buck

KingCrouchy and Mad Dog like this.
  4. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Apr 17, 2020

Gee whiz...now I’m really, really upset. :D

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 17, 2020

Would that be "anchor clanker" rancor?

Vitezi and Mad Dog like this.
  6. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Apr 17, 2020

I just received this band attached to a project watch. Looks really similar to what you're posting. Any chance it's from the same maker?

Or just in a similar style?

Unknown-13.jpeg Unknown-14.jpeg Unknown-15.jpeg Unknown-16.jpeg

7. TexOmega Apr 17, 2020

Dial with nice patina with Candlestick Hands.JPG Olongapo bracelet with US Armed Forces Deep Diver 1st Class symbols.JPG Seamaster 300 on Olongapo Bracelet.jpg

US Diver 1st class symbol and on the buckle the name in script.

1200px-Navdive2.png

Serial # circa 1967 per extract.

Edited Apr 17, 2020
    0uss and Mad Dog like this.