Forums Latest Members
  1. duc Oct 27, 2018

Hi, I bought this watch a year or so ago, secondhand. Although I like it tremendously, it doesn't get a lot of wrist time. Today when I went to charge it (shake it), I noticed a sound that seems like the rotor spinning freely or the mainspring unwinding coming from the watch. It never used to make that sound. It is running and has been for a couple of hours with no trouble, but any time I shake it, it still sounds the same.

I think it has a 7750.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be, or how I should proceed?

o&w1.jpg

ras47 likes this.
  2. time flies Oct 27, 2018

Others may choose to elaborate. The sound you hear, and may feel, is a characteristic of the 7750. All things being equal? Wear the hell out of it.

20181025_092657.jpg
    Breitling Chrono Avenger circa 2001 with a breitling caliber 13 movement (base valjoux 7750.)

have fun
    kfw

tikkathree and duc like this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 28, 2018

Perfectly normal. ‘Charge it’ by winding it 60 tunes with the crown then wear it. Shaking it a few times won’t put enough energy into the spring to prevent it running like crap. The 7750 rotor only works in one direction and free wheels the other which is the sensation you are felling and hearing. It’s not the most elegant trait or reassuring feeling.

4. duc Oct 28, 2018

I've been devouring information from the net on this.Here is how Worn and Wound described it in a January, 2016 article (referring to its character):

From the moment you pick it up, the Valjoux 7750 most certainly has it. As you move it, it wobbles at you in a friendly sort of way. That’s because the rotor – the small weight that converts motion to power – only winds when it rotates clockwise. When it moves the other way, it’s freewheeling. The inertia of the weight means it spins on its central ball bearing race – hence the trademark friendly wobble. You won’t find that with your Newman Daytona.

Thank you for responding. After posting last night I took it off. Now I'll get to put it back on in confidence.

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 28, 2018

Echo the responses... These have a very noticeable auto wind. When I got my RGM 455 ... I was amazed at how noticeable the rotor movement was.

duc likes this.
  6. Faz Oct 28, 2018

Don't shake it. Give it 30 or so winds. Except for some Seikos, automatics should be wound before wearing.

Cheers,

7. tikkathree Oct 29, 2018

Yes, it's a wobbler - the 7750 movement so when you flick your wrist you will see the watch case wobble as the weight spins. It's (relatiely) a big weight and sometimes it can be heard as well as being felt. I'd venture to suggest that as you don't give it a lot of wrist time, you're noticing the difference between the 7750 movement and almost every other auto watch rather than any change in the performance of the watch and movement.

duc likes this.