Forums Latest Members
  1. watchsk Apr 4, 2015

As a person who purchased the Seamaster 300 Co Axial about a month ago, I find myself thinking about the older Seamasters of the previous generation. At this point, I am in no position to buy another watch but at some point one of the older Seamasters would be appealing to me. I wanted your opinions on the following:

1. Do you think the Older Seamasters will continue to climb in price over the next few years or have they hit a plateau and will be able to be purchased at the current price levels . The one I covet is the 2230.50 but I am going to have to wait till most likely next year at the earliest. I through a few photos in of the older images.jpeg Nonac3.jpg Seamaster I like.

2. What about the fact that Omega has pretty much exited the 1000-5000 price point area. I had a thought last night that they might introduce some models in that zone as they have the production capacity and resources to make nicer watches than many of the brands at that 1000-5000 level and it would keep collectors into the brand where they could graduate to the more expensive pieces later on. On the other hand, maybe they don't want that market and have decided to put their stakes firmly into the 5000-13000 area. It seems to me this are missing an opportunity to lure in collectors who can only enter at that lower price point. What do you think? There are a lot more people who can afford the lower price point and would really like to get into an Omega and they are pretty much moved to the pre-owned market at this time.

dougiedude likes this.
  2. yinzerniner Apr 5, 2015

Nice piece, the 2230 is pretty underrated and undervalued IMHO, so picking up one as soon as finances allow would probably be the prudent choice.

As for why Omega's left the mid-priced space, I think a lot of it has to do with the realization in the past few years that the entire European horological industry is leaving that space. They know that they are basically making jewelry and luxury items, and for both markets perception is everything. So esoteric materials (ceramic, liquidmetal) in-house movements, and higher points of entry are all being established as the norm. Also, if you're truly in that price range the used market is your friend.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 5, 2015

That model, the non-AC is one that should do well, its an excellent watch with a superb dial that wasn't made for all that long and really looks a step up from its contemporaries including the AC.

4. Hijak Apr 5, 2015

Not sure of the values but I'll never let go of my Electric Blue SMP300...
    Wrist Shot, 10.JPG

5. Shem Apr 5, 2015

Gorgeous! I've owned 3 of these and I'm considering getting another. I think I keep selling them almost entirely because I can't find an example that's in mint condition, and I'm very careful with my watches so even something that's "gently used" tends to look like it's been thrown in a blender compared to my other watches.

6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 5, 2015

I happened to lose track of the whereabouts of mine (within the house), and when I found it one hour ago, I slapped her on as a reward, so mine says 'Hi'!

IMG_3129.JPG
  7. Hijak Apr 5, 2015

Thanks Shem, the beauty of these E.B. dials is hard to capture with a picture but love the way natural light reacts with them. And Doug I would be very disappointed if I lost track of my E.B.:( I try to keep watch box space for all of my watches but its starting to get out of control again. May have to get one more box.;)

8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 5, 2015

I was negligent in moving my E.B. from the 'portable' container used when traveling a few weeks ago, and I had forgotten. I guess it was jet-lag, but it should have gone into my 'main box right away for safe-keeping... needless to say, today there was a nervous few minutes until I found 'er!:eek:

9. Drawarms Apr 5, 2015

price for this watch is a upside down bell curve if you ask me, yet prices will hold steady and if anything will climb due to demand as mint examples are less existent with time.