Forums Latest Members
  1. jcdmorris Apr 27, 2018

Hi. Net to OF and interested in older ref 2577's, but acknowledge I am a neophyte and prone to mistakes. Given this, I am doing my best to research, research, research before committing to any purchase. I am keen to use the sales forums on OF, as the forum is full of experts and can help police any dubious offers.

I have seen the following ref 2577 cal. 354Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network on ebay.

In evaluating it, mostly as an exercise to improve as a potential buyer, I am checking the following aspects.

<-- I welcome any feedback / guidance on my evaluation -->

Case (over-polishing):
    - lugs seem sharp
    - can see scratches on case, seeming to indicate at least no recent polishing
    - caseback does not look overpolished, but SEASMASTER script looks fairly worn
    - inside case back is fairly clean with some dates from old servicing

Movement:
    - cal 354 seems to match period / case
    - seems to be an even color of movement pieces (rotor, base, bridge, etc)
    - visual condition - some soiling, but seems OK
    - crown is clover, which should be correct for this model

Face:
    - Lum - does not look to be re-lumed at all or recently- lum is dark
    - lum on hands - dark
    - lum on hour "arrowheads" - hard to tell, but dark

- Face condition / patina
    - Appears correct for period (although many, many 2577s faces, so only going on the Omega database (link))
    - Does not appear to be re-painted (at least recently) - see some deterioration - not "super clean"

Hands
    - hour / minute look ok based on Omega database pic
    - seconds hand looks too short and (red flag?)

Script on Dial
    - I in automatic lines up with A in Omega, seems correct
    - S in Seamaster seems correct "wire hanger" style
    - I do not see a "Swiss Made" on dial below 6 on dial
    - this seems like a red flag for a repaint long enough ago to deteriorate to current condition. Is that logical?)
    - there may be there - in one picture, seems to be something at 6, but I cannot easily see it
    -Dial placement within case
    - Hour markers seem "crowded" against case versus the reference pic - is that a thing to look for?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sat968 Apr 27, 2018

You are going to want to create a new thread in the forum to get the information you seek. This thread is only for links to recommended watches, not inquiries.

3. seekingseaquest Apr 27, 2018

Seconds hand is definitely too short, but otherwise it seems kosher.

I’d want to get better photos of the lugs to see whether it’s been polished (based on the case back and what I can see of the lugs, it seems fine). I’d also want photos of the dial in different lighting because while it looks nice in the first photo it just looks sort of drab and dirty in the second.. that’s more personal preference though. I believe Swiss Made does appear below 6 but additional photos would confirm that too.

Price is high but maybe could get it down with an offer.

jcdmorris likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Apr 28, 2018

Good assessment :thumbsup:

The seconds hand, as stated above, is short - the tip has probably broken off at some point. The dial is somewhat dirty, but far from ruined. It hasn't been refinished and the case is good.

IMO, the dial is verging on being too dirty, but it might look better in a different light. The price is high-ish, but not unrealistic. If the seller will take $100 off the price, someone will buy it.

jcdmorris likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 28, 2018

The dials in these can shift a bit, Swiss Made may be there but hidden. Watch looks pretty good to me, I can tolerate a bit of 2577 dial character (ie deterioration) since my 2 were pretty grotty but I still like them. As noted above it looks pretty original, the case looks good and serial is right for a late model (early 50s) 2577. If the seller will move on price a bit I would say it isn’t a bad choice. The mechanical condition is the big question mark though, you may need to put a few bucks by for an immediate service.

Edited Apr 28, 2018
    jcdmorris likes this.